Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,105,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ya see? Generalizations just don't work. You are now free to analyze me sociologically and tell me where I fit in. I dare ya to get it right.
Generalizations work just fine, the problem is when you conflate statistical generalizations with universal ones. Any statements about human culture are going to be statistical generalizations and there will always be at least a few counter-examples.

There are no rigid lines dividing the socioeconomic groups, they are fuzzy lines, yet there are real differences between socioeconomic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Generalizations work just fine, the problem is when you conflate statistical generalizations with universal ones. Any statements about human culture are going to be statistical generalizations and there will always be at least a few counter-examples.

There are no rigid lines dividing the socioeconomic groups, they are fuzzy lines, yet there are real differences between socioeconomic groups.
LOL! I think you need more time with real people and less with your school books.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
LOL! I think you need more time with real people and less with your school books.
I think you need more time with school and books.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,077,249 times
Quote:
Adjusted for inflation that is around $67k, which is a good $15k higher than the median household income for the US. I'm not sure what you're trying to show, this shows that horse owners are on average wealthier than non-horse owners. Furthermore, income isn't what needs to be looked at in the first place, its wealth. Someone can be worth 10 million and only realize $80k in annual income.

Lastly, I never claimed that only the wealthy have horses, rather I claimed that they are used as status symbols (excluding ranchers, etc) to signal wealth. Much like owning a BMW, which plenty of middle-class people own (in fact, their marketing is largely targeted towards the middle-class).
OK would you prefer a distribution by income:
Per the American Vet Association - distribution of household income of horse owners (this is 1996, the newer number is in a proprietary study that they charge $300 for):
under $12,500 - 9.5%
$12,500 To $24,999 - 20.3%
$25,000 To $39,999 - 21.8%
$40,000 To $59,999 - 23.1%
$60,000 And Over - 25.4%
Household Ownership

Even as old data that looks like a decent income distribution.

And you keep saying an opposite opinion with no data or facts. So your turn, where are your sources?

By the way, surfermag.com puts the demographics of its visitors as:
15-30 yrs: 83%

AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD INCOME:
$85,000
2011 Surfer Media Kit

That doesn't look very "working class" to me.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I think you need more time with school and books.
At my age, Laddie, the twin schools of hard knocks and life are and have been profoundly more useful and enlightening.

May I suggest an appropriate repository for all your academese?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times
Quote:
At my age, Laddie, the twin schools of hard knocks and life are and have been profoundly more useful and enlightening.

It's not 'academese', it's Wikipedia-ese ... same repository works for both in any case, though ...

Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
It's not 'academese', it's Wikipedia-ese ... same repository works for both in any case, though ...
I thought there was something wacky....ummm....Wiki about it all.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 AM

296 posts, read 614,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Jeeze, they started construction on DP harbor in 1967. You were in a time warp with that old publication. Hey, did you hear that Cotton's Point is closed for surfing now? President Nixon bought the old Cotton estate and established the Western White House there. You might be able to spot him walking on the beach in his suit, tie and wingtip shoes.

Which ones were those?
LOL, yes as I said the book was quite old (1963). Here's a link to the book.

And to be honest I don't remember exactly which additional beaches were no longer available as I made these trips many years ago. i just remember them having been privatized for some hotels. I was clueless at the time freshly migrated to the state and this book happened to be the first one I found.

In recent years I found the coast of Portugal to be a lot closer to what was in that old surfing guide than what's in Southern California. Portugal's got the very surfy Fado-inspired music as well.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
OK would you prefer a distribution by income:
Per the American Vet Association - distribution of household income of horse owners (this is 1996, the newer number is in a proprietary study that they charge $300 for):
under $12,500 - 9.5%
$12,500 To $24,999 - 20.3%
$25,000 To $39,999 - 21.8%
$40,000 To $59,999 - 23.1%
$60,000 And Over - 25.4%
You do realize that the information you are posting is all conflicting right? I don't have the time to see what they are looking at exactly, but obvious its different for each thing. You previously stated the median was $60k, yet the above distribution has a median of around $40k.

But, as I said before, you are citing data on income when I'm not talking about income. I'm talking about horses as status symbols in the American class system. The only comments I've stated about money is that your average working-class family in a metro area can't afford a horse.

Also, a family can hardly live on less than $25k a year so the fact that the above has 30% of horse owners having this sort of income is very telling, obviously these people have wealth that goes well beyond their income.

You need to look at wealth, not income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD INCOME:
$85,000
2011 Surfer Media Kit

That doesn't look very "working class" to me.
You are comparing apples and oranges.... Average and median are two rather different numbers. Additionally, the numbers are skewed by the fact that surfers live in or near coastal cities which have higher living costs and hence higher wages compared to the rest of the country. Again, apples to oranges.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Yeah...I've heard it all before. But what one finds "more useful" is of course related to their underlying mental state and choices in live.

I hate to break it to you, but "hard knocks and life" aren't too helpful when doing anything of real importance... Perhaps its suitable for government work though.

Anyhow, I use my "academese" on a daily basis. If I relied on "hard knocks and life" I'd be broke and living like most the people I grew up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California