Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The problem with vaccine cards or barcodes on phones, is that they will be easy to duplicate & a black market will emerge in forgery.

I plan on getting a vaccine whenever it is available for my age group

There's already indicators that predict fraud with respect to the allocation schedule. Just wait until the important people start jumping the line. The problem won't be proof of being vaccinated.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There is no "offering at cost masks". If the government truly cared about its people and wanted them safe, they'd distribute these N95-like masks FOR FREE like they did the last stimulus bill, ensuring the vast majority get one to guarantee as much as they can the "safety" of everyone. Otherwise, people will just pick up an old bandana and use it as a face covering because CNN/MSNBC/Fox/local news said it was okay to use that.

It's not just the media, it's the state itself saying a thin piece of cloth is good enough to suit the mandate. So it either is, or isn't. If people really need the best protection out there, an N95 isn't it. A half face respirator can be had for $30 on Amazon. Even at retail price, $30 for 360M U.S. citizens is chump change for the government.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
On New Year's Eve, the major counties in California should block off roads and deploy extra police (to stop speeders, drunks, and so on) to deter people from driving to parties. Anything less means the politicians aren't serious about slowing the spread.

Once again, math trumps this plan. Think of the manpower that would require. We have something like 100k sworn LE in the state, iirc. Also, here's me beating your checkpoint.

LE: Where are you headed?
Me: None of your business. thank you very much.
LE: Ok, carry on

It won't work so any politician wasting their time on ideas like this should be sacked. And they know that.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Once again, math trumps this plan. Think of the manpower that would require. We have something like 100k sworn LE in the state, iirc. Also, here's me beating your checkpoint.

It won't work so any politician wasting their time on ideas like this should be sacked. And they know that.
No.

Blocking off enough roads keeps people inside (assuming they know what it's like out there).

Curfew further keeps people off the roads.

Then it isn't an overwhelming number of drivers for police to stop and talk to.

It doesn't have prevent everyone from destination mingle, which would be impossible due to manpower vs. sheer number of roads in most areas. It only has to be make an obvious difference.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
I think new, adequate face masks for people with limited means works best as a free mask exchange program. Anyone who turns in a mask (can be near-useless like a bandana) gets a good one in its place. Probably at a drive-up drop-off center.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post

Yup. And even if it’s after curfew and they demand to know where you’re going, the answer is either going to the pharmacy, grocery store or getting something to eat. That’s allowed and they’re done.

Wouldn’t work.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yup. And even if it’s after curfew and they demand to know where you’re going, the answer is either going to the pharmacy, grocery store or getting something to eat. That’s allowed and they’re done.

Wouldn’t work.

Or that you're homeless since the state isn't even bothering to factor them into the equation anymore. Honestly though, the simple answer is no answer since there's nothing that compels you to tell LE what you're doing. If they arrest you, it's on them to come up with a suitable charge that will stick. And just like everything else, I seriously doubt a DA or city attorney is going to touch a case of "being out in public". If they do, they'd lose and most likely get whoever they work for sued in the process.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
N
Curfew further keeps people off the roads.

Voluntarily, maybe. But if that's true, there's no need for checkpoint Charlie scenarios throughout the state. There is a matter of optics too, you know. Newsom, terrible as he's become, probably doesn't want to own that sort of thing since he's a career politician with aspirations for higher and higher office.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Look, I don’t agree with everything the Democrats have said regarding Israel but I also think Netanyahu has gone too far regarding settlements.

Believe it or not, I’m a former Republican. What turned me off was the religious right being thrown in my face. It started getting really bad about 10 years ago and I truly think a lot of the anti Obama sentiment was racist (e.g., birther movement). Trump has carried it on and made fascism accepted in society. That rhetoric is what I consider Hitler-like, not the COVID restrictions. I don’t love everything the Democrats do, such as wanting to give $2k to people who are still gainfully employed. But, if you have to ask, yes I view this as the lesser of two evils (by a mile). And yes, I think Newsom’s restrictions (while imperfect) are a much better action vs Trump’s complete neglect and misinformation spread.

I am a dark skinned agnostic agnostic Hindu and I have major issues with the far left identity politics. As a libertarian, I believe in separation of church and state, free market, and more rights for law abiding hard working citizens trying to run businesses than for criminals, and COMMON SENSE. Covid is real but I think hard working small business owners and the working class will suffer far more from the business closures than Covid itself. Let them operate with some restrictions. Isolation can be very hard on many people: allow people to gather "legally" in small groups: maybe 2 households or 6 people max. The new leftists are using Covid and BLM as their religion.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:15 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I am a dark skinned agnostic agnostic Hindu and I have major issues with the far left identity politics. As a libertarian, I believe in separation of church and state, free market, and more rights for law abiding hard working citizens trying to run businesses than for criminals, and COMMON SENSE. Covid is real but I think hard working small business owners and the working class will suffer far more from the business closures than Covid itself. Let them operate with some restrictions. Isolation can be very hard on many people: allow people to gather "legally" in small groups: maybe 2 households or 6 people max. The new leftists are using Covid and BLM as their religion.
I agree that there is identity politics going on, but I don't think its confined to the far left. Do you also have an issue with the far right identity politics? People get on my case about being partisan, but fail to acknowledge their own far right partisan bias.

Here's the thing about libertarianism. It sounds good in concept to have small government and self reliance, but fails in reality. With COVID we can't be all left to our own devices (which is sort of what's happening with this patchwork strategy), as you can see its a miserable failure. It needs to be a collective national strategy, led by the government. That's how I feel about healthcare as well.

I think what you're saying about restrictions or lack thereof also sounds good in concept. However, we tried that over the summer in loosening restrictions. Unfortunately, a lot of people would not comply with just having that extended social bubble (as you're referring to above) or keeping safe with businesses. It is harsh right now, but I don't see any other measure to really help turn the tide of this crisis right now. We dug the hole we're in and now we need to live with the consequences. Perhaps you and I both did the responsible thing over the summer, but plenty of folks did not. Sorry, but if you act like a 5 year old, you're going to be treated like one (referring to people in general, not you in particular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California