Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM

14,346 posts, read 11,738,230 times

Advertisements

All I can say is, if you choose Irvine because you think it's full of "platinum blonde women," you're going to be disappointed to find that the majority of young women are Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,972,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
All I can say is, if you choose Irvine because you think it's full of "platinum blonde women," you're going to be disappointed to find that the majority of young women are Asian.
The blondes are in Newport Beach, and that's only 20 minutes away!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Ok, so does Sacramento have any mall with the ambiance of the Irvine Spectrum? The same kind of upscale atmosphere and ritzy theme, an outdoor mall layout designed after a Moorish Bazaar? Literally based off the world-famous Alhambra palace in Grenada, Spain? Complete with a merry-go-round and a 108 foot ferris wheel?

Does Sacramento have any good vantage points open to the public to take in the view of the city? Irvine has several hiking trails with absolutely magnificent views of the city; on clear days you can even see Downtown LA and Catalina Island. Even just driving through many of the hilly areas like Portola Springs and Orchard Hills, you can see the city lights. Then, there's the Orange County Great Park's tethered hot-air balloon that rises 500 feet in the air. Does Sacramento have any good hills to hike? Nope, you have to drive all the way to El Dorado Hills.

Does Sacramento have killer authentic Chinese and Korean food? Nope. Irvine does--several chains actually come from China or Taiwan itself. Little Sheep Hot Pot, 85 degrees C bakery, Kingchops, Meizhou Dongpo Sichuanese Restaurant, and Meetfresh, the Taiwanese desert place.

Does Sacramento have the wonderful Mediterranean architecture to it? Irvine does. Entire neighborhoods feature Tuscan, Provencal, Spanish, Chateau, and Greek Island architecture. Sacramento has a cheap mission-style imitation, at best, in North Natomas and similarly new areas.

Let's not even mention how horrible the traffic and the roads are in Sacramento. Irvine's roads are always pothole-free, freshly paved, and feature beautifully landscaped medians. The traffic is remarkably smooth for such a large city. Or the crime in Sac. Irvine is far safer. Or the school district in Sac. Irvine far outshines education in Sac; Irvine's got some of the best schools in the nation. Plus, there's tons of high-tech, financial, and biomedical companies with offices right in Irvine; over in Sacramento, virtually all the employment is downtown. So your commute is actually shorter in Irvine than in Sacramento.

Irvine's building a 1347 acre park, the Orange County Great Park; that's larger than Golden Gate Park. Oh, and that's not even mentioning that at least 40% of the city's area at build-out will be parks, trails, and nature reserves. We even have a 22.5 mile Mountains to Sea trail connecting the foothills directly to the beach.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,363,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Ok, so does Sacramento have any mall with the ambiance of the Irvine Spectrum? The same kind of upscale atmosphere and ritzy theme, an outdoor mall layout designed after a Moorish Bazaar? Literally based off the world-famous Alhambra palace in Grenada, Spain? Complete with a merry-go-round and a 108 foot ferris wheel?
It's a mall. Don't care. Thank u, next.

Quote:
Does Sacramento have any good vantage points open to the public to take in the view of the city? Irvine has several hiking trails with absolutely magnificent views of the city; on clear days you can even see Downtown LA and Catalina Island. Even just driving through many of the hilly areas like Portola Springs and Orchard Hills, you can see the city lights. Then, there's the Orange County Great Park's tethered hot-air balloon that rises 500 feet in the air. Does Sacramento have any good hills to hike? Nope, you have to drive all the way to El Dorado Hills.
I don't choose where I live based on how I can see it. I choose to live based on the actual city and what it offers.

Quote:
Does Sacramento have killer authentic Chinese and Korean food? Nope. Irvine does--several chains actually come from China or Taiwan itself. Little Sheep Hot Pot, 85 degrees C bakery, Kingchops, Meizhou Dongpo Sichuanese Restaurant, and Meetfresh, the Taiwanese desert place.
I'm not going to say with certainty, but I'm sure Sac has great food of all sorts since it's one of the most diverse cities in the country.

Quote:
Does Sacramento have the wonderful Mediterranean architecture to it? Irvine does. Entire neighborhoods feature Tuscan, Provencal, Spanish, Chateau, and Greek Island architecture. Sacramento has a cheap mission-style imitation, at best, in North Natomas and similarly new areas.
You mean that cheap Mediterranean style tract home suburbia that exists as far as the eye can see? Don't care. Thank u, next.

