Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,470 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to california but am unfamiliar with the state. I want to be near a ski resort, either Heavenly or Big Bear, and close to the beach. By close I mean no further than an hour and a half from either. I am not sure if this is possible . Other requirements would be dry weather, evening life, average to large city, and rent around $1,ooo/ mo for a 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. Can anyone suggest a place to move that is close to these requirements. Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTROW View Post
I am looking to move to california but am unfamiliar with the state. I want to be near a ski resort, either Heavenly or Big Bear, and close to the beach. By close I mean no further than an hour and a half from either. I am not sure if this is possible . Other requirements would be dry weather, evening life, average to large city, and rent around $1,ooo/ mo for a 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. Can anyone suggest a place to move that is close to these requirements. Thank you for any suggestions.
Why would you move somewhere that you were unfamiliar with?

What line of work are you in?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why would you move somewhere that you were unfamiliar with?

What line of work are you in?
I'm sorry but your post gets the award for most absurd.
What on earth do you mean?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Close to a ski resort and close to the beach only are possible in one area of California, So Cal. Sacramento might be a mid point in Nor Cal, two hours to the ski resorts, 1.5 hours to the beaches off San Francisco (which are freezing cold). San Diego is too far from ski resorts. Southern California sort of gives you both and that is the only place I can think of in the state that can give you both. Your rent is sort of low for a nice area though. Maybe some communities in the Inland Empire which will be about half way to the beach and half way to the local ski resorts.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
what you're asking for is sort of difficult.. i guess you could look in western riverside(corona, norco, riverside) and northeastern OC(yorba linda, anaheim hills).. i guess that would be a decent middlepoint between bigbear and OC beaches

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTROW View Post
Well, the "width" of California is pretty similar north to south. The distance from ocean to the Sierra varies because of roadways generally as opposed to actual miles.
I'm in Santa Cruz (right on the coast) which is roughly 2 hours south of San Francisco.
Without traffic (gotta time it right!) i can get to Truckee (Tahoe area) in 41/2 hours and actually, sometimes less than that if i'm pushing it and not stopping. Sometimes it'll take 5 hours if i'm feeling mellow about the drive.
Sacramento is very roughly half way between the two.
Odd traffic conditions make it hard to nail down times exactly.
So that's the story.
I can get from Santa Cruz to Yosemite valley (west side of the Sierra) in about 5 - 6 hours. The roads are different on this trip.
Much of the trip from S.C. to Truckee for example is on HW80 and before 80 from S.C. to Truckee, i'm driving on highways equally as fast.
I'm just trying to give you a rough idea about the distance from Coast to Sierra.
I don't know about southern California ... except the crazy, crazy traffic down there which i'd never want to deal with.
So, up here, 1 - 1&1/2 hours to either coast or mountain (Sierra range) is impossible.
But living in either Truckee area or this area is another option because the trip is pretty fast and easy. Although it's relative. If you're not used to driving in the west, 4-5 hours may seem like a long drive. For me, it's nothing.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM

182 posts, read 927,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Close to a ski resort and close to the beach only are possible in one area of California, So Cal. Sacramento might be a mid point in Nor Cal, two hours to the ski resorts, 1.5 hours to the beaches off San Francisco (which are freezing cold). San Diego is too far from ski resorts. Southern California sort of gives you both and that is the only place I can think of in the state that can give you both. Your rent is sort of low for a nice area though. Maybe some communities in the Inland Empire which will be about half way to the beach and half way to the local ski resorts.
Well said.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouwse View Post
Well said.
I don't understand. I'm curious.
Where in Southern CA can you live that is 1&1/2 hours from both ocean and ski resort?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
My hometown Rancho Cucamonga is roughly an hour and a half from ski resorts including Big Bear and the ocean off Orange County.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
You might want to consider Paso Robles. Nice town, night life, nice weather. 30 minutes to the beach (Morro Bay) or less than an hour to Avila and Pismo beaches. And probably 2 1/2 to < 3 hrs. to Sierra Summit. I can think of one town off hand which is an hour and half from beach and ski (Sierra Summit), Avenal. I don't think you would want to live there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California