Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM

9 posts, read 19,573 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to California and would like to know some of the best areas to live. I need somewhere not more than 55 miles north or south of LA. I want someplace near the beach, but also affordable (I can't do much more than $700/month for rent). Above all, I need someplace SAFE. I am moving from Boise, so that is what I am familiar with. My family is scared for me to move down there. They think I am going to cross the border into California and instantly get murdered. I also want a smaller town, not more than 120,000 people, but still with good shops, restaurants, etc. I had an interview for a job in Torrence. What is it like? I've never stepped foot into California, so I am sort of starting from scratch here. I heard Thousand Oaks is very safe, but also spendy. What's it like? Oh, I am a recreation professional. So, near outdoor recreation and recreation facilities would be good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
There's no solution to that equation. You'll need to spend a lot more, live in a shady area, or go far from LA.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony74 View Post
I want someplace near the beach, but also affordable (I can't do much more than $700/month for rent).
You'll have to double that (and maybe more) for anything decent and it won't be near the beach.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
I am going to be moving to California and would like to know some of the best areas to live. I need somewhere not more than 55 miles north or south of LA. I want someplace near the beach, but also affordable (I can't do much more than $700/month for rent). Above all, I need someplace SAFE. I am moving from Boise, so that is what I am familiar with. My family is scared for me to move down there. They think I am going to cross the border into California and instantly get murdered. I also want a smaller town, not more than 120,000 people, but still with good shops, restaurants, etc. I had an interview for a job in Torrence. What is it like? I've never stepped foot into California, so I am sort of starting from scratch here. I heard Thousand Oaks is very safe, but also spendy. What's it like? Oh, I am a recreation professional. So, near outdoor recreation and recreation facilities would be good too.
Is it imperative that you be close to L.A.?
Nosey question but Why?
I'm bias but the central and northern coast might suit you and, though $700 for a rental right on the ocean will be difficult (if not impossible) to find, there are communities up here that you may like and that would be more affordable.
Also, if you have family in Boise, the drive back home to visit will be shorter ... relatively shorter.
I've done the Santa Cruz > Blaine Co. drive more times than i can count in the last few years.
And, regarding safety, i feel fine here in Santa Cruz county (where i'm living at the moment, we don't even lock our doors) and, from watching t.v. when i spend time in Idaho, Boise and surrounding areas seem to be having their fair share of crime.
If you're open to other coastal area in CA, let us know.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Are you planning on having a job before you move? I sure hope so. You say you have an interview in Torrance, it is a nice town, certainly not small but near some small towns. The biggest problem you are going to face and it is huge, is your rental budget. $700 a month isn't much if you want to live near the beach or anywhere near Los Angeles and in a safe neighborhood. i can understand how your parents feel, but tell them you probably will not get murdered, you may starve to death but you will not get murdered. You mention Thousand Oaks, it is nice but nowhere near Torrance which is where your job interview is.

I will ask the question I always ask, why do you want to move to California when you have never even stepped foot in the state, do you even have friends and relatives there?

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I agree with the others; why near LA? I absolutely love LA, but your budget isn't going to go far.

There is no "best" place to live, only what is best for you, and right now given the job situation in California the answer may be completely directed by where you can get a job. If you get a job offer in Torrance than use that as your starting point to look for a place; once you have a job lined up you'll also have a better idea of budget. With $700 anywhere near the LA area you're going to have a tough time, especially if you're really concerned about safety and want to live near the beach, but maybe you can find a roommate situation that is within at least relatively easy driving distance of the beach. I assume most LA salaries are going to be higher than what they are in Boise, so if your $700 figure may be able to go up a little.

I love California, but if all you want (which may or may not be the case) is nice weather near the beach, you'll probably have better luck in another state at this point in time, especially if you don't really love big city living. The LA area is going to feel huge, and doesn't really - based purely on your post - sound like what you're looking for.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 PM

I have family in Riverside and friends in Bakersfield. I am a bit of an adventurer and I've decided California is my next adventure. I was hoping near LA, but would settle for more north towards San Francisco (I also know people there). I know some people in LA and it seems like it would be cool to be near Hollywood and the celebrities. But, as per my adventure, I just want to be able to explore and a central location seems to be more condusive to that. Are any of the small coastal towns between LA and San Francisco any good? I have some money saved and don't necessarily need a job before I go and may just want to camp around before getting an apartment. Any campgrounds that are good and not sketchy? My mom died a year ago and her love was the ocean and she passed that love onto me. We put her ashes off the coast of Oregon and I feel closer to her near the ocean. I don't need a place right on the beach, but if it's an easy day trip that would be good. And again, some place SAFE. I am used to living in some slightly sketchy areas (W. Boise, Greeley, CO, Portland), but not really near gangs or things like that. I've just heard so much about gangs and crime especially near LA. Oh, and I haven't been able to find a job since I moved to Boise a year ago and have found that there are lot more (and better) rec jobs down in California.

Last edited by harmony74; 08-15-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
not more than 55 miles north or south of LA.
I want someplace near the beach,
I can't do much more than $700/month for rent.
not more than 120,000 people,
Bummer. I found a place on the beach for $695/month with 115,000 people but it is 56 miles from LA. Cross that one off.

Quote:
They think I am going to cross the border into California and instantly get murdered.
Anything is possible.

Quote:
I am a recreation professional.
What is a recreation professional?
What is the demand for recreation professionals these days?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 PM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
I just typed a long post and lost it. What I was saying is look at Ventura and Oceanside. A little further than 50 miles, but both nice places with the pop being somewhat at your goal.

And I said don't camp, but do rely on your friends for some guidance about this place. Lots of good people but enough no goods to beware of at all times.

CA ain't Pleasantville.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What is a recreation professional?
What is the demand for recreation professionals these days?
Anything you do recreation or leisure wise, there is somebody behind the scenes making it happen. Anything from national parks to the YMCA. So, there is always a demand and California seems to be a better place with more jobs. That's why I have targeted it. I also have a B.S. in Recreation.

Anyone know about Monterey or Santa Cruz? What parts of Ventura or Oxnard are safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California