Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,067,109 times

Advertisements

Who has camped in a tent for more than a few weeks?

I'll be traveling through the US for some time by car, and would like to camp for very low cost, or free, preferably the latter.

Some of the campgrounds charge more for a night at a campsite than I would pay at a hostel.

Since I'll have a car with me, I don't think I would be able to hike for a while until I found a site while leaving the car somewhere.

What do you pros think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,274,946 times
No, I've never tent camped for more than a few weeks at a time.

To save money, don't use commercial campgrounds unless it's just to stop and take a shower. They'll often let you do that for a few bucks. Truck stops are good for cheap showers too.

For camping, many city and county parks offer free or low-cost camping. State parks and COE campgrounds don't usually charge tent campers much either. And as long as you ask first, many farmers wouldn't mind if you pitched a tent for the night if they happen to have a timber or pasture with no livestock.

Many places won't allow camping, but they will allow you to pull over and sleep in your car for a few hours. For that it would be a good idea to have some mesh or screen so that you can open a couple windows a bit without letting in too many mosquitoes, etc.

When you get further west, BLM lands and National Forests are normally free outside of campgrounds (dispersed camping). There are some restrictions and they vary; normally you must camp so far from roads, so far from streams, so far from lakes, etc., sometimes no fires, particularly during forest fire season. Always be sure to leave the area as clean or cleaner than what you found it.

I've never had a problem with theft from my cars except in cities. That's not to say it can't happen, but if you lock your car and don't leave any valuables in plain sight, you shouldn't have to worry. If something major does disappear, you've probably got comprehensive insurance with $100 deductible.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,783,246 times
I have not tented for more than 2 nights in a row,and, that was years ago. However, having worked in the RV industry for several years I do know that many private parks either do not take tenters or, they charge way too much for a basic boondocking site. They do it to discourge tenters.

I too, would recommend a state or county park. And regardless of where you stay, get a lay of the land and think safety first.

Enjoy your journey, and, keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,377,422 times
Around here there are plenty of free camp grounds if you want to sleep, but they just have outhouses no showers and such. There are books which show these camp grounds by each state. Folks from overseas do this to save money when they vacation here.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,067,109 times
Found this website:

freecampsites.net

It has many listings.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,290,035 times
I tented across the country back in 1982. Probably different back then than today, but we were able to stay in city parks, fair grounds and even behind a few fire houses. It might have helped too that we were all riding bicycles..but there were 12 of us.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM

219 posts, read 440,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There are books which show these camp grounds by each state.
What is the name of the book?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,811,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
Here's one good one....

Amazon.com: Guide To Free Campgrounds-West 13h Edition: Includes Campgrounds $12 And Under In The 17 Western States (Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds Western Edition) (9780937877494): Don Wright: Books

Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,377,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
The one i bought is just california but i know there are many others.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,587,311 times
I don't know why anyone who doesn't have an RV would want to camp in a private park. Other than hookups, there is often nothing to recommend them in the way of scenery, nature, etc. Go with a state park or state forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing