Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Kristine Kathryn Rusch

We've read all but one of her Retrieval Artist novels and loved them. Started with Paloma then skipped back to the beginning.

She is an excellent writer. Highly recommended.

Here is her bibliography:

Rusch - Bibliography (http://www.kristinekathrynrusch.com/bibliography.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Bringing up this thread again as I am trying to remember the author and title of a book I would classify "fantasy" and not science fiction. A modern writer. The book starts out in a mammoth library, and the protaganist's family owns a bookstore; the book(s) held some mystery and magic, and danger.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Nope, sorry I can't help ya.

To me magic is just science unexplained and since I'm not well versed in technology I believe that fantasy and SF are the same.
They are both works of fiction anyway.
And I also never could determine if Mary Shelly's Frankenstein was fantasy or SF.
Quote:
I have titled this "The Birth of a Monster" because Frankenstein can be read as a tale of what happens when a man tries to create a child without a woman. It can, however, also be read as an account of a woman's anxieties and insecurities about her own creative and reproductive capabilities. The story of Frankenstein is the first articulation of a woman's experience of pregnancy and related fears. Mary Shelley, in the development and education of the monster, discusses child development and education and how the nurturing of a loving parent is extremely important in the moral development of an individual. Thus, in Frankenstein, Mary Shelley examines her own fears and thoughts about pregnancy, childbirth, and child development.

While creating his child, Victor never considered whether this creature would even want to exist. He also didn't take enough care with the creature's appearance. He could not take the time to make small parts so he created a being of gigantic size. Victor never considered how such a creature would be able to exist with human beings. He did not take time with the features either and created a being with a horrifying appearance. Unable to accept his creation, Victor abandons his "child" and all parental responsibility. He even wishes that his "child" were dead.
Source: The "Birth" of a Monster

Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Well, Tricky D, troublemaker personified, after speading an hour here and an hour there, checking all the new-fangled descriptors for literature from: magical realism, fantasy, science fiction, literature, novels, and sub-categories within those, I haven't found the book I am trying to remember.

So, I am not the personal to proclaim the definer for Frankenstein book.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I wasn't expecting an answer, I was just making conversation.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM

I finally found the name of the two books that I would classify fantasy and forgot the title and author.

Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a mystery fantasy, that may fall into good literature.

And, Charles de Lindt, an author who was introduced to me by a friend, who has written scads of short stories, novels and chapbooks. He, too wrote about a book within a book in "The Little Country."

Now I can sleep until I forget another title and/or author!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Bringing up this thread again as I am trying to remember the author and title of a book I would classify "fantasy" and not science fiction. A modern writer. The book starts out in a mammoth library, and the protaganist's family owns a bookstore; the book(s) held some mystery and magic, and danger.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I finally found the name of the two books that I would classify fantasy and forgot the title and author.

Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a mystery fantasy, that may fall into good literature.

And, Charles de Lindt, an author who was introduced to me by a friend, who has written scads of short stories, novels and chapbooks. He, too wrote about a book within a book in "The Little Country."

Now I can sleep until I forget another title and/or author!
Charles deLint has written scads of books, blending magic, faerie, NA shamanism, and Celtic mythology. IMO, he's the best of the urban fantasists, and my favorite is Dreams Underfoot.

James Schmitz wrote about a lot more than The Witches of Karres, and there's actually a new one coming [or already came] out by Mercedes Lackey and Eric Flint, I think.

Another favorite is the Mars trilogy, Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars, and I canNOT remember the name of the writer! Maybe Greg Bear, but I don't know.

Other all-time favorites: Sterling Lanier's post-apocolyptic stories about Per Heiro Desteen, The Unforsaken Hiero and Hiero's Journey. It takes place about 3,000 years in the future, and there are actually a few places from the before-the-disaster time that are vaguely recognizable, for instance, Neean is what's left of Indianapolis.

A.E. van Vogt's Slan. I think she was the first woman to write sci/fi, followed closely by Zenna Henderson's The People stories.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM

karibear, thanks for all your additions.

Just about finished unpacking and re-discovered one of my favourite 21st century female science fiction writers: Joan Slonczewski. Dr. Slonczewski brings her science training into the realm of fantasy. She won the Campbell award for "A Door into Ocean."

I was so taken with Dr. Slonczewski's work I phoned her and bought her out of print books from her directly (a fellow scientist who writes can't be ignored ).

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

Those are just a few of my faves. Don't want to overwhelm y'all.
Anyone else out there enjoy fantasy or science fiction?
Aw, come on now...how can you possibly lump fantasy and SF together? Personally I hate having to sort through the fantasy drivel in my local bookstore in order to find the SF gems...

Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Aw, come on now...how can you possibly lump fantasy and SF together? Personally I hate having to sort through the fantasy drivel in my local bookstore in order to find the SF gems...
But some sci/fi is fantasy. Sci/fi is not all hard tech. I remember one, but not the title or author, that took place in the far away future on some highly technological worlds. The 'hero' was assisted in tracking down bad guys by a small group of Native American shamans, who would appear out of the sky in a spirit canoe, which they paddled through time and space. Not exactly just spirit, either, because at times he'd get in it physically and they would take him to whichever world he needed to go to, through both time and space, so he would arrive before whatever ships the bad guys were using. It was fascinating. And there's also the Petaybee series by McCaffrey and Scarborough, or don't you consider them sci/fi stories? Or the Darkover books?

What do you consider gems of sci/fi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books