Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 07:09 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

[quote=citizensadvocate;62686393]

Its interesting they used to do drive thru testing but not anymore.[/quote ]

I did a drive-through test this morning. Maybe it's just your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 07:12 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's all theatre and virtue signaling. You must wear a mask at the door but take it off at your table six feet away. The part most perplexing is that people back this "logic" or lack of. Wear your mask until you get on the plane and the snack cart comes out, then take it off. I mean, this is like memes making themselves.
Come on, Angry. People need to remove their masks to eat, after which time masks are supposed to be put back on. What's the choice here, airlines forbidding food and drinks to be served in-flight? Restaurants having to close again?

Old 01-24-2022, 07:25 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I am not aware there is a laboratory test you can perform to say "ahhh ha - this is omicron - or see here, this is clearly Delta" if somebody could post a link to such a method, I promise to read it.
The patient can't perform the test. If a PCR or antigen test is taken, the results would be sent to a lab at a local health department for genome sequencing, and the process apparently takes up to several weeks.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
I'd support gyms putting time limits on workouts (except special, less-frequented areas where only trainers and their clients operate). I see more masks worn properly but also more crowds, and I recognize the absurdity of the situation.

As for planes, it would make sense to serve meals to different sections of passengers at large intervals and close off other areas while that's happening. Of course it would make more sense to make it very difficult for people to fly in the first place.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I am not sure if this has been posted before.
Attached Thumbnails
Bring the restrictions back or let it rip?-74be9ca7-8881-4ddf-beb6-570588e65dfb.jpeg  

Old 01-24-2022, 08:02 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Come on, Angry. People need to remove their masks to eat, after which time masks are supposed to be put back on. What's the choice here, airlines forbidding food and drinks to be served in-flight? Restaurants having to close again?
It's either safe to do it or not. This volleyball approach is ridiculous. Off, on, off, on. What's the use? Shut it down completely or open it up. This is comical.

Take off the condom, put it back on seems to be the theme here.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Los Angeles announced that its cases are now 99% Omicron (which very likely is based on sampling and not testing the vast majority of cases).

First, you're guessing again. So there's that.
Secondly, it sounds like you're saying science is somehow changing tack when it comes to compiling these figures. But surveying and sampling data is the norm in anything. Lastly, what does it matter which variant is the dominant one at this point? A positive case is a positive case. From where I'm sitting, a positive case means a staff member or student is missing work or school for two weeks. Doesn't matter which Greek alphabet character it carries, the impact is the same.

For the vaccinated, this is all just a big inconvenience and nuisance anymore.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's either safe to do it or not. This volleyball approach is ridiculous. Off, on, off, on. What's the use? Shut it down completely or open it up. This is comical.

Take off the condom, put it back on seems to be the theme here.
Life isn't black-and-white. While I think rules should be stricter, some sloppiness is better than the virus given free rein to do as much as possible. Even on a plane, there is leeway for individuals to eat quickly and mask back up quickly. Not everyone there will catch COVID if a fellow flyer is infected.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
First, you're guessing again. So there's that.
Secondly, it sounds like you're saying science is somehow changing tack when it comes to compiling these figures. But surveying and sampling data is the norm in anything. Lastly, what does it matter which variant is the dominant one at this point? A positive case is a positive case. From where I'm sitting, a positive case means a staff member or student is missing work or school for two weeks. Doesn't matter which Greek alphabet character it carries, the impact is the same.

For the vaccinated, this is all just a big inconvenience and nuisance anymore.
Those are significantly different variants, with at least moderately different health risks. Maybe six months ago, it hardly mattered if many individual cases ever were confirmed to the variant level. Authorities should learn from that and look more closely by default, now that we know how suddenly mutations can spread.

Furthermore - as is continually ignored - the flip side of 90% of hospitalizations being unvaccinated is 10% (of an impactful bunch) has been jabbed and vaccines don't lower risk enough for those people.

And we still don't know about long-term consequences of mild-to-moderate Omicron infections but can expect they won't be rare.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:52 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Life isn't black-and-white. While I think rules should be stricter, some sloppiness is better than the virus given free rein to do as much as possible. Even on a plane, there is leeway for individuals to eat quickly and mask back up quickly. Not everyone there will catch COVID if a fellow flyer is infected.
The Gavin mask up in between bites theory? Wow. You drinkin that kookaid? It's either safe to travel or not. This is binary. No amount of "masking" minus plastic bags over the face is keeping people's breath from moving. Is there a mask temple people go to worship and pray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California