Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Failing to do so means some end up sick enough to land themselves in a hospital where it'll cost more anyway. Failing to do so also means there's more potential to infect those who can't or won't get vaccinated prolonging community outbreaks.

This needs to be a global effort.
I agree with this and personally think vaccines should be mandatory.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:59 PM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
An allocation plan based on highest necessity makes sense when supplies are limited. The state's latest outline seems to be missing the "equity" language from earlier proposals.
Really? Look at this from within your link:
Quote:
Recommendation B3: Subprioritization by attributes of individual health care workers

If there are not enough doses to reach all workers at risk in a facility, then
  • Health departments may allocate doses for facilities—if information is available—to protect workers at higher risk of occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 before those at lower risk.
  • Local facilities should consider offering doses of vaccine to workers using the following risk factors, in sequence: o Occupational risk of exposure to SARS-CoV-2
    • Descending age, in the following age groups:
(1) 65 years and older
(2) 55-64 years

(3) Younger than 55 years

• Other attributes supported by evidence, including but not limited to underlying medical conditions, race, and ethnicity
    • To support immunization of these workers, facilities should provide extensive information and counseling.
Quote:
Hopefully, availability will outpace the plan and not vice versa. I see the whole thing going out the window once supply ramps up. The shelf life alone is too fragile for the state to sit on batches of this while they pick their noses trying to figure it all out. Nationally, if the world's greatest superpower can't inoculate it's citizens in a timely manner, we may as well just call it quits.
One of the results of this recent bitter election is that the politicization of the disease has far outstripped medical considerations.

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-02-2021 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 05:31 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Isn't this just ducky ... Over half a million Americans traveled to Mexico in November. 50K to Mexico City, specifically. All in an attempt flee the lockdowns here in the U.S. In mid December, Mexico City escalated their alert system to the highest level and required an immediate shutdown of all businesses. Unfortunately, it came weeks after their numbers reached the critical stage, thus leaving many people vulnerable for infection. So now we have infected Americans coming back from Mexico with infections that will continue to spread throughout the country?

A lot of good a mask does here when you can't even keep people from bringing the virus back with them from their Mexican vacation. Ridiculous

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fleeing-l...170921492.html

Old 01-02-2021, 06:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I've seen a disappearance and reappearance of my comment above (for now). What I meant is that the Los Angeles media - maybe the entire national media - is not going to risk offending many viewers by saying that there's extra resistance to face masks and social distancing in the Latino community. Although I don't think the community itself would dispute that or thinks it's wrong to not comply much. Cultures don't change easily. The government ultimately will have to address that, maybe via popular Mexican-American celebrities, giveaways of surgical masks, or other tactics, to get the pandemic under control this year, barring more success with vaccines than I anticipate. To have that situation, along with people traveling out of state, social media personality partiers, many anti-vaxxers, defiant churches, and so on - swimming upstream. LA County is already doing mobile testing, in seemingly Latino low-income areas, that I had called for, but obviously it's better to not have people become infected in the first place. Some other counties will begin mobile programs next week, I just read, and Marin County began it sometime after LA did.
Around here it doesn't seem that hispanics wear masks less than other people The Russian and Ukraine immigrants really seem to resist wearing masks. They were having mega church meetings in March and April one of the pastors of their Slavic Evangelical churches died and an unknown number tested positive (after 74 were positive they either quit testing or refused to give their names) After the health department cracked down on the church services they started having services in warehouses and parishioners homes.

But it's not just them - an Evangelical Church in Placer County had a 500 person maskless wedding for the pastors daughter on New Years Eve and I don't think many immigrants or hispanics go to that church

(Video at bottom right)
https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...s-eve-wedding/

Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Around here it doesn't seem that hispanics wear masks less than other people The Russian and Ukraine immigrants really seem to resist wearing masks. They were having mega church meetings in March and April one of the pastors of their Slavic Evangelical churches died and an unknown number tested positive (after 74 were positive they either quit testing or refused to give their names) After the health department cracked down on the church services they started having services in warehouses and parishioners homes.

But it's not just them - an Evangelical Church in Placer County had a 500 person maskless wedding for the pastors daughter on New Years Eve and I don't think many immigrants or hispanics go to that church

(Video at bottom right)
https://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.c...s-eve-wedding/
It’s not just the churches. There was an New Years party at a warehouse that had a stage collapse and injure a few people. They said there were a couple of hundred people there. I can’t find the article now, but someone said when all the clubs closed, the partying and entertainment went underground.

Evidently there are a number of these going on all the time, at least by me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2484668/%3famp

Old 01-02-2021, 10:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
I've seen a disappearance and reappearance of my comment above (for now). What I meant is that the Los Angeles media - maybe the entire national media - is not going to risk offending many viewers by saying that there's extra resistance to face masks and social distancing in the Latino community
I was enjoying my local Regional Mexican FM station this evening while out to pick up my dinner, and I heard something quite unusual and different in the ad block:

3 out of 5 ads were brought to us by the CDC encouraging the following of all covid mandates/etc. Each ad was unique, but generally had the same message. So obviously the CDC is aware of this, and is at least putting out some effort to get the word out among the Latino community.

