Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,841 times

Advertisements

I don't like Sci Fi, but I LOVE fantasy. My favorite authors in that genre are: Mercedes Lackey (but only her Valdemar ones, not her elf ones), Raymond Feist (although I think that after 20+ years, I'm finally getting tired of his Magician series, not sure yet though), J.K. Rowling, Michael Scott, Rick Riordan, and Angie Sage.

One of my favorite series is an old one. I don't know if anyone here has ever read it - Children of Morrow and it's sequel, Treasures of Morrow.

My first fantasy series (long ago and far away) was a great one for young readers - Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:34 AM

27 posts, read 62,262 times
Have any of you George RR Martin fans heard this song by the Sword? To Take the black.

YouTube - The Sword - To Take the Black (Studio Version)

To Take The Black

Cast out from the lands of their births
Banished from hearth and home
All brothers must swear the oath
Forsaking all they've ever known

Those who choose to take the black
Bid farewell to comforts great and small
Those who do, don't come back
Prepare yourself for life on the wall

Night gathers and the watch begins
The wind carries an unnatural chill
There are things beyond the northern borders
Mere steel can't kill

Men who choose to take the black
Rogues and rangers, one and all
Those who do, won't come back
Prepare yourself for life on the wall

Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM

66 posts, read 321,121 times
I love sci-fi fantasy books. I wish Martin would get off his butt and finish his next book..lol
I just finished a really good sci-fi fantasy book from an unknown author named Heath Strickland. Its called "Bastard of Baator".
It had a pretty interesting looking cover so I decided to pick it up.
I'm going to check out some of these authors that some of you have mentioned. Never heard of a few of them.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerd View Post
I wish Martin would get off his butt and finish his next book..lol
seriously! It's hard to hate him and I don't want him to rush it, but I've been dying here waiting to see when Dance of Dragons might be finished. I remember seeing it available for pre-orders on Amazon over the fall, and I was going to pre-order it, but I guess it was a false alarm and the page got taken down

I'm now hearing fall of '09. i may have to skim over Feast of Crows to familiarize myself w/ fine details of the plot; it's been almost a year since I put it down

Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I'm now hearing fall of '09. i may have to skim over Feast of Crows to familiarize myself w/ fine details of the plot; it's been almost a year since I put it down
It's been longer than that for me (for Feast).
I think maybe this spring I will go through the entire series all over again.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It's been longer than that for me (for Feast).
I think maybe this spring I will go through the entire series all over again.
I picked up the first book right around last Xmas (I'd been avoid the series b/c I'd heard there wasn't a lot of magic in it, and I was very much into magic back then), and got immediately hooked and finished the whole series by April. I have a slight advantage over some fans b/c I came into the series very late (some poor souls have been waiting years for this new book!). honestly, this is why I'm not touching the Wheel of Time series until I get a publication date of the last book. it sucks to wait so long between books

Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I picked up the first book right around last Xmas (I'd been avoid the series b/c I'd heard there wasn't a lot of magic in it, and I was very much into magic back then), and got immediately hooked and finished the whole series by April. I have a slight advantage over some fans b/c I came into the series very late (some poor souls have been waiting years for this new book!).
I'm beginning to doubt that Martin is ever going to finish it. If it's taken him him two years to finish a book that he keeps saying is "almost done," that tells me he's having a lot of trouble.

I hope I'm wrong. I loved books 1 and 3 a lot and liked 2. I've decided to continue with the series until they're all out though. This waiting five years between books is for the birds.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
David Weber
Eric Flint
Asimov, the robot stories and Foundation series
Robert Asprin, the Myth series and the Phule series
Brian Jacques, Redwall series
Heinlein, the future history series, and Lazarus Long
Paolini
McCaffrey, of course
Bujold
E.E. "Doc" Smith, Lensman series (I need to find them again, to re-read!)

Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
Harry Turtledove Writes Some Great Alternate History Books!
His Videssos series was a fun read, too.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Who can recommend me an adult fantasy book. By adult i dont mean sexual(althought I dont mind lol)
i mean blood guts and gore, dark, sinister etc.

Looking for something epic, not just one book and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books