Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,453,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'd rather they dump a few amps through the pusher rather than just locking the wheel.
That would be pretty damn funny LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,014,707 times
In some palces they take the carts home, park them in fron of their house, come back out and load kids into them and push them around, it is the new mode of transportation.

The better homes usually have the double seater Target carts in fron of them.

The best homes get the electric handicap carts.

On Saturdays you see groups of people in their driveways, washing, waxing and buffing their carts.

There was a bisness that tried painting flames on the sides of the carts, but the paint kept going through the holes between the wires. They went out of business.

The coolest carts now have spinner wheels and 20,000 amp Stereo systems.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,094,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In some palces they take the carts home, park them in fron of their house, come back out and load kids into them and push them around, it is the new mode of transportation.

The better homes usually have the double seater Target carts in fron of them.

The best homes get the electric handicap carts.

On Saturdays you see groups of people in their driveways, washing, waxing and buffing their carts.

There was a bisness that tried painting flames on the sides of the carts, but the paint kept going through the holes between the wires. They went out of business.

But do they come equipped with satellite radio, GPS, and a radar detector? Cuz ... if they don't, I don't want one.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 02-17-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,697,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Honestly, I have seen a whole bunch more homeless white guys pushing shopping carts than any minority group.
Homeless people regardless of color take a cart and keep it.

People like the woman in the picture take a different cart every time they shop. Then abandon it somewhere close to where they live.

And next shopping trip, take another cart.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
Isn't Aldi USA fitting their carts with a locking devices which requires a quarter to unlock? In Germany ANY supermarket does it. You have to put a Euro coin in (or any token in the same size) and the cart will be unleashed from the chain which holds to the next one. When you're finished to pack your stuff in the trunk, you simply have to return the cart a few meters to get your coin back. Life can be so easy...
I KNOW - why doesn't California do this?

When I went to visit my boyfriend's parents in Wichita, Kansas, they had an Aldi's store there where this simple "technology" was used to keep carts around the store.

Why does California need people with flatbed trucks going around locating carts instead of instituting this system?

In California we make a lot of simple things very, very difficult.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,513,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
We need big giant signs in Spanish that say "Stop stealing our grocery carts!"

I see this nonsense all the time, but this one was worthy of a pic because there's only ONE grocery bag in the cart (aside from the McDonald's trash)

The amount of money the store has to pay to get their cart back is many, many times the profit they made from whatever is in that lone grocery bag from Ralph's.

p.s. she's on the phone, not walking crooked on purpose
If the store wants to do something about it they'll do something about it.

[not my problem]

Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 AM

767 posts, read 1,747,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
We need big giant signs in Spanish that say "Stop stealing our grocery carts!"

p.s. she's on the phone, not walking crooked on purpose

Yeah, but we're expected to sympathize with the working class here as being "exploited", which case all that they do is excused.

And, yes, she is walking crooked. Which causes me to sympathize with her even moreso that the non-crooked-footed working class people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Funny how this wasn't a problem in CA 40 yrs ago.

Gee what happened?
That's a real good question. Real good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I dare not say the "L" word.
You would be the racist scum of the Earth if you did and if you were.. L.. then you would "hate your own people".

Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Honestly, I have seen a whole bunch more homeless white guys pushing shopping carts than any minority group.
This clarifies the matter.

Quote:

Somehow that reminds me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGLNPJ9VCE

I wouldn't put it past Oaktown..

(best video ever, BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I KNOW - why doesn't California do this?

In California we make a lot of simple things very, very difficult.
when you refer to "California", who exactly are you referring to? The state gov? The county or city govs?

Please be more vague so that our vision can outrightly blur after reading your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[not my problem]
Flatly apathetic, but true. It is, literally, the store's business. I don't think cricket_factor is quite ready to understand that, though. It's easier to put the onus on "California".

Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,561,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[not my problem]
Sure it is. You pay for them at the checkstand.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,014,707 times
I asked at a store about this. They said that if we do nto let them take their groceries home in one of our carts, they will jsut go shop smoeplace that will let them. It is cheaper to pay to have our carts picked up than to lose half of our customers.

This was a local market within walking distance of several neighborhoods.

I went to ask them this after one of those trucks stopped in front of our house at 5 a.m. and tried to pick up four carts that were left in fron of the apartments across the street. the truck was full and they ended up dumping about 20 carts off the back of the truck before they figured out that the additioanl four woudl nto fit. Then they spent half an hour cussing loudly while re-loading their truck. Then they tried again to get two of the four carts on their truck before accepting that it just could not be done and giving up. By then (6:15) we were all wide awake. It was like a clown act at a circus.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM

95 posts, read 225,447 times
Quote:
I went to ask them this after one of those trucks stopped in front of our house at 5 a.m. and tried to pick up four carts
Maybe you should tell the store manager that YOU would stop shopping at his place when his trucks keep on waking you up at 5 in the morning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California