Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How should California handle this latest surge of Covid?
Bring back the restrictions of 2020 23 20.18%
Let it rip! 91 79.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 02:50 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting how San Diego city and county is comparably coorporative with the state and often goes above and beyond in terms of mask mandates. If compared with other SoCal Counties. Especially Orange County. I do know that San Diego is among the more progressive cities in the state though.

Last year I remember the Sheriff deputies wearing masks solo in their squad explorer SUVs. And that unlike all the surrounding counties in SoCal SD County and its Sheriff Department, pledged to enforce the regulations. Whereas the other counties pledged not to enforce them. I remember even progressive LA county's sheriff thought enough is enough when November of 2020 rolled around.

Its interesting whether interstate vehicles are required to carry masks when crossing state borders due to the federal mandate. Since feds usually only step in when cross states are crossed.
SD County Sheriff was used at first to block out the parking lots and they did have masks on. Our County board of Supervisors said no more over a year ago. All that changed when Newsom intentionally went after San Diego. I'm out East all the time and no Sheriff is wearing one driving around in any are of El Cajon, Lakeside, or Santee. Their Mayors were very outspoken about these overreach mandates. Especially since San Diego was mask-less for over a year.

Gore even stated in the start of 2021 it's not enforceable and he won't have his guys/gals doing the Governor's dirty work any more. The first batch of tickets they wrote were quickly tossed once it became political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 03:16 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
From my observations, LA is especially mask-doctrinaire. This is organic, done volitionally by the populace, rather than being imposed by heavyhanded enforcement. The people naturally comply, and worse, volunteer an extra zeal. Yes, there was a demonstrative statement by the LA County Sheriff that his department won't enforce the mandate. While I appreciate that, the real issue isn't what the police enforce, but what the populace embraces.

So long as we have a mask-culture, we'll have de facto mask mandates, regardless of whether the enforcement-organs are scrupulous or lax. We have to change the culture, the very ethos of how the masses behave and what they value. How to do that?

Old 01-21-2022, 03:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Absolutely not. Let the population be cautious. I wish LA's mask-wearing were more about health and less about showing off basic decency (and being reckless in private).

That said, nobody does it in cars to show off. Furthermore, I bet that some of the mask-wearing in vehicles is dictated by owner (say, to a college student who is borrowing wheels from mom) or employer.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:48 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
SD County Sheriff was used at first to block out the parking lots and they did have masks on. Our County board of Supervisors said no more over a year ago. All that changed when Newsom intentionally went after San Diego. I'm out East all the time and no Sheriff is wearing one driving around in any are of El Cajon, Lakeside, or Santee. Their Mayors were very outspoken about these overreach mandates. Especially since San Diego was mask-less for over a year.

Gore even stated in the start of 2021 it's not enforceable and he won't have his guys/gals doing the Governor's dirty work any more. The first batch of tickets they wrote were quickly tossed once it became political.
Its interesting how an election can change things. Such as the election of 2020. I guess theres hope anyways. When there is still power from the other side to keep one side in check. Unlike California as a whole or many other counties. Democrats despirately trying to get Trump out of office in 2020 via the November of 2020 election seem to got some of their own out of power locally as an unintended side effect. This seem to have somewhat reversed effects of the blue tsunami of 2018 in SD county. I don't know about OC though. Obviously more went to support the other side after seeing how authoritarian Democrat politicians are especially experiencing them first hand abusing unprecedented emergency powers justified by COVID19 since March of 2020.
Though on November of 2020 when the state tightly locked down again with curfew the old politicans were still in office. Thats why.

Though SD City proper I believe still leans rather progressive. They still stand for the right of squatters and seals. The cities are another story all together I just heard Encinatas banned helium balloons. The city had been known for progressive policies for years.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:16 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Wearing a mask inside a vehicle is the ultimate internal bumper sticker. Got all the info I need on that person...
What do those people believe they are doing?

It always perplexes me.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I’ve seen people driving alone with masks too.
I also see them by themselves all masked up when I’m hiking in the boonies.
I just shake my head.

Today I went into a 7-11 and picked up a few things.
As I’m being checked out I realized I didn’t have a mask on.
The dude behind me realized and stepped back.
I really didn’t care and it felt good.
I’m gonna do more of that.
What are they going to do…ask me to leave?

Old 01-22-2022, 10:18 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
IDK about that. North County didn't GAF back in 2020. I spent a quality amount of time in Carlsbad...it wasn't that strict. I spent time in LA county a few months prior to that and it was way different.
Mind if I ask what is GAF,

I remember Carlsbad was the strictest in North County back in 2020 along with Encinitas(don’t know if that’s north county). They had the longest lockdown of outdoor public spaces of the entire county almost to June for that matter. If that’s ever justified. And had written over a hundred tickets for COVID19 violations. In comparison cities surrounding north of Carlsbad in North county along the 78 corridor almost never ticketed anyone for Covid-19 orders related violations the only one I know of was an independent fitness center. I don’t know how much the balance of power changed in Carlsbad since last election but I heard Carlsbad is now cracking down on dogs on city controlled property aside from
Sidewalks using a almost forgotten ordinance made in the 1990s which I heard was originally made as Carlsbad was the only city in SD county without restriction on dogs on beaches. I assume unlike other cities like Oceanside the city’s ordinance could not treat beaches separate from city maintained trails, open space, plazas, and parks. That’s why when they ban dogs on beaches they have to ban them from all these other places too. People were caught off guard as they think no dogs only applied on beaches and never recall seeing any signs that dogs are prohibited at all areas I mentioned above. Technically even getting a dog to a dog park is a violation. Crazy right.

I do hope the new council isn’t as dracon. But it appears they are unlikely to overturn the universal dog ban that was awakened from the grave just recently and had caught people by surprised and started a Nextdoor war in north county.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:20 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,162,490 times
This statistic

California death rate 1,993 per million
Florida death rate 2,960 per million

tells me that our Gov. Newsom had the right approach, while Florida's Gov DeSantis did not.

That doesn't mean Calif should go back into full shutdown mode for Omicron, and we're not.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:03 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This statistic

California death rate 1,993 per million
Florida death rate 2,960 per million

tells me that our Gov. Newsom had the right approach, while Florida's Gov DeSantis did not.

That doesn't mean Calif should go back into full shutdown mode for Omicron, and we're not.
Plenty of people on this forum would rather have a much higher death rate in our state if it meant they didn't have to have any minor conveniences with restrictions. Tells me a lot more about the moral character (or lack thereof) of these people as opposed to our governor. I'm not advocating any of the hypocritical things Newsom has done, but anyone with common sense would know the measures are better for our own public safety. Only those who are looking for a political angle will seize upon his hypocrises to justify their own stupidity and selfishness.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:45 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
US Covid-19 Deaths by state
California: 77,225
Florida: 63,569
https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...19-spread-map/

If Herr Newsom and his 80 person "expert" panel (remember that when that all started??) were so frickin' smart to save us all, then CA's overall numbers should be lower!

Cook the numbers all you want - the bottom line is NOTHING human beings have done has changed the trajectory of what Covid has done.

Look instead to the overall bigger picture to assess the impact of draconian measures by lockdowns: economic destruction of businesses, educational and psychological devastation to children, and turning neighbor against neighbor into mask and vax-nazis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California