Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,647,732 times

Advertisements

Irvine is nice I agree, but Sac supplies the US, as well as the world with many useful products. I realize that Irvine has some tech companies there, but it doesn’t compare to Northern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,293,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Irvine is nice I agree, but Sac supplies the US, as well as the world with many useful products. I realize that Irvine has some tech companies there, but it doesn’t compare to Northern California.
compare Irvine to NorCal?

a city of 200k+ versus a region of 15m+?

Old 01-14-2019, 02:29 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,699,721 times
While LA is not a bedroom community of OC, it's true that, at least in 2013, there was no significant difference between the number of people commuting from OC->LA vs. LA->OC:
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb13-r13.html

The above information is dated, and I think that the next census will show, as many rush hour drivers strongly suspect, that significantly more workers travel to OC from LA than vice versa. People also pour into both LA and OC from Riverside.

There's far more to OC than Disneyland and beaches.

LA and Orange counties lead the state, nation’s counties in economic growth
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/10/17...onomic-growth/

Orange County economic growth finally revving into high gear
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...723-story.html

This year, the county is expected to add the most new jobs in 17 years, outpacing the growth rate of California and the nation. Businesses are leasing so much space that the county's biggest landlord is running out of offices to offer tenants.

"We have customers that we can't accommodate, because we are so full," said Irvine Co. office executive Steven M. Case. "That is the premise of building this building."

Last edited by pacific2; 01-14-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,293,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
While LA is not a bedroom community of OC, it's true that, at least in 2013, there was no significant difference between the number of people commuting from OC->LA vs. LA->OC:

The above information is dated, and I think that the next census will show, as many rush hour drivers strongly suspect, that significantly more workers travel to OC from LA than vice versa. People also pour into both LA and OC from Riverside.

This year, the county is expected to add the most new jobs in 17 years, outpacing the growth rate of California and the nation. Businesses are leasing so much space that the county's biggest landlord is running out of offices to offer tenants.

"We have customers that we can't accommodate, because we are so full," said Irvine Co. office executive Steven M. Case. "That is the premise of building this building."
people cant just believe that OC is a powerhouse on its own w/o big government spending that sustain some places like Sacramento

its even bigger than 21 states

Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

The Orange County of old is now dead, as even the politics have drastically changed:

In Orange County, a Republican Fortress Turns Democratic
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/u...ographics.html

Looking at its continued economic growth, fueled in part by the expansion of tech, pharmaceutical, medical device companies, etc., coupled with a shift in demographics and politics, this is no longer your grandpa's (Or grandma's ) OC.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
people cant just believe that OC is a powerhouse on its own w/o big government spending that sustain some places like Sacramento

I agree.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,369,678 times
Quote:

Nobody ever said that. But you're now comparing one of the largest counties in the country to one city. I would never argue that Orange County is inferior to Sac...because it's not. But taken individually, no one city in OC comes out on top over Sac. I would never ever ever deny that OC is more powerful, influential, and desirable when compared to Sac on its own. The only way Sac can be seen as superior to OC is when considering that Sac is the seat of government for the entire state. All of the most important decisions in CA that have led it to be the fifth largest economy in the world and all the important decisions of the CA government that have allowed every corner of the state to succeed come from Sac. The growth is actually elsewhere, but Sac gets the title of where those policy decisions have come from. Without Sac and it being the capital, CA would not be what it is, but without all the other cities and counties, Sac wouldn't have the power that it does.

Still, I don't think Irvine alone is superior to Sac. It's a major job center, but it's still a suburb. Many employment centers are located in suburbs. Just look at Silicon Valley and Palo Alto/Mountain View--they are massive employment centers with (most likely) worldwide name recognition for being the center of tech for the world more or less. However, they are both suburbs to SF and SJ. The definition of a suburb doesn't change just because it is a big job center.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suburb
Irvine is a smaller community within commuting distance to LA. That doesn't mean those living in Irvine have to actually commute to LA for work. But everything is about Irvine is suburban in nature: it lacks public transportation, it's family-oriented, it is full of malls and strip malls instead of having a true downtown, its streets are built for family-friendliness with winding roads and cul-de-sacs, its major employment center is a collection of office parks, it is well-served by freeways, it's safe, and if traveling abroad nobody will know where Irvine is so people will have to say they're from the LA area. There is nothing wrong with any of that. Some people like that vibe. Personally, I hate it, but there's no denying that Irvine is a suburb, regardless of it being a massive employment hub.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 PM

6,924 posts, read 8,311,915 times
Quote:
there is nothing in there if it was not made state capital. what would you be working there if there are no govt jobs?

Irvine can stand on its own.
You are wrong about that.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-15-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Yes, Sacramento has always been more than Politics and state gov't. But Sacramento has been a major player in every major political California (and national) issue.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Sacramento would just be a small city if it is not the state capital, stop over before you get to lake tahoe just as fresno is if you are going to Yosemite

i doubt if Sacramento Kings would be holding court there if it is not the state capital
This logic means Washington D.C. wouldn't be much without the Federal gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California