Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
Overall a perfect cone is a decent estimate for redwood volume, so if the trunk has a typical taper and crown structure and the height and diameter are known the volume can be estimated plus or minus fifteen percent. Of course it gets a lot more complicated than that for precise measurements.
Mark
After posting last night, I went back to my folders and reviewed some old photos of Adventure, and how non-uniform it's trunk is. The medium base does have some initial taper, a sort of curvature-taper commonly seen with redwoods. Its upper trunk is irregular, aggregate, and elliptical in a couple places.

The Adventure photos convey that redwoods like the one below in RNSP likely have equal or more wood volume in the main bole than Adventure. May be different when "bits & pieces" are added. But for the primary trunk, comparable. The photo was taken from a hillside with the lens aimed horizontal to avoid distorting the taper.

Presently, redwoods like this or Adventure appeal more for photography and enjoyment.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-10-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 AM

225 posts, read 469,807 times
Very nice pics, Mr. Vaden. Your pics show how you do this out of pure love for the redwoods, while FR aka totallyawesometroll is only doing this out of spite and a desire to cause damage to the redwoods.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,822 times
So I have been following this for the last few weeks, very interested at times, very amused and entertained at times, confused and really pissed off, especially at the couple of individuals that feel they need to broadcast the locations of certain tress and areas, and their total lack of care for the impact on the entire area, not just soil compaction issue but for the other plants and the animals of the region. I would really like to understand the mentality of totallyawesometruthsayer and also to OldManWinter (And yes I am throwing him in there because of the constant use of highlighted names of creeks, named trees and groves) as to WHY he/she feels the need of directing hordes of stupid people that have no clue or care as to the damages they will do to the area surrounding these trees. Because we all know, many humans do not give a damn about anything but except doing/seeing/taking what they feel is “Their” right, because they pay taxes and feel it ultimately belongs to “Them”, have no understanding of the sensitive balance of nature and how all it takes is the loss of one small thing to disrupt the entire ecosystem.
I am not an educated/degree holding scientist, but I do work closely with and I am friends with several, I have done my own research on the flora, fauna and mycelium’s of the area. And I understand and have seen the repercussions of impact due to damages that can be caused whether it is by nature or man.
For those of you that make the statement “These trees have been here for hundreds if not thousands of years and lived” is completely and totally invalid. Until the last 100 years this ecosystem has not had to live in an environment that exists today. The logging effects, changes in water flow due to the logging, opening up of the canopy, pollutants from industry, automobiles, drought conditions all have an effect on the redwood forests that are left.
I am a middle aged woman, with arthritis, and I try to get out into the redwood forests and visit the trees every opportunity I get. It is therapeutic for me, I hike alone, sometimes with my small dog (gasp), I stay on the trails most times, but I do occasionally stray and pick my footing very carefully for both my safety and the forest. I have read, researched, graphed on maps, talked to individuals, taken thousands of pictures and just wander in PC, RNP, MW, HRW, along the coast, and even some private property. I have found on my own, at least 9 of the champion trees, and all done so with little to no impact on the area. Considering most are basically right close to trails and easily seen from said trails.
With all that said, Should the general population have access to the champion trees? No. The majority lack the knowledge or respect to not cause damage to the area. I see no reason to give the information to the clueless careless masses when there are plenty of trees of size for them to see without damaging the forest.
Oh and BTW my personal opinion of FR and totallyasewometruthasshat, you’re nothing more than a disease in the forest.
Diseases can be eradicated.
For the rest of you
[May the Forest be with you…..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-redwoodsgoldbluff.jpg  

Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM

225 posts, read 469,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyK413 View Post
Oh and BTW my personal opinion of FR and totallyasewometruthasshat, you’re nothing more than a disease in the forest. Diseases can be eradicated.
This is the best post that I've seen on this entire thread. Excellent reasoning and comments. By the way, I haven't actually given away any info that peeps didn't already know. Remember, some posts made are diversions.

By the way, word trickled through the grapevine today that a confirmed name has been obtained for the owner of FR. It turns out Thomas Davidson was not a legit name. But this one is. So we can all sleep a little bit better tonight.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Why don't some of you Redwood Fanatics focus your ire on the scumbag criminalien pot growers screwing up our forests and wildlands.

