Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM

56 posts, read 70,426 times

Advertisements

My dream is to move out to California. I was recently accepted into a local instate university, but don't see myself there.

I can't afford out of state tuition; what would you suggest? I just recently turned 21, so i am definitely stressing the college choice; i know i always have the opportunity to return as a nontraditional. however, you have people complaining over the "five year plan," which has already begun to bother me. i can only expect what running from the issue of being behind by quitting would do.

I have never had the opportunity to travel much, as i have not had the ability to afford to. i have experienced some hardships in my life lately, basically homeless.

i've wanted to escape my life, stereotypes, and to see the pacific coast so bad, that i literally took a road trip from the east coast to California.

i am feeling so down lately, that i have literally thought about just living homeless on venice beach.

i suppose many of you won't know what to say this, or care to, and there might have been a better way of expressing this, but i am saying exactly what i feel at the moment, and hoping someone out there is a lifeline resource as i know nowhere else to turn.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
To be perfectly honest, we don't need any more homeless.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Go to college where you are or be homeless in CA? Well, you definitely aren't college material..

Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,683,437 times
I would first suggest that look at what California has become through census reports and investigate the cost of living in a tax strapped state. Many people are leaving because of the cost of living, so find the local newspaper on line or try Trulia to get a feel for the rental rates for shared housing. In San Jose the cost of living is over 160% of the national average. Don't forget to take a look at our job market as you will probably have to work while attending classes but you are young enough to sleep a few hours to balance both work and school. I would suggest you complete your education where you are and then when you have the good employment skills, move to California for a few years to see how you like it. The California that many of us once dreamed of doesn't exist today so do your homework. Without a good financial base, life will be difficult no matter where you live.

Today, some people are promoting highly skilled jobs over going to college but that remains to be seen as to whether that is a good idea. A quick buck today might be nice as long as you continue to grow and have the flexibility to change with the times. May I suggest you spend some time with your college counselor and take aptitude tests to help you decide how to best leverage what talents you already have developed a plan to go forward. With a good plan in place, you will be too busy to notice where you are living. Do it now while you have the energy!

Don't allow anyone to say you aren't college material as you have the rest of your life to grow to who you want to be. I apologize for anyone trying to put you into the ground.

It sounds as if you are running away from something rather than toward a goal but that is for you to decide. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Go to college where you are or be homeless in CA? Well, you definitely aren't college material..
haha. yeah, "college material," i think that stereotype was thrown out the window after my acceptance.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifeforme View Post
My dream is to move out to California. I was recently accepted into a local instate university, but don't see myself there.

I can't afford out of state tuition; what would you suggest? I just recently turned 21, so i am definitely stressing the college choice; i know i always have the opportunity to return as a nontraditional. however, you have people complaining over the "five year plan," which has already begun to bother me. i can only expect what running from the issue of being behind by quitting would do.

I have never had the opportunity to travel much, as i have not had the ability to afford to. i have experienced some hardships in my life lately, basically homeless.

i've wanted to escape my life, stereotypes, and to see the pacific coast so bad, that i literally took a road trip from the east coast to California.

i am feeling so down lately, that i have literally thought about just living homeless on venice beach.

i suppose many of you won't know what to say this, or care to, and there might have been a better way of expressing this, but i am saying exactly what i feel at the moment, and hoping someone out there is a lifeline resource as i know nowhere else to turn.

thanks.

Join the Navy, see the world, get an education and a paycheck at the same time.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Join the Navy, see the world, get an education and a paycheck at the same time.
i don't think i'm cut out for the Navy. it seems they won't accept anyone for anything as simple as less than 20/20 vision.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM

64 posts, read 264,970 times
"Join the Navy, see the world, get an education and a paycheck at the same time."

I agree completely with this one. You will get to leave what is troubling you and gain valuable experience with the opportunity to complete a college education. Come to California if you wish after you complete your military service. Or excel in the Military and come to DLI in Monterey or NPGS for advanced studies if it is available to you.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
To be perfectly honest, we don't need any more homeless.
what is your suggestion then? the homeless should simply get jobs? what if they can't?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,481,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifeforme View Post
haha. yeah, "college material," i think that stereotype was thrown out the window after my acceptance.
They want your out-of-state tuition dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California