Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,734,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Nothing. I'm retired. If I had a view like that I'd spend the rest of my life on my deck looking at that! Nice pic!
LOL...

Well then I think you can find something along the Central Cal. Coast within your requirements. And NorCal is even an option for that matter since you are retired.

It really depends how much cooler weather you can handle. But if you don't mind some cooler areas with fog then NorCal and even Southern Oregon could work as well. Brookings Oregon is a great retirement community right on the Border of CA/OR. Plus the PNW coastline is Gorgeous!

Otherwise if you want more moderate weather the Central Cal Coast is pretty hard to beat. Even with all the heatwaves going on down south we have only gotten up into the 80s. And thats as hot as it gets. During the summer we normally get the coastal fog which acts like a natural air conditioner. Then the Fall is glorious - sunny but not too hot (70s). I much prefer it to the hot summers of SoCal which get up into the 90s+.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yeah, but that picture is somewhat deceiving, good though it is.
You would want to see that area when it's light.
In the day time, driving up or down HW1, i find it to be the most depressing places around.
But i admit, i've only experienced it from that vantage point ... the highway.
Or is that Marina that i'm seeing from HW1?
Hmm... Not really sure which area you are thinking of, maybe Marina. But I work in Seaside and live in Monterey. And I see an awesome view of the Penisula driving home every day from HWY 1. I am on the FWY just long enough to check out the waves and see the sunset depending on the time of year.

From upper Seaside there are homes which have views of the ocean and the Monterey Bay. I don't really care for Marina as much as it tends to get more fog than the other cities near Monterey.

I also think that Pismo and its surroundings could be another good option as well.

Derek

Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,787,981 times
I LOVE posts like this.....

.....the sheer entertainment value is beyond measure...

Beach front? Try the Salton Sea....unless that was not the 'beeeech' you were thinking of....

Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 AM

18,253 posts, read 16,961,107 times
From the angle and if it's taken from marina, I'd have to say it's the Monterey peninsula along the wharf area of Monterey city. If not the only other choice would be Santa Cruz, it seems. Both would be gorgeous,I would assume.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM

18,253 posts, read 16,961,107 times
Quote:
I much prefer it to the hot summers of SoCal which get up into the 90s+.
90's!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be grateful if it stayed in the 90's. But we were battling 103-104 here for a week+ straight during the start of the Angeles fire! And 100+ is common every Aug into Sept here in this arid sh*thole! And Oregon and northern Cali are too cold and damp. Nope. You're right somewhere from Pismo to Monterey is God's country for me. The only other thing I wonder is, Monterey being the greatest distance from the San Andreas fault are the earthquakes less frequent and severe there?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
From the angle and if it's taken from marina, I'd have to say it's the Monterey peninsula along the wharf area of Monterey city. If not the only other choice would be Santa Cruz, it seems. Both would be gorgeous,I would assume.
The angle of that shot is from Monterey a few blocks from the beach out our window.

But the main point is you can get some ocean views from Seaside as well which is right next door and much more affordable. The major difference is the school district which isn't very good by comparison. Since you are retired that shouldn't matter to you. Also in Seaside there are good neighborhoods and some not so good. Upper Seaside is normally the nicest part. Seaside Highlands is also very nice near the golf course and Fort Ord. But homes there are larger and newer and over your budget.

Derek

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
90's!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be grateful if it stayed in the 90's. But we were battling 103-104 here for a week+ straight during the start of the Angeles fire! And 100+ is common every Aug into Sept here in this arid sh*thole! And Oregon and northern Cali are too cold and damp. Nope. You're right somewhere from Pismo to Monterey is God's country for me. The only other thing I wonder is, Monterey being the greatest distance from the San Andreas fault are the earthquakes less frequent and severe there?
What part of LA are you in? I used to live in Torrance and it wasn't that bad as long as you were near the coast. But it was definately hotter than the Central Coast.

Anyway earthquakes aren't as much of a major issue up here. LA County is more active which is where I grew up. But for me it still isn't something I have ever really worried about. Read this thread which talks about the same Question with respects to Monterey: https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...insurance.html

If you are still concerned about it you can do more research online regarding the historical data. Then get a quote from insurance companies on the various regions in question. The odds seem pretty low, but ultimately the decision is yours as to what type of insurance you will get.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-08-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,435,381 times
Pacifica and Daly City.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The angle of that shot is from Monterey a few blocks from the beach out our window.

But the main point is you can get some ocean views from Seaside as well which is right next door and much more affordable. The major difference is the school district which isn't very good by comparison. Since you are retired that shouldn't matter to you. Also in Seaside there are good neighborhoods and some not so good. Upper Seaside is normally the nicest part. Seaside Highlands is also very nice near the golf course and Fort Ord. But homes there are larger and newer and over your budget.

Derek

That pic looks like the Presidio of Monterey/ New Monterey area imho.

The view would be Beautiful if land could be bought in Fort Ord by the Soldiers Club beach bluffs.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,737,392 times
Check out Cayucos, a short drive from San Luis Obispo Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information. Click on the real estate tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California