Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 PM

50,256 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Yesterday I walked by a house getting re-roofed by six Latino dudes. They'd torn off two layers in the time I came back. Didn't see one in "siesta" mode. Ever done that work? It's not a cakewalk. I don't think you meant what you said to sound horrible but it did.

If you're looking for a reason community spread is higher among POC (which is predominantly Latinos when we're talking about Southern California), it's because they disproportionately represent the workforce which has remained operating throughout this pandemic. It doesn't take any sort of "cultural tourism" to realize what's going on here. Poorer people are out and about in the world more than the wealthy because they have to be. And it just so happens that Latinos represent poorer people more than others. If you want to blame any of that on culture, blame it on a strong work ethic --not "machismo" or "habitual get-togethers".
Well, the downside to that is they didn't self quarantine while everyone else was forced to. The leaf blowers never stopped. Now, we can blame the people hiring them or we can blame them. Regardless, our South Bay, mostly Latino, is the hot spot for Covid here. Didn't all of the relief packages even include illegals?

Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 PM

4,386 posts, read 1,695,798 times
As a latino myself, I’ll add the following:

1. COVID is ravaging my family and friends. Only 2 deaths so far, but at least 20 members of my family and close friends have been infected, with about 5 spending weeks in ICU. Some of my friends have friends with absolute horror stories of how COVID is killing off their families.

2. My experience so far is that the type of work is what is spreading it the most in our communities. These people work at Walmart, or in factories, or construction, etc. They can’t just shelter in place, etc. They come into contact with many different people on a daily basis.

3. Most of the infections were indeed family gatherings... but only because the families all live together, in very tight quarters. One incident was a baby shower that led to 12 infections of guests, but all the others were just families getting sick at work and bringing it home, infecting everyone else.

4. I am one of 7 kids. None of us have visited my mother since March. Since all my siblings work in jobs that expose them to the public, we all just stay in our own homes.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
As a latino myself, I’ll add the following:

1. COVID is ravaging my family and friends. Only 2 deaths so far, but at least 20 members of my family and close friends have been infected, with about 5 spending weeks in ICU. Some of my friends have friends with absolute horror stories of how COVID is killing off their families.

2. My experience so far is that the type of work is what is spreading it the most in our communities. These people work at Walmart, or in factories, or construction, etc. They can’t just shelter in place, etc. They come into contact with many different people on a daily basis.

3. Most of the infections were indeed family gatherings... but only because the families all live together, in very tight quarters. One incident was a baby shower that led to 12 infections of guests, but all the others were just families getting sick at work and bringing it home, infecting everyone else.

4. I am one of 7 kids. None of us have visited my mother since March. Since all my siblings work in jobs that expose them to the public, we all just stay in our own homes.
I appreciate hearing from you. That's more personal experience with the community than mine and without attacking critics like me. "But" coming, of course. Most could be as you describe, and if there's a subset like I've heard via the cultural tourism, that still could be responsible for avoidable spread, because a small, toxic slice of a large community can be like drops of ink in water. It would be better if the bad apples are addressed proactively rather than Latinos as a whole ravaged into a high level of compliance.

Also, please address what you've seen with mask-wearing. I know there is some correlation between Latinos and wearing bandanas, which don't provide a good amount of protection. If there is one element of behavior that's easy to improve, it's how they wear face masks in businesses.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I appreciate hearing from you. That's more personal experience with the community than mine and without attacking critics like me. "But" coming, of course. Most could be as you describe, and if there's a subset like I've heard via the cultural tourism, that still could be responsible for avoidable spread, because a small, toxic slice of a large community can be like drops of ink in water. It would be better if the bad apples are addressed proactively rather than Latinos as a whole ravaged into a high level of compliance.