Quote:
Let's not even mention how horrible the traffic and the roads are in Sacramento. Irvine's roads are always pothole-free, freshly paved, and feature beautifully landscaped medians. The traffic is remarkably smooth for such a large city. Or the crime in Sac. Irvine is far safer. Or the school district in Sac. Irvine far outshines education in Sac; Irvine's got some of the best schools in the nation. Plus, there's tons of high-tech, financial, and biomedical companies with offices right in Irvine; over in Sacramento, virtually all the employment is downtown. So your commute is actually shorter in Irvine than in Sacramento.
Irvine has El Toro Y and have you ever driven through during rush hour? It's one of the most miserable things I've ever done in my life.
It has freshly paved streets and landscaped medians because it's a boring AF suburb full of soccer moms.
It's safer because it's a suburb full of soccer moms.
The schools are good because it's a suburb full of soccer moms.
Oh no how DARE Sac put all their jobs in downtown as if...it's...some sorta downtown...or something. Ugh those Irvine soccer moms would just be appalled at seeing pedestrians and public transit.

Quote:
Irvine's building a 1347 acre park, the Orange County Great Park; that's larger than Golden Gate Park. Oh, and that's not even mentioning that at least 40% of the city's area at build-out will be parks, trails, and nature reserves. We even have a 22.5 mile Mountains to Sea trail connecting the foothills directly to the beach.
Wow you mean to tell me, that in the good Christian suburbs full of fake suburbia housing and strip malls and freeways they managed to find some open space? Well color me surprised! I had no idea that the good Christian suburbs and soccer moms found a place where their sheltered children can actually leave their cul de sac to!

Sac is a real city. Irvine is a fake suburb. I literally don't care what Irvine does because I couldn't imagine a more mind-numbing, soulless, boring, fake purgatory on Earth...besides Florida.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's a mall. Don't care. Thank u, next.

I don't choose where I live based on how I can see it. I choose to live based on the actual city and what it offers.

I'm not going to say with certainty, but I'm sure Sac has great food of all sorts since it's one of the most diverse cities in the country.

You mean that cheap Mediterranean style tract home suburbia that exists as far as the eye can see? Don't care. Thank u, next.

Irvine has El Toro Y and have you ever driven through during rush hour? It's one of the most miserable things I've ever done in my life.
It has freshly paved streets and landscaped medians because it's a boring AF suburb full of soccer moms.
It's safer because it's a suburb full of soccer moms.
The schools are good because it's a suburb full of soccer moms.
Oh no how DARE Sac put all their jobs in downtown as if...it's...some sorta downtown...or something. Ugh those Irvine soccer moms would just be appalled at seeing pedestrians and public transit.

Wow you mean to tell me, that in the good Christian suburbs full of fake suburbia housing and strip malls and freeways they managed to find some open space? Well color me surprised! I had no idea that the good Christian suburbs and soccer moms found a place where their sheltered children can actually leave their cul de sac to!

Sac is a real city. Irvine is a fake suburb. I literally don't care what Irvine does because I couldn't imagine a more mind-numbing, soulless, boring, fake purgatory on Earth...besides Florida.
You can stop with your bashing of Irvine as a conservative mecca. It is not. Orange County voted for Hillary. Irvine voted for Hillary in even greater percentages than Orange County. Most neighborhoods actually voted in favor of legalizing pot. It has a large atheist, Buddhist, and Muslim population.

Irvine has top notch schools because they have more Asians (just kidding, but only sort of). Anything wrong with that?

Yes, I have driven through El Toro Y during rush hour. I can say with absolute certainty that the I-80 from Sacramento to Davis is more congested even during off-peak hours than the El Toro Y.

You don't care about a city having great hiking trails and panoramic views of the city below? Well, many people do. Why else would people flock to Twin Peaks in San Fran? Or to Griffith Park in Los Angeles? To see the city lights, of course.

Irvine is a fake suburb? Oh, so it's fake just because it's super clean, safe, and well-planned? Tokyo is also super clean, safe and well-planned. Singapore is also super clean, safe and well-planned. So Tokyo and Singapore are more fake and less of a city than Sacramento?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,363,645 times
Quote:
You can stop with your bashing of Irvine as a conservative mecca. It is not. Orange County voted for Hillary. Irvine voted for Hillary in even greater percentages than Orange County. Most neighborhoods actually voted in favor of legalizing pot. It has a large atheist, Buddhist, and Muslim population.

Irvine has top notch schools because they have more Asians (just kidding, but only sort of). Anything wrong with that?

Yes, I have driven through El Toro Y during rush hour. I can say with absolute certainty that the I-80 from Sacramento to Davis is more congested even during off-peak hours than the El Toro Y.

You don't care about a city having great hiking trails and panoramic views of the city below? Well, many people do. Why else would people flock to Twin Peaks in San Fran? Or to Griffith Park in Los Angeles? To see the city lights, of course.