I've been more places than I care to remember since covid began, and while I just was in Southern CA for a week about a month ago, I did not feel that there was an abundance of Covid-ignorance or belief-resistance among the populace as a whole, among anybody. I could probably count on three fingers the amount of people I saw over the course of a week (in public) not wearing a mask/wearing one improperly. I see FAR MORE covid non-compliance in rural areas, and if I'm just being honest, most often in conservative areas (good/bad/indifferent)..... but IME like Philadelphia and Annapolis, MD didn't think covid existed either so.....

Old 01-03-2021, 02:20 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I was enjoying my local Regional Mexican FM station this evening while out to pick up my dinner, and I heard something quite unusual and different in the ad block:

3 out of 5 ads were brought to us by the CDC encouraging the following of all covid mandates/etc. Each ad was unique, but generally had the same message. So obviously the CDC is aware of this, and is at least putting out some effort to get the word out among the Latino community.

I've been more places than I care to remember since covid began, and while I just was in Southern CA for a week about a month ago, I did not feel that there was an abundance of Covid-ignorance or belief-resistance among the populace as a whole, among anybody. I could probably count on three fingers the amount of people I saw over the course of a week (in public) not wearing a mask/wearing one improperly. I see FAR MORE covid non-compliance in rural areas, and if I'm just being honest, most often in conservative areas (good/bad/indifferent)..... but IME like Philadelphia and Annapolis, MD didn't think covid existed either so.....
Before I get into it, this
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7526957/

People aren't collectively pointing the finger at Latin-American residents randomly or due to bigotry (I hope), and the CDC certainly is concerned, based on those ads.

I did not state my point well until this post. Unlike that study area (too tired to confirm by looking it up), mask wearing in public indoor spaces is basically mandatory and established practice in Los Angeles. I only see, on the news, crazy white people barging into stores unmasked. I think Latino residents nominally comply with that.

However, I think that's where the compliance ends. For example, I see them in a Latino-managed store I frequent, often with masks worn improperly, sometimes below the chin. (I see white people do that in some stores, but never more than 1 or 2 at the same time.) I have seen the store employees do that on many days. Also, I don't think I have ever seen an employee there or Latin-Americans anywhere wear something that looks more robust than a surgical mask and it's usually less than that.

Also, I do some culture tourism as a viewer of an entertainment-focused YouTube channel based in or near LA that is very Mexican-flavored (but almost entirely in English). I'm not saying it's very representative of the people in the real world, but the people on it (mingling in studio despite health department advice) usually make fun of wearing masks. Some of it is machismo. Maybe some of it is a relaxed (siesta) attitude toward life that doesn't fit this situation.

I have no faith that many Latino locals cancel their habitual get-togethers or do them outdoors with masks and social distancing. It goes against too much that I've seen and heard. Maybe after some sleep, I'll see if anyone has surveyed that.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Also, I do some culture tourism as a viewer of an entertainment-focused YouTube channel based in or near LA that is very Mexican-flavored (but almost entirely in English). I'm not saying it's very representative of the people in the real world, but the people on it (mingling in studio despite health department advice) usually make fun of wearing masks. Some of it is machismo. Maybe some of it is a relaxed (siesta) attitude toward life that doesn't fit this situation.

I have no faith that many Latino locals cancel their habitual get-togethers or do them outdoors with masks and social distancing. It goes against too much that I've seen and heard. Maybe after some sleep, I'll see if anyone has surveyed that.

Yesterday I walked by a house getting re-roofed by six Latino dudes. They'd torn off two layers in the time I came back. Didn't see one in "siesta" mode. Ever done that work? It's not a cakewalk. I don't think you meant what you said to sound horrible but it did.

If you're looking for a reason community spread is higher among POC (which is predominantly Latinos when we're talking about Southern California), it's because they disproportionately represent the workforce which has remained operating throughout this pandemic. It doesn't take any sort of "cultural tourism" to realize what's going on here. Poorer people are out and about in the world more than the wealthy because they have to be. And it just so happens that Latinos represent poorer people more than others. If you want to blame any of that on culture, blame it on a strong work ethic --not "machismo" or "habitual get-togethers".

Old 01-03-2021, 05:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Well, you're right I didn't mean that to sound horrible, for "siesta" wasn't a reference to the laziness stereotype. You know who Pitbull is? He's very much about working hard, and playing hard. "Siesta" I believe originates from a daytime break and means they like their time off and it's near-sacred to them. Wearing masks and distancing on their free time - no, interferes with their relaxation. Plus, the machismo stereotype definitely is well rooted in reality.

But do the specific, actual beliefs of Latinos even matter? I'm not sure it does in this discussion, but ignoring the research I cited and attributing everything to social class is too politically correct and doesn't motivate any change in behavior. That is much too large a segment of the population to let do as they please during this terrible situation for which most remedies have hardly helped.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Yesterday I walked by a house getting re-roofed by six Latino dudes. They'd torn off two layers in the time I came back. Didn't see one in "siesta" mode. Ever done that work? It's not a cakewalk. I don't think you meant what you said to sound horrible but it did.

If you're looking for a reason community spread is higher among POC (which is predominantly Latinos when we're talking about Southern California), it's because they disproportionately represent the workforce which has remained operating throughout this pandemic. It doesn't take any sort of "cultural tourism" to realize what's going on here. Poorer people are out and about in the world more than the wealthy because they have to be. And it just so happens that Latinos represent poorer people more than others. If you want to blame any of that on culture, blame it on a strong work ethic --not "machismo" or "habitual get-togethers".
I could not agree more. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California