Also, please address what you've seen with mask-wearing. I know there is some correlation between Latinos and wearing bandanas, which don't provide a good amount of protection. If there is one element of behavior that's easy to improve, it's how they wear face masks in businesses.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. LOL

As for mask wearing, I can say that my experience is that I encounter far more non-hispanic whites refusing/declining to wear a mask than I do hispanic/latinos. It's usually non-hispanic whites tearing off their masks because "we have rights" and "we don't want to live in fear!" In the last two weeks, I went out to search for my dad. When I was out looking for him, every single person I came across in this town that is 80% Hispanic (as of the 2010 census, likely higher today)was wearing a mask while they were outside and conducting their business. The only people who were not wearing a mask were a group of church people who were standing on the corner with signs and a bullhorn trying to save my soul. When I found my dad an hour later, he was wearing a mask. The only time we took off our masks was to eat (I found him at a taco stand). The only reason why I even went to find him was because the last time I saw him was 6 years ago, and he was homeless. The two people who died of COVID had both died on the same day, and were fathers of my friends. I went looking for him to make sure he was safe.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that while i was searching for my dad at a park, I came across a table of about 6-8 older hispanic males all playing dominos for money. I was quite impressed that every single one of them was wearing a mask. This is not the safest part of town, but these guys with all their money flowing were damned if they were going to let COVID kill them. They might be killed in a robbery in that area, but COVID wasn't going to get them!!! LOL

Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. LOL

As for mask wearing, I can say that my experience is that I encounter far more non-hispanic whites refusing/declining to wear a mask than I do hispanic/latinos. It's usually non-hispanic whites tearing off their masks because "we have rights" and "we don't want to live in fear!" In the last two weeks, I went out to search for my dad. When I was out looking for him, every single person I came across in this town that is 80% Hispanic (as of the 2010 census, likely higher today)was wearing a mask while they were outside and conducting their business. The only people who were not wearing a mask were a group of church people who were standing on the corner with signs and a bullhorn trying to save my soul. When I found my dad an hour later, he was wearing a mask. The only time we took off our masks was to eat (I found him at a taco stand). The only reason why I even went to find him was because the last time I saw him was 6 years ago, and he was homeless. The two people who died of COVID had both died on the same day, and were fathers of my friends. I went looking for him to make sure he was safe.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that while i was searching for my dad at a park, I came across a table of about 6-8 older hispanic males all playing dominos for money. I was quite impressed that every single one of them was wearing a mask. This is not the safest part of town, but these guys with all their money flowing were damned if they were going to let COVID kill them. They might be killed in a robbery in that area, but COVID wasn't going to get them!!! LOL
Okay. I myself referred to the overt, crazed anti-mask behavior as coming from white people. I do see Latino males walking down the street without masks sometimes, even in small groups, but there's no outdoor enforcement of that in this part of Los Angeles nor is the law even clearly defined.

Can you please answer about surgical masks and noses being covered? When the nose isn't covered, a mask basically is worthless except as a spit (or finger-licking) guard or if someone's nose is extremely congested. By the way, are most or all of your tales about LA County?

Old 01-04-2021, 12:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
California's COVID-19 vaccinations lag behind every other large state, national average

"California is using a smaller percentage of its available COVID-19 vaccine doses than every other large state in the country.

According to Monday figures from Bloomberg's state-by-state vaccine tracker, California has used just 28.1% of distributed doses, which is up from the 24.3% figure it was at last week, but below the national rate of 33.1%. Last week, the national rate was 19.3%."

"California's struggles may be tied to the fact that it's currently one of the nation's hot spots, as doctors have expressed worry that there aren't enough hospital staff members to both care for COVID-19 patients swamping the state's hospitals and administer vaccines. The state's surge comes despite a strict new stay-at-home order, although some have theorized the state's restrictions — stricter than any other state over the duration of the pandemic — are to blame for the winter surge."

Great job Gavin

Old 01-04-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Okay. I myself referred to the overt, crazed anti-mask behavior as coming from white people. I do see Latino males walking down the street without masks sometimes, even in small groups, but there's no outdoor enforcement of that in this part of Los Angeles nor is the law even clearly defined.

Can you please answer about surgical masks and noses being covered? When the nose isn't covered, a mask basically is worthless except as a spit (or finger-licking) guard or if someone's nose is extremely congested. By the way, are most or all of your tales about LA County?
Most of my family/friends live in LA County. I live in the San Bernardino Mtns.

I have to be honest here, it feels like you are trying to get me to say that hispanics don’t wear masks, or that they wear them wrong. I’ve already stated that my experience is that they largely do (at least at the same rate as others, in my opinion). Are there people walking down the street without masks on, or on improperly? Yeah, of course there are. But I don’t see it happening at any higher rate in Hispanics than in other ethnicities. And I certainly don’t think it happens at a rate large enough to explain why hispanics are being disproportionately affected by COVID (which is how this conversation started). The reasons why Hispanics are disproportionately affected is because of the jobs they have, the density of their living conditions, and the lack of health care, which can lead them to wait until the last minute to get treatment.

