Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM

341 posts, read 688,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Good old fashioned racism at it's finest!
I am not racist, (if you only knew) I didn't say they (or I) shouldn't be here. It's no different than someone moving to another state because they weren't happy with the one they came from and then trying to make it like where you came from.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wasn't desegregation an attempt to assimilate minorities into Anglo Saxon culture? Who opposed desegregation? Why is it that when minorities move into a white neighborhood, the whites flee? The people here who accuse minorities and immigrants of not assimilating into the domnant (ie white) American culture are purposely distorting the history of this country. It is the white majority that refuses to allow immigrants and minorities to assimilate, hence the resulting formation of ethnic enclaves.

Well, the reason I fled was because my neighborhood was turned into a 3rd world country. My parents lived in a really nice neighborhood for many years and then the immigrants moved in and destroyed it. Cars parked on the lawns, mexican flags flown everywhere, kids running through the streets without actually looking where they were going. Trash ALL over the place, broken windows in houses boarded up by cardboard, yard not being kept up etc etc. It looked like a hovel and my parents finally got fed up and left, after 20 years in that house long after their neighbors left.

I'm sorry, but if you and your family/friends move into a new country/state/city and destroy the neighborhood you live in and expect respect, you're not going to get it.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, the reason I fled was because my neighborhood was turned into a 3rd world country. My parents lived in a really nice neighborhood for many years and then the immigrants moved in and destroyed it. Cars parked on the lawns, mexican flags flown everywhere, kids running through the streets without actually looking where they were going. Trash ALL over the place, broken windows in houses boarded up by cardboard, yard not being kept up etc etc. It looked like a hovel and my parents finally got fed up and left, after 20 years in that house long after their neighbors left.

I'm sorry, but if you and your family/friends move into a new country/state/city and destroy the neighborhood you live in and expect respect, you're not going to get it.
That may be so. You flee if the neighborhood is deteriorating. But in the case of Cupertino, it is not deteriorating. If anything, it is improving. So why flee? Cupertino is a majority Asian city with high median household incomes, excellent schools, and low crime. Why do whites flee this city?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now that's almost funny. Let me see, lived in mainland China for almost two years. Japan for two and a half years. Korea for almost two years.

I've not only been to numerous Asian cities but lived in many for significant periods of time. Add having "been to" Hawaii before it became a state, Canada, Mexico (several cities) and Thailand and I think I have some perspective -- not to mention having lived in multiple cities in seven other states.

And you?
What does that have to do with the fact the US is not the only place with cities that have ethnic area's? So you've been there and what? You didn't mention anything other than you've been. My point was that other cities around the world have Chinatowns, etc. They have Italian resteraunts in Tokyo that are in Italian. Japan is the most xenophobic country I've ever been to but even they have it foreign signs OH NO!!.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
That may be so. You flee if the neighborhood is deteriorating. But in the case of Cupertino, it is not deteriorating. If anything, it is improving. So why flee? Cupertino is a majority Asian city with high median household incomes, excellent schools, and low crime. Why do whites flee this city?
Because with Cupertino the tables have been turned. White people are the lower class, the schools are too tough for their kids, and jobs are too competitive.

They won't admit it though. This is a popular vibe here in CA: "Asian people are racist because they are too smart, Hispanic people are racist because they are too dumb."

/flame on - but this is the truth and we all know it.

(I am hispanic BTW)

Last edited by Mach50; 04-24-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What does that have to do with the fact the US is not the only place with cities that have ethnic area's? So you've been there and what? You didn't mention anything other than you've been. My point was that other cities around the world have Chinatowns, etc. They have Italian resteraunts in Tokyo that are in Italian. Japan is the most xenophobic country I've ever been to but even they have it foreign signs OH NO!!.
In other countries are there USA towns where just americans congregate (excluding military bases). I am learning here that with all the Korea town, Japan town etc etc that basically we are all the same we want to be with our own kind.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
In other countries are there USA towns where just americans congregate (excluding military bases). I am learning here that with all the Korea town, Japan town etc etc that basically we are all the same we want to be with our own kind.
I just realized someone is going to call me racist because I said we want to be with our own kind. My point is that we feel comfortable with what we know. It works in other aspects of our lives. Such as politics, religion etc. We don't like to get out of our comfort zone

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Apples and Oranges, People who move to America are looking to improve their life. Most Americans who move to other countries are looking for Vacation homes. Funny thing is many Americans living in foreign countries only eat American food. One thing I find funny is when I go to Hawaii even though it's an US State, you see hundreds of tourist in line at the cheesecake factory. People like what they know.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I just realized someone is going to call me racist because I said we want to be with our own kind. My point is that we feel comfortable with what we know. It works in other aspects of our lives. Such as politics, religion etc. We don't like to get out of our comfort zone
American is not a race, a Nationalist yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California