I'm all for keeping the location of these pristine trees on the down low through online subversion but I sure hope none of you are harassing people just wandering the forests looking for these majestic trees.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
[font=Times New Roman]So I have been following this for the last few weeks, ... CUT ... I see no reason to give the information to the clueless careless masses when there are plenty of trees of size for them to see without damaging the forest.

Oh and BTW my personal opinion of FR and totallyasewometruthasshat, you’re nothing more than a disease in the forest. Diseases can be eradicated. ]For the rest of you May the Forest be with you…..
Your choice of words is interesting because back in reply #255 I wrote:
Quote:
Anytime 300 people succeed in doing anything successfully and just 2 people trigger opposite results, the difference is as vast as good health vs. disease.
Regarding the totallyawesome person, its unclear why they even post here since the majority of readers won't buy into the propaganda. I'm not equating them with FRs, but find the mindset almost equal. A couple of us did not rule-out that they may have some association with FRs. But I'm not drawing that conclusion.

Correction ... had another thought about "why"

totallyawesome first appeared under that name and interjected at OldManWinter. It reminds me of a style of posting I saw last year elsewhere. Sometimes its worth noting when someone anonymous (or known) posts, and what they are posting, or who they are attacking. When did they appear, what was the context, when do they leave, when do they reappear.

In the case of OldManWinter, it looks like an earlier post or two backfired on him. Regarding totallyawesome's first post, it blew itself off the face of the earth in it's few short paragraphs. They rambled about supposed false clues on the internet, then praised a "brave" (hiding") soul who's anonymous redwood promo has some false information that can't be reconciled.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-11-2016 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM

56 posts, read 88,738 times
Quote:
Diseases can be eradicated.
And the stifling smog of secrecy can be (and has been!) blown away by the warm winds of the internet, as it carries the dulcet tones of the whistle blower's whistle around the world to nature enthusiasts everywhere.

Superlative Sequoia sempervirens specimens: They ain't just for hippies anymore!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 PM

56 posts, read 88,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
They rambled about supposed false clues on the internet,
If multiple people who have found Hyperion go on to hint that it might be found on Lost Man Creek, knowing full well that that is complete bs, it's not a supposition. It's intentional spread of misinformation by people looking to mislead the searchers that follow them, and that doesn't compare to being wrong about which tree has the largest crown.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
Gosh, how egotistical of them (youse/yinz/y'all). It's a good thing that so much information has been released that come summer dozens of new tree hunters will descend on the parks and break your monopoly on supposed discoveries.
Here's a quote again, more for other readers to consider how adulterated the wine has become in this guy's mind regarding "tree hunters"

By their definition for "tree hunter", there must have been dozens already last year and the years before. What did they find? For the more part, a big zero, except a few already discovered trees. Those are not "tree hunters" ... those are hobbyists. Punctuated further by the "summer" comment. Made me think back to finding a world's tallest pine with Taylor a few years ago in the snow.

Tree hunters don't need coordinates ... they push the envelope and find new original stuff. Hobbyists rely on coordinates, mobile devices and hand-me-downs.

Will there be dozens of "tree hunters" next summer? Of course not. There will be a couple genuine ones (Moore, Montague, etc.) as we usually see show up on the scene. But the "tree hunter" skills of your dozens can be summed-up in one photo from the redwood forest.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-11-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
If multiple people who have found Hyperion go on to hint that it might be found on Lost Man Creek, knowing full well that that is complete bs, it's not a supposition. It's intentional spread of misinformation by people looking to mislead the searchers that follow them, and that doesn't compare to being wrong about which tree has the largest crown.
You repeated your mistake because you missed the point again. You don't know what the defect is, they (if not you) don't know what the defects are, and I am not elaborating. This is the same rut you were in last time you talked this way.

There you go rambling about some crown thing that has little to do with what I'm talking about. The fact you repeated the mistake on here lends suspicion you are related. but it at least proves both you or FRs is in the dark with no channels to seek correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California