As for the nose-hanging, I myself often wear my mask that way when walking, but slide it up when I come across people in the street. The handful of people that I DO see constantly wearing masks with their noses hanging out when others around are actually white. They are my white coworkers. And I always point it out to them and they adjust their masks if I am around. I don’t take that to mean that Whites are more likely to wear masks incorrectly, it’s just a numbers thing. There are only about three hispanics in the three campuses that I work at. Everyone else is white.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
California's COVID-19 vaccinations lag behind every other large state, national average

"California is using a smaller percentage of its available COVID-19 vaccine doses than every other large state in the country.

According to Monday figures from Bloomberg's state-by-state vaccine tracker, California has used just 28.1% of distributed doses, which is up from the 24.3% figure it was at last week, but below the national rate of 33.1%. Last week, the national rate was 19.3%."

"California's struggles may be tied to the fact that it's currently one of the nation's hot spots, as doctors have expressed worry that there aren't enough hospital staff members to both care for COVID-19 patients swamping the state's hospitals and administer vaccines. The state's surge comes despite a strict new stay-at-home order, although some have theorized the state's restrictions — stricter than any other state over the duration of the pandemic — are to blame for the winter surge."

Great job Gavin
I don’t know if that is Gavin’s fault (or that it ISN’T), but it’s a shame, either way. We need to find a way to get those vaccines in arms at a faster rate, somehow.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Most of my family/friends live in LA County. I live in the San Bernardino Mtns.

I have to be honest here, it feels like you are trying to get me to say that hispanics don’t wear masks, or that they wear them wrong. I’ve already stated that my experience is that they largely do (at least at the same rate as others, in my opinion). Are there people walking down the street without masks on, or on improperly? Yeah, of course there are. But I don’t see it happening at any higher rate in Hispanics than in other ethnicities. And I certainly don’t think it happens at a rate large enough to explain why hispanics are being disproportionately affected by COVID (which is how this conversation started). The reasons why Hispanics are disproportionately affected is because of the jobs they have, the density of their living conditions, and the lack of health care, which can lead them to wait until the last minute to get treatment.

As for the nose-hanging, I myself often wear my mask that way when walking, but slide it up when I come across people in the street. The handful of people that I DO see constantly wearing masks with their noses hanging out when others around are actually white. They are my white coworkers. And I always point it out to them and they adjust their masks if I am around. I don’t take that to mean that Whites are more likely to wear masks incorrectly, it’s just a numbers thing. There are only about three hispanics in the three campuses that I work at. Everyone else is white.
Here indoors in retail establishments almost everyone wears mask, except for the place I complained about where sometimes customers take them off. I was just hoping you'd confirm the masks as worn by Latinos often aren't good enough. But this is a different county and in my part whites probably are the majority. I don't carefully count who is more common and who does what more often, though I'm sure I have seen more bandanas are among Latino males and fewer N-95 style masks among that ethnic group.

Also, I'd never say that Latinos are disproportionally affected due to public/business mask use and probably not by private habits, either. Still, I think it's a factor. If Latinos are 10% more likely to become infected or transmit COVID-19 due to behaviors less common in some other major ethnic groups, that is a problem that should be addressed. Southern California is in this crisis due to deaths by a thousand cuts, leading to some literal deaths.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-04-2021 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 03:04 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Great job Gavin

Maybe we should be looking at what South Dakota is doing and take a lesson??? Not to make excuses here, but looking at the other large population states gives the impression that none are doing that great. Texas at 40% isn't much better than us. This is probably just a byproduct of having a lot of people to consider in the formula so naturally it's worse in bigger states. It's also unclear what's meant by "available doses" so the percentage of what's been administered vs. what's unused might not be a clear cut figure from state to state. Then again, maybe it is just incompetence.

It is a bit early in the game though. If things don't ramp up in a month, I'd be more worried. I'm really hoping supply exceeds demand so quickly that all these ridiculous "tiers" and priority rankings for allocating the vaccine evaporate in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California