Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 05:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Eh. That's been pretty spotty.
For instance, I just read that since Riverside slid back down to the purple tier, they won't be closing any schools which are already operating, but will require others to apply for a waiver until the county shifts back to at least red. Where's the logic in that?
If a school is already open and there hasn't been an uptick in cases it can be assumed that there probably won't be one in the near future, but a school just starting could well have positive cases shortly after opening.
His latest intention of holding potential vaccines hostage too doesn't follow any actual science either. If the state was so concerned about FDA approval, they wouldn't have allowed so-called "medical" marijuana to be sold here for years. For that, they conveniently forget that the FDA has denounced it as non-medicine and no different than any other pot.
I don't hate Newsom, but he takes advice from political advisors and their data first and foremost. [/quote]
You want a vaccine rushed through by Trump, you will be free to get one, personally I would prefer to wait until someone else evaluates it. And I don't want to argue medical marijuana with you or anyone else. And i you have questions about why Newsom makes a particular decision, feel free to ask him.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:53 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why you would compare state marijuana approval during past state and federal administrations to insisting that current pandemic threat issues follow established scientific protocols is baffling.

I didn't make that comparison so maybe that's the source of the confusion.
Newsom is claiming he'll hold the vaccine hostage until his own appointees vet the FDA. As one of the two state legislators who are suing him pointed out, why isn't he holding other FDA approved drugs to that same standard then? It's a silly political move on his part and has nothing to do with "science". My views on weed are pretty apathetic. My point was that the FDA doesn't approve weed for medicinal use and yet the state sanctions, even encourages its use. It's just another example of the inconsistency of the message coming from Sacramento.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
I didn't make that comparison so maybe that's the source of the confusion.
Newsom is claiming he'll hold the vaccine hostage until his own appointees vet the FDA. As one of the two state legislators who are suing him pointed out, why isn't he holding other FDA approved drugs to that same standard then? It's a silly political move on his part and has nothing to do with "science". My views on weed are pretty apathetic. My point was that the FDA doesn't approve weed for medicinal use and yet the state sanctions, even encourages its use. It's just another example of the inconsistency of the message coming from Sacramento.

You are making the comparison again, as you did before. And I just explained how it isn’t an equivalency - thus there’s no “inconsistency of message coming from Sacramento.” Marijuana and a covid 19 vaccine have exactly nothing in common.

Again: marijuana is a natural plant used medicinally and recreationally since pre-historic times ... without issue.

Vaccines are man-made, laboratory recipe concoctions that typically have a variety of toxic, and even potentially fatal, side effects.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If a school is already open and there hasn't been an uptick in cases it can be assumed that there probably won't be one in the near future, but a school just starting could well have positive cases shortly after opening.

That's a huge stretch. If that was the case, there would be no need to have a county by county color code map with restrictions based on various metrics of the outbreak. We could just say, "well, this store over here isn't a proven source of a covid outbreak, so they're good to go - let them operate normally".

Quote:
You want a vaccine rushed through by Trump, you will be free to get one, personally I would prefer to wait until someone else evaluates it. And I don't want to argue medical marijuana with you or anyone else. And i you have questions about why Newsom makes a particular decision, feel free to ask him.
Sorry, but I couldn't help notice you putting a lot of words in my mouth there. Who says I want a vaccine rushed through by Trump? Who says that's even happening other than Trump's detractors? I trust the FDA for the reasons I pointed out the other day. Newsom wants to put himself front and center in the vaccine kerfuffle for purely political reasons. There's nothing in "science" to suggest that an FDA approved vaccine for covid poses a hazard to anyone other than the ones (like you and I and every other state resident) who might be denied it. And if you have a direct line to Newsom, please share it and I'll take you up on that offer to chew his ear off. I didn't say I had any questions for him though. Again, you just loaded those words into my mouth for me. I'm stating with no ambiguity whatsoever that his decisions are politically motivated so there's no need for me to ask him about that.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:

You are making the comparison again, as you did before. And I just explained how it isn’t an equivalency - thus there’s no “inconsistency of message coming from Sacramento.” Marijuana and a covid 19 vaccine have exactly nothing in common.

