Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times

Advertisements

Aside from Ralphs, Vons and Albertsons, what are the best grocery stores in Southern California?

Some of my favorites are:

1) Trader Joe's (great cheeses, breads, and a lot of other things)
2) Vallarta Markets (fresh meats, good cerviche, fresh salsas)
3) Seafood City (the one in Panorama City -- always has really fresh seafood)
4) Golden Farms (Glendale -- fresh, cheap produce; Armenian/Russian foods)
5) Koreatown Galleria (carries every Korean item you can imagine plus has a good seafood section)

What are your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
Trader Joe's - hands down.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 PM

37 posts, read 393,518 times
Trader Joe's for sure. Whole Foods is pretty good.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:01 PM

61 posts, read 579,386 times
Gelson's and Bristol Farms, of course! XD

Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 71,997 times
Although I don't deliberately go shopping for organic or natural foods, Henry's is a pretty cool store!!! They just recently put one in Rancho Cucamonga but they have em in lots of places in CA and AZ.

And despite higher prices, I love the small markets with personal service (and much better meat) - ours is a Jensen's. And when I go broke - it's back to Stater's for me .

Old 08-30-2006, 02:05 PM

436 posts, read 681,598 times
Trader Joe's. Shop elsewhere for your produce. TJ's has some produce, but you can do better. Shopping at TJ's makes the Albrecht family richer all the time. They are already on the top list of world's richest people. Forget buying stock as an investor - they're a privately held company. I'll keep giving TJ's my money though, it's that good. Perhaps Tesco will give them a run for the money if they ever get their US operations up and running.

These days it's all about the very rich, not the rest of us poor schlubs. Thank goodness we have the corporate lobbyists to help us out. Right? Our elected officials wouldn't dream of giving more breaks to the super rich, that would be unethical - wouldn't it?

Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 50,867 times
Trader Joe's is the best deal in town, with low prices and pretty good food.

If you're totally anti-preservative, though, Whole Foods (or your local Farmer's Market) is the way to go. I often found that by shopping the sales, I could get better deals -- and better food -- at Whole Foods than at the "regular" supermarkets in L.A. And, as a bonus, they're not tracking your purchases via a club card (if you care about that sort of thing).

Old 08-30-2006, 02:13 PM

215 posts, read 976,691 times
Default Tesco's

I thought Tesco's will be more like a 7-Eleven? That would be great if they market it more up scale and if they carry some yummy British favorites!

Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
I've found that a lot of the big ethnic supermarkets have fabulous produce at really cheap prices. A lot of them buy downtown at the produce market everyday so they always have some great buys.

That was why I put Golden Farms (which also has a store named Gefer's -- same owners) on the list. Also, there is a Korean market near 8th street and Western named Assi Plaza (?). They have a huge selection and exceptionally good pricing. We're talking cherries for 99 cents a pound when everyone else was selling them for around $3 a pound.

I rarely buy produce at the major grocery stores anymore. It's just too expensive and half the time it isn't as fresh as the other places. Americans tend to eat a lot of canned and frozen fruits and vegetables. It seems like people from other countries shop more frequently and use fresh ingrediants more. There are lots of big ethic supermarkets throughout the LA region and quite a few of them are worth at least checking out.

I like the foods Whole Foods carries but I think they are expensive to shop in.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:46 PM

436 posts, read 681,598 times
When I was last in England (2003) I did get that impression about Tesco aguamarina4u, but then I read a piece in the NYT this year about an expanded Tesco possibly coming to the US. Will it ever really happen? Who knows. You can get some of the English condiments and candy at Cost Plus Worldmarkets. Does anyone remember the "Gourmet Garage" stores in NYC? They were kinda like a small TJ's with some of the same items. My favorite small grocery in NYC was Agata & Valentino (back in 1999-2001). I'm such a sucker for Italian foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California