Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times

Advertisements

You really need to take these threads on CD with a *Big* grain of salt. There are a lot of interesting charcaters on here to say the least who do not necessarily represent the majority of CA. This forum in particular seems like a place that attracts a lot of ppl who are disgruntled with their life in CA and on thier way out to *greener pastures* or have already left. It is there chance to vent. Then you get those who are pushing their own personal political agendas which tends to find its way into many non-related threads.

So to make a more rational, well thought out decision about any place you really need to visit yourself and only use CD as a starting point. This is a good place to ask specific questions. But to just lurk and listen to all the whinning is not going to do you much good except maybe to show you the underbelly of a place (if even that).

Remember CA is a huge state comprising the majority of the West Coast. You have everything from sleepy farm towns to sprawling international cities and a whole lot more in between. So to even start to understand a part of our nation so vast you will need to do more homework.

If you are at all interesting in visiting or potentially living here I suggest you figure out what you are looking for. Then ask more detailed questions regarding those interests. And remember there is no stereotype that really applies because the state has essentially every kind of climate and environment you can think of in the lower 48 except maybe tropical. All I am saying is do a little more research before jumping to any conclusions especially based on what you read here.

The positives as well as negatives are many and vary greatly based on the specific regions you are looking at. And even in those areas what is bad for one man is great for another. So on top of the obvious pros/cons there are many things which are relative to a person's preferences for climate, culture, proximity to nature, job opportunites, educational institutions, wide open spaces, etc... And the list goes on.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-19-2009 at 03:20 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,606 times
The post in this thread has been really, really helpful. I appreciate all the responses here so far.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You really need to take these threads on CD with a *Big* grain of salt. There are a lot of interesting charcaters on here to say the least who do not necessarily represent the majority of CA. This forum in particular seems like a place that attracts a lot of ppl who are disgruntled with their life in CA and on thier way out to *greener pastures* or have already left. It is there chance to vent. Then you get those who are pushing their own personal political agendas which tends to find its way into many non-related threads.

So to make a more rational, well thought decision about any place you really need to visit yourself and only use CD as a starting point. This is a good place to ask specific questions. But to just lurk and listen to all the whinning is not going to do you much good except maybe to show you the underbelly of a place (if even that).

Remember CA is a huge state comprising the majority of the West Coast. You have everything from sleepy farm towns to sprawling international cities and a whole lot more in between. So to even start to understand a part of our nation so vast you will need to do more homework.

If you are at all interesting in visiting or potentially living here I suggest you figure out what you are looking for. Then ask more detailed questions regarding those interests. And remember there is no stereotype that really applies because the state has essentially every kind of climate and environment you can think of in the lower 48 except maybe tropical. All I am saying is do a little more research before jumping to any conclusions especially based on what you read here.

The positives as well as negatives are many and vary greatly based on the specific regions you are looking at. And even in those areas what is bad for one man is great for another. So on top of the obvious pros/cons there are many things which are relative to a person's preferences for climate, culture, proximity to nature, job opportunites, educational institutions, wide open spaces, etc... And the list goes on.

My 2c,

Derek

I completely agree with MtnSurfer. And I do believe that some whining anti-Cal. people who post here don't even live in the state at all, so hence the big grain of salt.

There are many reasons to love/hate Ca. but everything is subjective.
One bright spot for an inside look at one area specifically is here:

> Home

http://www.diablomag.com/D-blog/Doug...rea-Backroads/

it's was great show, I'm always learning about new random stuff about the SF Bay Area and I've been here since the early 90's.

And his wider scope show:

http://www.OpenRoad.TV/

Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
^^ Exhibit A: People with the money to own millions of dollars in real estate think California's just fine. The rest of us just looking to buy a $300k house in a safe neighborhood that's not 50 miles from work have a different take on the state.
So escape already (as your name implies) if you don't want to be here. Nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay here. Leave!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
^^ Exhibit A: People with the money to own millions of dollars in real estate think California's just fine. The rest of us just looking to buy a $300k house in a safe neighborhood that's not 50 miles from work have a different take on the state.
This is why I pointed out your myopic OC view of California...There are lots of us in the state that have found our 300k and under house in a safe neighborhood that's within 50 miles of work.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So escape already (as your name implies) if you don't want to be here. Nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay here. Leave!
Pay me and I will be happy to speed up my plans.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
You got that right! My aunt and uncle used to live on the hill above La Jolla. On a clear day you could see about 40-50 miles. They lived in a beautiful house only a couple blocks from the top, near that cross on the top of Mt. Soledad if you're familiar with S.D. I'll be surprised if that house isn't worth a couple million, maybe even in today's market.

What's not to like about that? I'd for sure want to stay in California if I could live in a house like that!

Hey, here's a quick but I think amusing story, from when I was a teen ager. My cousin got a telescope. You can see right into the center town part of La Jolla from that house. I saw a phone booth so we drove on down and got the phone number, drove back to the house, and many times after that we would amuse ourselves by setting up the telescope on the phone booth and placing prank calls! We had all kinds of different things we'd do and we'd laugh ourselves silly until our sides hurt! Being a teen ager doesn't get much better than that!

If you're rich in California then it's great!!! If you're poor I imagine it probably sucks. If you're in the middle like I am then you're somewhere between "great" and "sucks."

I'll admit I don't know much about rural California.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You really need to take these threads on CD with a *Big* grain of salt.
There's a lot of great advice and information here at C-D. There's some trolls too, and there's some sour pusses and also some people with irrational exuberance. You have to just keep reading and learn to sort out the good stuff from the bad stuff. I suspect it takes several months of frequent reading on any area before you begin to get a good idea of what that place is like. Just keep on reading.

I sure hope I figure out where to move soon. I'll get up and go and I don't expect to be back at C-D very much after that, if at all. I'd like to spend more time living and less time on the Internet.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There's a lot of great advice and information here at C-D. There's some trolls too, and there's some sour pusses and also some people with irrational exuberance. You have to just keep reading and learn to sort out the good stuff from the bad stuff. I suspect it takes several months of frequent reading on any area before you begin to get a good idea of what that place is like. Just keep on reading.

I sure hope I figure out where to move soon. I'll get up and go and I don't expect to be back at C-D very much after that, if at all. I'd like to spend more time living and less time on the Internet.
Yeah, and unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it that is where most of the Californians are who are enjoying their lives here. They are out doing something else, you name it - surfing, sailing, hiking, skiing, rock climbing, fishing, kayaking, etc... in their spare time vs. spending time on CD.

However I have found a number of ppl to be very helpful on here as well as the other state forums. When I moved to CO and was considering Oregon at one point both boards were very helpful - to a point. So I come back to try and answer some questions and return the favor. But I think the number of ppl on here who are not moving *to* or *from* CA are fewer and further between.

The bottom line is one has to do the extra homework and leg work required to make an informed decision about living anywhere. For example I could tell you that living in CO is great for some ppl while not so much for others. Does that mean it sucks or is awesome - no at all. It is just a unique state with a lot to offer a variety of ppl. The same is true with the *many* faces/places of CA.

Derek

Old 04-19-2009, 05:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Pay me and I will be happy to speed up my plans.
Why should I spend my hard earned money to pay you? Just bite the bullet and leave - like lots of adventurous souls before you have done. Or perhaps while you're still here, instead of b*tching and griping, why not try to enjoy yourself until your new adventure comes along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California