Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times

Advertisements

majoun
Appreciate your historic information on California [are you a teacher?]. Sounds like the personal characteristics of Newsom may be an issue & could be used against him during an ugly primary but people who hate Villaraigosa cite many of the same points you make.

Keep in mind that a Democratic governor dealing with a Democratic legislature is less problematic unlike a Republican governor who has to deal with a Democratic assembly\senate as well as fellow Republicans I really do feel sorry for Schwarzenegger [he may want to go back to doing adolescent B movies].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I know fully well of your involvement in the legislature & respect your feedback. Maybe I don't know all that much about Gavin other then what I read in the LA Times [also Newsom has been on the Bill Maher show a few times & got a standing ovation]. I think people in LA like Gavin more than the Bay Area Other than being a political "animal" ["manipulative\ calculating\ panderer"] what are the negatives of his leading San Francisco? I haven't hear a lot of criticism of Gavin aside from San Francisco's "sanctuary" city stance.
Felony hair gel!

Simply put, a public official is sworn to uphold the law and that is not a "whether you like it or not" issue. If redress is appropriate then there are legal means to effect it. Loose cannons with giant egos do not usually make good leaders in the final analysis. They tend to flash in the pan (an old musket analogy).

Quote:
I really do feel sorry for Schwarzenegger [he may want to go back to doing adolescent B movies].
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold22-2009apr22,0,1846426.story?track=rss (broken link)

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Default Not over

For some odd reason,this forum thinks that the election is over,and that the Democratic nominee is in.Aint necessarily so.Assume that Garamendi runs for the House,and Feinstein stays put in the Senate.Of the three probable candidates,Newsom would be the easiest to beat in the general election.Moderate Democrats dislike him,and many Liberals that are center Left are uneasy with his Marxist/Leninist ideology.Many in these groups would cross party lines and vote for the Republican,the idenity of which is unknown at this point.Brown would be the toughest to beat,with Tony V in the middle.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that a Democratic governor dealing with a Democratic legislature is less problematic
Yeah b/c its like giving them a blank check.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
For some odd reason,this forum thinks that the election is over,and that the Democratic nominee is in.
Just the opposite. There are more anti-Newsom posts than pro-Newsom posts here.

Quote:
Aint necessarily so.Assume that Garamendi runs for the House,and Feinstein stays put in the Senate.
IMO Feinstein WILL stay in the Senate. Why would she give up the power she enjoys now? She's talked about leaving the Senate before to run for governor and nothing's come of it, not to mention the fact that she's older than McCain.

Quote:
Of the three probable candidates,Newsom would be the easiest to beat in the general election.Moderate Democrats dislike him,and many Liberals that are center Left are uneasy with his Marxist/Leninist ideology.
I wouldn't call Newsom a Marxist/Leninist. Demagogue yes, communist no.
I'd say they'd be more uneasy with how he's run San Francisco.

Quote:
Many in these groups would cross party lines and vote for the Republican,the idenity of which is unknown at this point.
Depends who the Republican is. Meg Whitman is too conservative for California and has ties with Mitt Romney, who's not popular in CA. Steve Poizner or Tom Campbell vs. Newsom, yes.

Quote:
Brown would be the toughest to beat,with Tony V in the middle.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Note that in Jerry Brown's almost 40 years of running for office in California, he has only lost one Democratic primary EVER - and that was to Bill Clinton in 1992 for President. He has the 2nd highest name recognition of any California politician next to Arnold and won the race for Attorney General by a bigger margin than any other candidate for statewide office in 2006.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
majoun
Appreciate your historic information on California [are you a teacher?].
No, just a history buff particularly interested in California's history, being a native son of a (first generation Californian) native mother, who has lived in both Northern and Southern California, who has friends and family in Northern and Southern California, and who has a genuine love for the state despite what some people might think from my posts.

Quote:
Sounds like the personal characteristics of Newsom may be an issue & could be used against him during an ugly primary but people who hate Villaraigosa cite many of the same points you make.
Gavin's flaws are Tony's times 10. I have some very legitimate criticisms of Tony but would definitely prefer him to Gavin. .

Quote:
Keep in mind that a Democratic governor dealing with a Democratic legislature is less problematic unlike a Republican governor who has to deal with a Democratic assembly\senate as well as fellow Republicans
Tell that to Gray Davis

There is a difference. The California Democratic Party is not a monolith. How would Gavin deal with "Blue Dog" type Dems from rural California? The Supes are NOT a representation of CA as a whole.

Quote:
I really do feel sorry for Schwarzenegger [he may want to go back to doing adolescent B movies].
As he has announced he is retiring from politics after the end of his term (mainly because the poll results in a hypothetical Arnold/Boxer matchup saw the Governator losing handily), if Terminator 4 does well enough at the box office to justify another sequel expect Arnold to pop up in Terminator 5.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
For some odd reason,this forum thinks that the election is over,and that the Democratic nominee is in.Aint necessarily so.Assume that Garamendi runs for the House,and Feinstein stays put in the Senate.Of the three probable candidates,Newsom would be the easiest to beat in the general election.Moderate Democrats dislike him,and many Liberals that are center Left are uneasy with his Marxist/Leninist ideology.Many in these groups would cross party lines and vote for the Republican,the idenity of which is unknown at this point.Brown would be the toughest to beat,with Tony V in the middle.
Marxist/Leninist ideology? Do you know what a Marxist is? I don't think so.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Marxist/Leninist ideology? Do you know what a Marxist is? I don't think so.
I doubt BlackShoe knows what a Marxist is, or else he's confusing demagoguery (which can be of any political bent) and "glamour politics" (not generally associated with the far left) with Marxism.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
What's Newsom's deal with Treasure Island? There's a story there.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Default Labels

Am also a student of history,and quite aware of ideology.By just about any yardstick,Mr. Newsom is considered to be a far left radical.As we have commented on,even many members of his own party are uneasy with him.He is considered to be to the Left of Barack Obama.Some of you may recall the recent comments made about Obama by Alan Keyes.If Mr. Keyes is correct,then surely they apply to Newsom.Mr.Newsom has been anti-military,anti-free enterprtise,and just plain anti American in just about every way.His pro illegal immigration policy and pro gay marriage stance has earned him the emnity of all Conservatives and many Moderates.Im being sarcastic now,but on a recent trip passing through San Francisco I was a bit surprised to actually see a few American flags flying.Really expected to see lots of hammer and sickle banners fluttering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California