Again: marijuana is a natural plant used since pre-historic times ... without issue.

Vaccines are man-made, laboratory recipe concoctions that typically have a variety of toxic, and even potentially fatal, side effects.

You aren't bothering to read it carefully enough to see there's no comparison other than FDA approval, which is at the center of his decision to deny us the vaccine. The comparison is that of the FDA's other approved and non-approved drugs and the state's acceptance of those.

If that isn't clear, I can't explain it any better to you. It's called using examples to make a point.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You aren't bothering to read it carefully enough to see there's no comparison other than FDA approval, which is at the center of his decision to deny us the vaccine. The comparison is that of the FDA's other approved and non-approved drugs and the state's acceptance of those.

If that isn't clear, I can't explain it any better to you. It's called using examples to make a point.
No. Your examples are nonsensical. Non-sequiturs really. The categorization of drugs is not the salient question. The critical questions are: qualities, safety, and applications. The state is entitled to challenge federal overreach. One size does not fit all.

If that isn't clear, I can't explain it any better to you.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:24 PM

Default An

Quote:
That's a huge stretch. If that was the case, there would be no need to have a county by county color code map with restrictions based on various metrics of the outbreak. We could just say, "well, this store over here isn't a proven source of a covid outbreak, so they're good to go - let them operate normally".

Sorry, but I couldn't help notice you putting a lot of words in my mouth there. Who says I want a vaccine rushed through by Trump? Who says that's even happening other than Trump's detractors? I trust the FDA for the reasons I pointed out the other day. Newsom wants to put himself front and center in the vaccine kerfuffle for purely political reasons. There's nothing in "science" to suggest that an FDA approved vaccine for covid poses a hazard to anyone other than the ones (like you and I and every other state resident) who might be denied it. And if you have a direct line to Newsom, please share it and I'll take you up on that offer to chew his ear off. I didn't say I had any questions for him though. Again, you just loaded those words into my mouth for me. I'm stating with no ambiguity whatsoever that his decisions are politically motivated so there's no need for me to ask him about that.
Are you living under a rock? The reporting on this issue is deep ... far beyond CNN TDS. Dr. Fauci and many others in the FDA and CDC right now are raising alarm about the politicizing and fast tracking of vaccines. It’s ‘effing dangerous as hell. And Trump and his radiologist Covid advisor Atlas are acting in a dangerously unethical manner. Newsom (who I personally dislike intensely) is to be commended for standing up on the issue.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 PM

Did Newsom catch wind of the first FDA approved covid treatment today?
Is he going to deny its use to Californians?

Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogen1 View Post
What a load of BS. Newsom simply doesn’t want to let go of his stranglehold on the people of California. He’ll fail because he doesn’t have the authority to override the FDA. That’s been proven in court already. Newsom and the liberals have passed unconstitutional laws that end up getting overturned.

If you want someone using the virus for political gain, look at your liberal buddies that lockdown and shame everyone that goes out in crowds except their Antifa BLM stooges when they riot/protest. If anyone has politicized the virus, it’s Newsom.
Speaking of false equivalencies:
Antifa, BLM, protests, riots .... have nothing to do with the safety of a Covid vaccine.

And speaking of my “liberal buddies”: I am a staunch state’s rights, anti-immigration, anti-welfare, military supremacy supporter. So my “liberal buddies” aren’t real pleased with me actually.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The state is entitled to challenge federal overreach.

Huh???
What federal overreach?
That doesn't even make sense. The essence of Gavin's political posturing with respect to any vaccines that come down the pike, is to make the FDA defer to his own appointed state review board. He (and I guess you) have forgotten that the FDA is the federal entity responsible for approving medicines, etc. How you see overreach on the part of the feds in that scenario is a head-scratcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California