Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times

Advertisements

Re: Oceans and ethnic restaurants.

I too lived near an ocean most of my life, either the Atlantic or the Pacific. It's one thing I never missed until it was gone. Then I craved big bodies of water more than you'll ever know. I used to drive by the golf course just to look at the water traps. This was a good part of the reason I ended up in Los Angeles.

I also love ethnic cooking. From reading other boards, I find it interesting how far people have to drive to assemble the ingrediants to recreate some of these ethnic foods in other states. We're talking about people driving 70 miles just to get the proper olive oil and another 50 to get the right cut of meat, and then they have to drive 30 miles to buy the spices and then another 40 to get another ingrediant. And let's not even talk about the funky substitutions. There's a whole swath of the country that thinks lettuce and carrots are suitable substitutes for any green vegetable they might not be able to find in their local area.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Re: Oceans and ethnic restaurants.

I too lived near an ocean most of my life, either the Atlantic or the Pacific. It's one thing I never missed until it was gone. Then I craved big bodies of water more than you'll ever know. I used to drive by the golf course just to look at the water traps. This was a good part of the reason I ended up in Los Angeles.

I also love ethnic cooking. From reading other boards, I find it interesting how far people have to drive to assemble the ingrediants to recreate some of these ethnic foods in other states. We're talking about people driving 70 miles just to get the proper olive oil and another 50 to get the right cut of meat, and then they have to drive 30 miles to buy the spices and then another 40 to get another ingrediant. And let's not even talk about the funky substitutions. There's a whole swath of the country that thinks lettuce and carrots are suitable substitutes for any green vegetable they might not be able to find in their local area.
I MISS TRI TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Again - why should I put out my money for you??? Make your own damn money!!! I didn't tell you when and where to go - I don't care where you go. You just need to either put up or shut up. I doubt I'm the only one on C-D who gets tired of reading your anti-CA rants and how miserable you are, how much you hate it here, how much you despise anyone who you believe has more money than you. Get over yourself! Get out and enjoy your life! Sheesh!!!
Good point. I'm tired of hearing the same rants myself.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you not understand the concept of not making a move until I'm financially ready? Not everyone has a huge bank account and can afford to take off to another state on a whim. I refuse to leave until I'm ready to make it a success.
But if your contention that CA is preventing you from being financially ready (due to high cost of living blah blah blah) then what you're saying is you'll never be able to "escape California". I think you should just cut your losses. If staying in California is bleeding you dry, then you should heed your own advice and leave the state already.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
There were a lot of people out there during the real estate boom that were stupid imo and overpaid for a house b/c everyone else was doing it. Now that reality has set back in to what these houses should be valued at, many of these people are under water with their mortgage, they're pissed off, and blame CA for their own stupidity and greed. I think that may be the case with some of the malcontents you see on here.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
But if your contention that CA is preventing you from being financially ready (due to high cost of living blah blah blah) then what you're saying is you'll never be able to "escape California". I think you should just cut your losses. If staying in California is bleeding you dry, then you should heed your own advice and leave the state already.
I never said California's high cost of living is what's keeping me from getting out. I'm actually living comparatively cheap now but I have a lot of bills to pay down. Much of it is related to a financial mistake I made a while back but Ive since fixed that and am working on putting my financial house in order so I can move. I'm making progress but there's still a lot of work to be done. There's no "cutting my losses" and leaving today. Doing so would cut me off from the income I need to move.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I never said California's high cost of living is what's keeping me from getting out. I'm actually living comparatively cheap now but I have a lot of bills to pay down. Much of it is related to a financial mistake I made a while back but Ive since fixed that and am working on putting my financial house in order so I can move. I'm making progress but there's still a lot of work to be done. There's no "cutting my losses" and leaving today. Doing so would cut me off from the income I need to move.
If your predicament was caused by financial mistakes you made, then it wasn't really Califonia's fault, was it? Escaping California isn't really the answer, then.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Some people just don't understand that wherever they go they take themselves with them. Give the new utopia a couple of weeks and these people will be back to b*tching about the same old things.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If your predicament was caused by financial mistakes you made, then it wasn't really Califonia's fault, was it? Escaping California isn't really the answer, then.
But the place I'm headed has a whole lot less of what makes California suck for me.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Some people just don't understand that wherever they go they take themselves with them. Give the new utopia a couple of weeks and these people will be back to b*tching about the same old things.
And many of us have lived elsewhere so we're making knowing choices about where we take our snarky selves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California