Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifeforme View Post
haha. yeah, "college material," i think that stereotype was thrown out the window after my acceptance.
If you get your college degree before your children become adults you won't be so bitter with others who are striving to better themselves while they are young. Only you can define yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM

56 posts, read 70,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They want your out-of-state tuition dollars.
i'm in-state... did you not read the thread?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you get your college degree before your children become adults you won't be so bitter with others who are striving to better themselves while they are young. Only you can define yourself.
yeah, it's a lot more complicated than that, though. i had an instructor advise one time that if you are simply attending because it is that time of your life, and you don't know what you want to do, then take some time off.

especially, if you can't maintain a good GPA, which might affect you down the road.

example: you go and finish by age 22-23; make bad grades for whatever reason; get a degree in something easy. later down the road you want to go for nursing or professional school. well, those transcripts will follow you.

example 2: take time off, figure out what you want, go back for the degree that you know you want, and make excellent grades.

i mean, i have so many things going through my mind, and don't know who to trust.

i appreciate everyone's response even if i may have come off rude of offensive.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
I'm confused. Do you live in CA now and have already been accepted by a CA university?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'm confused. Do you live in CA now and have already been accepted by a CA university?
no. i live in north carolina and was accepted by a nc university.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
How will California, specifically, and not some other state, cure all your ills?

Old 07-10-2011, 03:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
What Escape was saying was that CA universities are making a push to attract out-of-state students to pay outrageously high "out-of-state" fees.
I think it's a good idea to keep your education costs as low as possible, so your best bet is to stay in NC until you graduate. Hopefully by then there will be a much better economy than what we currently have.
There are plenty of nice things about NC to enjoy while you get your degree. California will still be here...... I think.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM

essentially, i have so many issues in my life and just cannot for the life of me focus. i was doing pretty good for a while, but i haven't been able to study in a while.

i have many issues with my teeth; i need orthognathic surgery. this affects my ability to focus, and function (i have pain all throughout my face), and i can't afford dental insurance.

that is just the start of it, but definitely one of the big issues.

i am very irritated by cold air; in the winter, after classes, i always have to run home and shower and throw on shorts and a shirt (this gets old); i know i sound like i'm complaining, but i sit in class at times and literally feel like i'm "coming out of my skin."

"How will California, specifically, and not some other state, cure all your ills?"

The ocean, the people (many homeless), the climate (although not quite Florida), the colleges seem more appropriate for me (although i think many of the students are snobby - UCLA types).

i mean do i really need to explain it; i do have specific concrete reasons, but right now i'm just trying to get away before the "big sleep."

in all honestly, i have some serious issues as of lately - i can't stand myself, hate looking at my reflection in the mirror, and my recent turn to alcohol as my only affordable form of education is not sufficient.

i have three (3) pages of issues i have self diagnosed no one cares to listen to (psychological, physical, etc.); i can't afford the appointments. thus, if i ever to figure out the college thing, i was thinking of saying screw it to math, philosophy, etc, and just studying psychology, but idk.

seems psychology field is really just a joke, there is really no helping hte mentally ill. i suppose i will save this aspect of my life for a mental health board, though.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifeforme View Post
what is your suggestion then? the homeless should simply get jobs? what if they can't?
I have no suggestion for the homeless. I simply don't want anymore than we already have. Stay where you are if you're planning on being homeless in California.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 PM

i am afraid i am going to end up: dead, in jail, in some situation in which i am not happy with and have no control over, if i don't just get away.

if my life is over, i might as well die of starvation on the pacific coast staring out at the ocean.

(i've already had several near death experiences out there) - feel asleep driving; drove off exits; etc.. i'm still here... so who knows what my purpose is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California