Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Who can recommend me an adult fantasy book. By adult i dont mean sexual(althought I dont mind lol)
i mean blood guts and gore, dark, sinister etc.

Looking for something epic, not just one book and done.
Just two to start you off. Each of these trilogies have follow-up books, so if you really get into them, check the author's website for those titles. Gore, blood and guts to delight any dark and sinister soul.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy: The Blade Itself, Before They are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series: Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War, The Power that Preserves.

Donaldson also wrote the Gap series, which I was totally repulsed by and could not put down. I think it was the first time I couldn't find one character in the series to cheer on, or even like. Dark, oh yeah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM

349 posts, read 616,123 times
Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm kinda sad there's not alot of Dan Simmons on this list that seems to span several years!

My personal favorites are Dune (ok, the entire Dune universe) by Frank Herbert and Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

531 posts, read 501,384 times
Michael Moorcock, Elric series

Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
The two authors I am most familar with are Clarke and Asimov and are the only ones I could call my "favorites". I've read lots of other books but couldn't tell you one author from another, usually.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Has anyone read the looking glass wars? Not the spy bio, but the alice in wonderland series.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
A couple years ago I became absolutely *enthralled* with George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Ice and Fire series. The depth, the imagery, the world-building, the characters are all so vividly painted.
I hope it does not take too much longer for his next installment.
Love George R R Martin's series! I "found" him by watching A Game of Thrones on HBO, and had to go get the books. Awesome reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. H View Post
I just started reading the Dragonlance books and love them...I am definitely going to collect the entire series.
I was wondering when any of you guys would get around to my fav fantasy authors!

I love Margaret and Tracy's works, and Raistlin and Tasslehoff are my two fav characters.

After the Dragonlance series, try Dragonvarld then the Dragonship series', they are pretty good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Yeah no doubt, to bad Hollywood can't quite get his stuff right
on the big screen. ( like they did with King's " The Green Mile " )

....love Koontz's take on Frankenstein.
Koontz Frankenstein is probably one of the best, dare I say better than Shellys? Yes, I will say it, I think his is better!

Also like the Odd Thomas series by Koontz as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Aw, come on now...how can you possibly lump fantasy and SF together? Personally I hate having to sort through the fantasy drivel in my local bookstore in order to find the SF gems...
Flip that for me! I don't like reading about silly space bugs or killer rogue robots, give me dragons and elves all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Who can recommend me an adult fantasy book. By adult i dont mean sexual(althought I dont mind lol)
i mean blood guts and gore, dark, sinister etc.

Looking for something epic, not just one book and done.
Personally, I really really liked the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's his best work of all time, hands down.

My fantasy favs include:

Margaret Weis
Tracy Hickman
Terry Brooks
J R R Tolkein
H P Lovecraft
George R R Martin

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM

495 posts, read 684,433 times
My favorite author is Allen Dean Foster, Love the pip and flinx books and I adore Nor Crystal Tears.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM

78 posts, read 330,375 times
I have been enjoying the safehold series by Weber. There is currently 5 in the series

Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM

475 posts, read 648,488 times
Being a huge Star Trek and Star Wars fan my favorite SciFi authors are:

David Mack (His vanguard series is brilliant!)
Peter David (Very versatile)
Timothy Zahn (legitimizes the Star Wars Universe)

Though I like many others these are my top three.

Oh and I have read Bradbury (gag me), Orson Scott card (enjoyed Ender's game but not enough to read the rest), Heinlein (excellent author, though "hit and miss" for me) and Edgar Rice Burroughs (read all his John carter of Mars and Tarzan Books, and in my opinion he is the "Father" of current day Science Fiction. I actually enjoyed his Tarzan books better than his John Carter books and think it is a crime what Hollywood did to Tarzan).

Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Thanks to everyone. I have of course read game of thrones(all of them), the Tolkein books, Dark tower etc. I was reading the above posts and I remember reading a few dragonlance books and enjoying them. I think I might go back and read some more of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books