Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,960,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm sorry Dan, but we'll always have California!

I just gotta get out of this place. It's been getting too nutty for me for decades now, and now that I've evidently retired I have no career to keep me here. I wanna go some place quiet so I can have some peace for my final years. I can always get on the Internet when I want craziness.
Nawwww..............you'll be back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Every time I ask that question I get burned with a response of "Oh, I work from home in my jammies..(pulling in $200K)...."
Hey, "ancient futures"! It's all coming back around to the very sane and civilized way of how it used to be. Way back when some 150 years ago, before the Industrialists took the means of production from the average Joe, working from home was quite normal. Now, with a laptop, high-speed Internet connection and something to offer in terms of skills or services, the means of production again belong to the average Joe -- and Jane, of course! So, small-town Montana. Why not?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
I have lived in a city about 35 miles north of Houston, Texas. It's nice and quite here. But now I have to move back to California becuase of my hosband's job. If anyone is considering moving out of California, and bear the humidity, Texas is not a bad option. Living cost is relatively low. I don't see much of effect due to the slow econimy where I live. You can get a 4-bedroom house with a nice size lot for $250k. Just be aware of mosquitos in the summer!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 AM

44 posts, read 124,016 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of leaving too. There isn't any commonality amongst ex-Californians about where to go. You should discuss this topic with people living in the areas you may like to move to.

In other words, we are not leaving California together. We are leaving separately, to separate locations.

It's time for all of us to say goodbye one last time, and then go forth and multiply. Oops, that's God! Wrong situation!

In any case, we are alike only in that we are divided. We are all going somewhere else, and it's time that we depart and go our separate ways.

Good luck!
We left Cali and moved to Oklahoma. We live in a town with mountains, a beautiful lake and lots of fishing. We now have ten acres and low taxes. Less than $180.00 a year. And if you are a veteran you can apply for no sales taxes. Tax exempt. This could apply to disabled vets only. I need to double check that one. LOTS of Californians moving to Oklahoma. Its like the dust bowl, in "reverse"! I have met so many Californians, I have lost track. Even several couples from Las Vegas. Oklahoma is different. But, I can't say I miss smog, high property taxes, the ghetto bird flying over the city and seeing gang "scribble" on every place you look. I have not a had big mosquito problem either. BTW, I can drive to Cali in no time if I want to visit family. I-40 goes straight to Barstow. Its an easy run. I KNOW Oklahoma is NOT for everyone. Just check out our Oklahoma forums. Its not perfect. But, it may be worth checking out.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,152,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameoldsonganddance View Post
We left Cali and moved to Oklahoma. ... I KNOW Oklahoma is NOT for everyone.
I'm glad you found your perfect place! I just hope I can find my own perfect place, soon.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM

635 posts, read 1,687,718 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of leaving too. There isn't any commonality amongst ex-Californians about where to go. You should discuss this topic with people living in the areas you may like to move to.

In other words, we are not leaving California together. We are leaving separately, to separate locations.

It's time for all of us to say goodbye one last time, and then go forth and multiply. Oops, that's God! Wrong situation!
Nooooooo! I'm needy.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Well, we've also got CD to keep in touch! I've decided that I won't hang out in CD's LA section and read the posts after I move, but at the same time I accept that my curiosity will probably keep me reading the LA and CA posts for a long time. Particularly if you have the big one!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Quote:
Well, we've also got CD to keep in touch! I've decided that I won't hang out in CD's LA section and read the posts after I move, but at the same time I accept that my curiosity will probably keep me reading the LA and CA posts for a long time. Particularly if you have the big one!!!
Which destinations are you considering?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 PM

151 posts, read 460,188 times
Smile Oklahoma

I think more and more people from various part os the country are considering Oklahoma. I'm in Chicago and have been on this site for over a year now and Oklahoma may be a nice place to live if it weren't located in tornado alley. This is why I would definitely consider dome homes or earth sheltered homes if I were to move there.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Which destinations are you considering?
AZ, NM, maybe CO or TX. I can't bear to live outside the Southwest. I'll never live anywhere else, although I don't mean to be negative on anywhere else.

Or maybe OR/WA/Cascadia. But probably not because I like the desert. Gotta be something broke if it rains every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California