Irvine is a fake suburb? Oh, so it's fake just because it's super clean, safe, and well-planned? Tokyo is also super clean, safe and well-planned. Singapore is also super clean, safe and well-planned. So Tokyo and Singapore are more fake and less of a city than Sacramento?
I never said it was a conservative mecca. I also never drew a comparison between "Christian" and conservative. But the people who like Irvine are more inclined to the typical suburbia family with a boring life and idk how else to epitomize that. My bad.

The schools are good...because it's a suburb full of wealthy people.

I tend to not believe you on the traffic, unless you want to prove me wrong with data.

Nah idc about hiking trails because I'm a city boy and I like rooftop bars for panoramic views. Also, people drive up Twin Peaks and to Griffith Observatory because you get great views of some of the most scenic, iconic, vibrant cities in the world. Irvine is generic suburbia. Nobody cares to look at its cul de sacs. Idk what city lights you're talking about in Irvine besides street lamps through twisty subrubia.

It's fake. It's literally a planned suburb. Tokyo and Singapore are not planned suburbs with tract houses and cul de sacs and office parks and strip malls. They're authentic cities that developed into well-planned global elite cities. Irvine is a planned suburb. Big difference. Being clean and safe while being the size of Tokyo and Singapore and having their dynamic atmospheres is impressive. Keeping a master planned suburb with no vibrancy, street life, tourism, entertainment, etc. or any type of draw to it clean and safe is way simpler and far less impressive. Sac is a real city by the evidence of it having real city problems. Irvine is worried about whether Karen had too much wine at book club or whether little Joey smoked too much reefer so it's turning him gay.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM

37,223 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:

There’s no mall like Irvine Spectrum in Sacramento, so if that’s what you’re into then that’s great.

There is definitely a good diversity of cuisine to choose from in Sacramento and that probably follows from the very diverse population of Sacramento.

The homes in Irvine are a kind of mishmash of Mediterranean something or other, and some of them are nice while others look Frankenstein-ish to me. Sacramento being the older city has a lot of Victorians among other earlier 20th century houses which I generally like.

Irvine does have very smooth roads and sidewalks empty of pedestrians. It’s a matter of preference here as I vastly prefer walking and biking. There’s also a decent light rail and bus system in Sacramento whereas mass transit in Irvine isn’t very good.

I like parks! Sacramento has quite a few, but not with the vistas that Irvine’s do. I do wish Irvine had reserved a lot more from development.

Sacramento as the state’s capital and the heart of a metropolitan area does have a lot of concert venues and events happening within its borders which Irvine does not. You can always drive to them elsewhere as you would drive to everything else. There’s also pretty much no art or music scene in Irvine though there are departments at UCI.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM

14,346 posts, read 11,738,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There’s also pretty much no art or music scene in Irvine though there are departments at UCI.
The Segerstrom Center for the Arts/Orange County Performing Arts center is no more than 10 minutes from the border of Irvine and Costa Mesa. It's not technically IN Irvine, but it's disingenuous to suggest that Irvine is isolated from the arts.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
The Segerstrom Center for the Arts/Orange County Performing Arts center is no more than 10 minutes from the border of Irvine and Costa Mesa. It's not technically IN Irvine, but it's disingenuous to suggest that Irvine is isolated from the arts.
Don't forget, the Pacific Symphony is world class. Their concert hall was built in 2006 and designed by Cesar Hello, one of the most famous architects in the world, same guy who designed the Personas Towers.

There's also theater and ballet at Segerstrom. Santa Ana has a fine science museum and history museum, the Bowers museum.

And yes, OyCrumbler, I am Chinese and ate at Sacramento's Chinatown. Disappointing to say the least. No comparison to Irvine.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM

37,223 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget, the Pacific Symphony is world class. Their concert hall was built in 2006 and designed by Cesar Hello, one of the most famous architects in the world, same guy who designed the Personas Towers.

There's also theater and ballet at Segerstrom. Santa Ana has a fine science museum and history museum, the Bowers museum.

And yes, OyCrumbler, I am Chinese and ate at Sacramento's Chinatown. Disappointing to say the least. No comparison to Irvine.
Yes, those exist and you can get to them pretty easily from Irvine. It’s not disingenious to say Irvine doesn’t have much of an arts and music scene as most of that is outside of Irvine. Sacramento in comparison is the heart of the arts and music scene of the area and is far more active overall. There is nothing untruthful about that. I also don’t see a reasonable contention for the idea that Sacramento has far more arts and music events than Irvine does. It is the state capital and uncontested center of its metropolitan area after all, and its relative affordability has meant that it has allowed a thriving arts and music scene to exist.

I didn’t say the Chinese in Sacramento Chinatown is better, but I did say there was a great diversity of cuisine. Irvine’s a third or more Chinese descent at this point, and i’d expect that cuisine to be well-represented there.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-10-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California