Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 AM

123 posts, read 174,582 times

Advertisements

Mark, why would I want to publicly post my private information on a thread like this when you have a primary contributor trying to hunt down and punish a person because, at least in my eyes, that person had shared some valuable information? It makes absolutely no sense.

What I said stands. Mario spun a little game, and when his game was quashed he went after a person deliberately in an attempt to hunt them down and curtail their private activities, not to mention cause them harm legally and monetarily - all under the guise of conservationist activism.

Sorry, I can't buy into such shenanigans nor would I want to expose my private information in such an environment.

Last edited by Montclairion; 04-08-2016 at 04:14 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 01:13 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,042,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclairion View Post

And you think that people don't see through this?
I think the rise or fall of activity at ENTS is easier to see through for some.

Last edited by mdvaden; 04-09-2016 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 PM

225 posts, read 471,083 times
Hyperion is no longer the world's tallest as of 2014. FR basically shot himself and others in the foot by leaking information. FR will never get to know the new world's tallest or largest. Also, only those of us over at ENTS are in-the-know. Read the Year/Era of Discovery page Mario has up.

Coast Redwood Discovery. Sequoia sempervirens.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Instead of giving the person a pat on the back for a job well done, you start screaming foul. You go on this crybaby tirade about preservationism and soil compaction. And then to top it off, you try to incite your flock to go on a witch hunt to track down the evil perpetrator - you even present the ludicrous idea of putting out a reward, all the time being echoed by your ancient man-without-a-brain alt. You post pictures of some said turquoise vehicle, you do the CSI thing on the person's camera type and habits.
The several hundred who used to visit with a surgical-like precision probably deserved a pat on the back. They chose the option that required more self control and effort. Spilling the beans is easy. So is breaking stuff.

The fact the vehicle thing keeps bugging you stands out. I never really gave the vehicle more than a 50/50 chance. But the way you chase that point like a cat after a laser pointer is unique. As far as a "game" ... there never was one (before) ... only facts. In fact, much of what I wrote previously was already on the internet. Or real places with real people. It was merely condensed into one location. You should have offered a pat on the back for that.

But is there a game now? Probably. A game where the playing pieces are blindfolds. In fact, give it a go. Give a park name to correlate to each one of these.

1. Apollo 34
2. Ball-buster
3. Ravine Leaner
4. Bambi
5. Kryptonite
6. Matchstick Alley
7. Holy Moses
8. Rameses
9. East Fork
10. Golden Heiffer

Last edited by mdvaden; 04-11-2016 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You post pictures of some said turquoise vehicle, you do the CSI thing on the person's camera type and habits.
To others entertaining themselves here ...

Actually, the vehicle thing wasn't something I dug up. Nor was turquoise my favorite color. Actually, if the vehicle has relevance (50/50), it could even be another color, altered by camera sensor, forest foliage or processing. For example, here is a silver Jeep Rubicon, The turquoise is the same one tweaked by adjustment.

Or, it could be another Jeep or SUV with similar color, other color, or even modifications to it.

I'm surprised monteclairion is getting so serious about this and not simply joining in for the challenge.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-rubincon.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 04-12-2016 at 12:19 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

A message late last night brought to mind Toyota Land Cruisers and various other conversions.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-toyota_cruisers.jpg  

Old 04-12-2016, 10:34 AM

The message someone sent last night went into a certain amount of detail. And some image stuff forwarded got me thinking about vehicle tops too.

Here's an image someone first shared with me, blown up to pixel detail. Between the arrows are small white or light colored spots peeking through the foliage of the forest. It could be any top color whitened by the sun. But it could be an accessory top or white top on a vehicle. That the light pixels are all on a single line connotes a top.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-suvtop.jpg   Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-suvtoptiny.jpg  

Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 PM

123 posts, read 174,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
But is there a game now?
Mario, no, I'm not about to start playing your games and the vehicle issue is at best irrelevant.

Switching subjects is easy. Lets not get off the message of my previous posts which was basically...

I think you went over the line in the desire to protect your sacred trees - but you have to realize that they're not your trees.

I realize your passion for the environment and can see you're directed a lot of this energy into the understanding and betterment of the environment yet I think this same passion has driven you to the edge of vigilantism, or at the very least - mild irrationality. Yet, though when I come to think about it, possibly appropriate when relating to the amusement factor on internet forums.

The trees will be fine unless further improvement and development and marketing by the parks occurs.

I'll be taking a small group up this summer to hike in to some of the famous ones, and I'll make sure everyone watches where they step. And I'll pay extra attention when we climb across log piles. Friggin' log piles.

Last edited by Montclairion; 04-12-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Switching subjects is easy. Lets not get off the message of my previous posts which was basically...

I think you went over the line in the desire to protect your sacred trees - but you have to realize that they're not your trees.
Yes, switching subjects is easy. Weeks ago, we were focused on the most obvious and real aspect that's undeniable, that leaks trigger destruction of native plant habitat. Presently, you are switching to pointing fingers about your personal anonymous opinion.

We never went over any line, because we maintained legal activity. Legal use of the internet, legal emailing, legal fundraising, legal public awareness effort. Plus, we don't operate in secret or anonymous either.

Its actually people who chose to leak information that would have caused themselves any problems. Since nobody I know has instigated any legal problems for leakers, then any risk of legal problems for the leakers resides with themselves. They chose to do something they must have known could invite headaches. In doing so, they left themselves in a position of having to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives. They should have thought about the tree matter more and learned from it.

In years past, mainly responsible people (good) visited undisclosed redwoods. Then leaks meant that the "good" people or the "bad" people could access. So in the leakers' case, when the day comes that they are exposed, there will be "good" people and "bad" people. At least from their point of view. And just as they didn't prevent the "bad" from being a nuisance to the trees, they won't be able to prevent a nuisance following them.

Nothing is really "air tight" ... Even after an effort to "sterilize" activity, there is no sterilization. They were spotted, they were recorded on camera. There were bread crumbs left behind. The question is how much time passes between knowing who they are and various people being able to document who they are.

Either way, all our activity was legal and moral and above-board.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
FR will never get to know the new world's tallest or largest. Also, only those of us over at ENTS are in-the-know. Read the Year/Era of Discovery page Mario has up.

Coast Redwood Discovery. Sequoia sempervirens.
OldManWinter ...

There's actually more truth than many people realize, including a couple like monteclairion who speculate from a limited perspective.

I think a few who participate at ENTS would be surprised if they realized how many people want to document the identify of leakers. Someone like Monteclairion may squabble, thinking there's just one or two, from the small internet presence they can see or follow.

Over the past few months, I knew there were several people trying to dig up facts, access and document leakers. But I had no idea just how many people and organizations were active.

Regarding the tallest or largest, its basically true that FRs, GOT, even plenty at ENTS, no longer know what the largest or tallest redwoods are. That vaporized the past two years when new discoveries and changes went unpublished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California