Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

We all at some point came from "horse people", I'm talking about today.
So am I, as long as today is defined as "my parents up to now".

I'm not going to continue the round-robin with you about the status symbol angle. You'd actually have to enjoy riding horseback to understand where I'm coming from, and you apparently don't.* (Or you're being purposely obtuse for the sake of argument, which also isn't rare here at C-D)

* Much like I don't understand riding loud motorcycles or clanking 4WD vehicles out in the peace and tranquility of the desert, something I wouldn't do if you paid me. I don't get it and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Really? You've seen? Did the rich kids have gold platted wet suits? The only way you're going to determine this is if you were out on the waves talking to people, so where did you go surfing?

In terms of Malibu, let me introduce you to something called an automobile, it can magically transport people to the beach.

I find it funny to what degree people object to classification of activities, tastes, etc along socio-economic lines. Americans have a strong sense that they live in a classless society, yet social class is a dominate force in their lives. Very odd!
Oh sorry let me qualify that statement. I lived it. Not that we were rich only that my friends families were. I spent my high school years hanging out, playing and working in Malibu. The only driving they would do was to drive to another beach that happens to have better surf. Sometimes that could even be over in Oxnard or Ventura. Sometimes we would hop in my families plane and fly to a better spot. I didn't question the net worth of any of my friends families, as that is just rude. Still one can make the connection that if someone is living in an exspensive home, driving an exspensive car, and living a certain kind of lifestyle that they must have something in the bank.

As far as horses, I have co-workers that sure make a nice income but are far from wealthy and they have horses. One co-worker who is in the $100,000 a year range has 3 horses. I don't see that as being rich by any means.

I find it funny to what degree you generalize everything in many of your posts.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,078,943 times
Several different studies peg the median household income of horse owners at $60,000 per year. That is also roughly the median household income in California. I don't consider that to be wealthy.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
... (Or you're [user_id] being purposely obtuse for the sake of argument ...)
ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Oh sorry let me qualify that statement. ...
I find it funny to what degree you [user_id] generalize everything in many of your posts.
ya think?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm not going to continue the round-robin with you about the status symbol angle. You'd actually have to enjoy riding horseback to understand where I'm coming from, and you apparently don't.* (Or you're being purposely obtuse for the sake of argument, which also isn't rare here at C-D)
I'm talking about sociology/anthropology so I'm not sure how your enjoyment of horseback riding plays a role. Perhaps, you are the sole creature that has formed his tastes outside of his cultural and sociological infrastructure?

Anyhow, I don't know why I expect people to be properly engaged in a discussion about sociology on an internet forum. The illusion of a classless society runs very deep in American culture.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Several different studies peg the median household income of horse owners at $60,000 per year. That is also roughly the median household income in California. I don't consider that to be wealthy.
Several huh? Any reason why you're not citing one? Income is not the thing to look at in the first place though, its wealth.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

964 posts, read 2,649,884 times
Maybe the people who want horses want something to spend their retirement money on.

Quote:
Anybody else have no serious plans to save for retirement? I can't think of a reason why I'd actually want to retire and therefore don't save for it in any sort of serious way.

from

https://www.city-data.com/forum/perso...etirement.html

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
I'm talking about sociology/anthropology so I'm not sure how your enjoyment of horseback riding plays a role. Perhaps, you are the sole creature that has formed his tastes outside of his cultural and sociological infrastructure?
Ah, quick recovery there user ... now defining that you are " talking about sociology/anthropology" ... you didn't declare that initially ... subtract points from the debate tally ... you're going to have to answer to your team coach for that one ...

Quote:
Anyhow, I don't know why I expect people to be properly engaged in a discussion about sociology on an internet forum. The illusion of a classless society runs very deep in American culture.
Really ... true enough ... all us boorish plebians! Why indeed do you bother to vaunt and try to lift us up to your intellectual level? But "argue on"!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The only driving they would do was to drive to another beach that happens to have better surf. Sometimes that could even be over in Oxnard or Ventura.
The point of my comment was that you don't need to be a resident of Malibu to surf in Malibu, Malibu beaches are some of the closest to the San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley, Conejo Valley, etc.

Anyhow, if you flip through a surfing mag its rather obvious what their target demographic is in terms of socioeconomic class.

Quote:
Still one can make the connection that if someone is living in an exspensive home, driving an exspensive car, and living a certain kind of lifestyle that they must have something in the bank.
Not when you have Visa, Mastercard, HELOCs, etc. The working and middle-class are fond of over extending themselves, that is especially true in California.

Quote:
One co-worker who is in the $100,000 a year range has 3 horses. I don't see that as being rich by any means.
$100k is well beyond the typical working class income. In Oxnard that would put you in the top 5~8% or so. Anyhow, I'm talking about social class though, social class is merely correlated with wealth and loosely correlated with income.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Maybe the people who want horses want something to spend their retirement money on.
Maybe? But what is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California