Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:02 PM

86 posts, read 171,735 times

Advertisements

Grover & Seaside are similar in that they are both not the most desirable locations on the central coast.

But a lot of us have Carmel dreams and Seaside budgets so we have to make do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
What part of LA are you in? I used to live in Torrance and it wasn't that bad as long as you were near the coast. But it was definately hotter than the Central Coast.

Anyway earthquakes aren't as much of a major issue up here. LA County is more active which is where I grew up. But for me it still isn't something I have ever really worried about. Read this thread which talks about the same Question with respects to Monterey: https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...insurance.html

If you are still concerned about it you can do more research online regarding the historical data. Then get a quote from insurance companies on the various regions in question. The odds seem pretty low, but ultimately the decision is yours as to what type of insurance you will get. Derek
We're at the gateway area to the SFV so we were a few degrees lower than the hotter areas of WH, CP, etc which got up to 108-110--ungodly weather. Yeah my perspective was off on your pic. Assuming a backward C, you're at the bottom looking at the center of the curve. I've heard that Seaside and Marina are a little dicey in parts like Salinas, I'll try to find something in Monterey. Google map is wonderful with that street view thing they have now. I was "cruising" through the area just west of the del monte shopping plaza--nearby is the whole foods markets, and Trader Joe's up the street and close to the Monterey hospital on scenic drive. Little circular street called alta mesa circle would be ideal for me.
As for the earthquakes, yeah, i heard they're not as big an issue there as down here on LA. If i can't buy, I'll try to to long term lease. Thanks for the helpful info. Envy you for your Monterey pad so close to the bay!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
Grover & Seaside are similar in that they are both not the most desirable locations on the central coast.

But a lot of us have Carmel dreams and Seaside budgets so we have to make do
Carmel dream is not such a bad thing to fall sleep at night with.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We're at the gateway area to the SFV so we were a few degrees lower than the hotter areas of WH, CP, etc which got up to 108-110--ungodly weather. Yeah my perspective was off on your pic. Assuming a backward C, you're at the bottom looking at the center of the curve. I've heard that Seaside and Marina are a little dicey in parts like Salinas, I'll try to find something in Monterey. Google map is wonderful with that street view thing they have now. I was "cruising" through the area just west of the del monte shopping plaza--nearby is the whole foods markets, and Trader Joe's up the street and close to the Monterey hospital on scenic drive. Little circular street called alta mesa circle would be ideal for me.
As for the earthquakes, yeah, i heard they're not as big an issue there as down here on LA. If i can't buy, I'll try to to long term lease. Thanks for the helpful info. Envy you for your Monterey pad so close to the bay!
Yeah, actually thats what we are doing right now. We are in an awesome location just a few blocks from the beach with an ocean view. Because Monterey is out of our price range for buying we have looked into some of the nicer parts of Seaside and even stuff further out. But for now we are fully enjoying leasing in Monterey. We sold our house in CO so we know the pros/cons which come along home ownership. But sometimes leasing is a better option. Here another view form our perspective of things:

As a minimum I would recommend leasing first so you can really get to know the area. Then you will be able to make a more informed decision once you do decide to buy.

BTW, I understand why you can't wait to get out of LA now and the concern about earthquakes. That Northridge quake was a killer and I can't stand the heat of the Valley either. Its like a whole different world up here. We had enough of LA for one lifetime thats for sure! One of my favorite parts is listening the news on the way home. When it comes time for the traffic report they sometimes will say 'here's your traffic with nothing to report." You would never hear that in LA or any of the other larger cities for that matter.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-08-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California