Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
This is what a 3 month long lockdown would look like in the U.S. due to our current political climate:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...kdown-all.html
A 3-month lockdown isn’t required.

And neither is your smugly stupid, sophomoric, non-sequiturial attempt at conflation to BLM.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:29 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Too late, 10s of thousands already have and a few million at least will get it before its offered to my cohort. By then, yes me and my family will get it.

Subjective term. Absent any evidence to the contrary, yes I do. Politicians talking about the virus doesn't affect development. Politicians throwing money at the companies development isn't devoid of motivation, the motive is to end the **** pandemic so we can get back to normal lives even with the dysfunctional people all around us dragging us down.

Didn't polio end because of a vaccine? Of all the examples, this one didn't prove your point.
Supposedly Trumps Oct surprise will be a vaccine ready to be administered. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Supposedly Trumps Oct surprise will be a vaccine ready to be administered. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Do you actually think Trump's QAnon followers are going to line up to get vaccinated?

Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Heh. I agree, generally. But you asked: “there must be a better way.” I just revealed it. The breakdown is: human nature combined with American ideology and belief in entitlement.

But I will also point out that some other countries pulled it off ... and some such as China only shut down certain locales where the virus popped up. With quality leadership and a cooperative population these things can be effected without total lockdown. But large percentages of Americans are like a bunch of spoiled brat kids ... lazy intellectually ... convinced of extraordinary entitlement. And as for quality leadership? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha ....
This is true. Make some of these people wear a full chemical protection suit with gas mask for a few hours in the summer and they’ll be begging to wear a mask.

Maybe it would have helped if Trump hadn’t just thrown up his hands and abandoned the whole mess in April.

As for the better way, you take temperatures, enforce mask wearing, don’t put up with the pouting children, take extra precautions with those at higher risk, reduce some capacity and do contact tracing. There’s no need to shut everything down.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:37 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
....would you want to be first in line to receive it?

The only real frame of reference anyone alive in the U.S. today has for this sort of thing is polio. The outbreaks of it in the late 40s and early 50s didn't cause the nation to nosedive into the divisive state we're in over covid. And it took about a decade to develop and fine tune that vaccine, and then several years of administering it to get case numbers down to something acceptable.
We need to remember what happened to the children who received the polio vaccine distributed by Cutter Labs in 1955. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be first in line to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/

Old 09-16-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Too late, 10s of thousands already have and a few million at least will get it before its offered to my cohort. By then, yes me and my family will get it.
Unfortunately, you'll probably be in the minority.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-win-over-rest

Quote:
Politicians talking about the virus doesn't affect development. Politicians throwing money at the companies development isn't devoid of motivation, the motive is to end the **** pandemic so we can get back to normal lives even with the dysfunctional people all around us dragging us down.
The "dysfunctional people dragging us down"? You mean scientists?

Because of the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, vaccine regulators might fast-track some of these steps. But it's unlikely that a COVID-19 vaccine will become available sooner than six months after clinical trials start. Realistically, a vaccine will take 12 to 18 months or longer to develop and test in human clinical trials. And we don't know yet whether an effective vaccine is possible for this virus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20484859

Will we have a COVID-19 vaccine this year? Here’s what the prediction markets say:
https://fortune.com/2020/07/15/coron...s-coronavirus/

Why A Vaccine Won’t Be a Quick Fix for COVID-19:
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...x-for-covid-19

Quote:
Didn't polio end because of a vaccine?
Scroll back.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This is true. Make some of these people wear a full chemical protection suit with gas mask for a few hours in the summer and they’ll be begging to wear a mask.

Maybe it would have helped if Trump hadn’t just thrown up his hands and abandoned the whole mess in April.

As for the better way, you take temperatures, enforce mask wearing, don’t put up with the pouting children, take extra precautions with those at higher risk, reduce some capacity and do contact tracing. There’s no need to shut everything down.
The Trumpster threw up his hands and lied back in February when there were only a handful of cases appearing in the entire country. THAT was the start of his missed opportunity to serve the nation in this crisis.

And yes, I agree those other measures could also work ... though I find them even more difficult to organize and execute than across the board “one size fits all” lockdown of any areas where cases pop up. WuHan was locked down ... not all of China. NYC could have been too.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
California has some of the tightest restrictions in the country, yet we were up there with two states that were much more open. Those restrictions didn’t seem to help very much.
They didn't? Now California now has the lowest positive test rate since the state began reporting the data in late March.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rate-on-record

Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We need to remember what happened to the children who received the polio vaccine distributed by Cutter Labs in 1955. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be first in line to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

In April 1955 more than 200 000 children in five Western and mid-Western USA states received a polio vaccine in which the process of inactivating the live virus proved to be defective. Within days there were reports of paralysis and within a month the first mass vaccination programme against polio had to be abandoned. Subsequent investigations revealed that the vaccine, manufactured by the California-based family firm of Cutter Laboratories, had caused 40 000 cases of polio, leaving 200 children with varying degrees of paralysis and killing 10.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/
I was an elementary school student during the polio years. I knew kids who were stricken. We lived in fear of “iron lung” outcomes.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:46 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Didn't polio end because of a vaccine?

Not immediately. Not over a few months either. It took years. In the interim, we can't just sit around locked into an endless cycle of repeated half-baked reopenings and shut downs. Do you agree that we need to have a contingency plan here if this continues to drag on for years? I don't see us emerging from this completely any time in the near future, successful vaccine or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California