Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived by Ralph Helfer
Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived: Ralph Helfer: 9780060929510: Amazon.com: Books

The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, The Horse That Inspired a Nation by Elizabeth Letts
http://www.amazon.com/Eighty-Dollar-...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-28-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Dean Koontz is a big fan of Goldens and has written several books about his dog Trixie and a novel called The Darkest Evening of the Year and it's really good.

I'd also add The Bloodhound series by Virginia Lanier, the author is dead and some are hard to find in print anymore.

I'd also add the Eragon Series by Christopher Paolini might be considered a YA but the series is very good about a boy and his dragon.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
The Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster

The main character is human, but he's pulled into a fantasy world populated by intelligent talking animals.

Mudge the Otter is a hoot.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
There's also a lot of stuff about the cat's owner and book author in here, but Homer's Odyssey is a very inspiring story about a blind and awesome cat.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
I came here to see if I could find any new ideas for books to reads and unfortunately I have read all of these suggestions, plus I have some more to add to your list;
There is a series of stories commonly referred to by those of us who love the works of this author as the 'cat who series'- These books are authored by the late Lillian Jackson Braun. She wrote wrote 30 books about the adventures of Koko, YumYum, and Jim Qwilleran as well as the other residents of *****x. Each story is timeless and engaging and draws you into the small town of *****x, and the mystery as it unfolds.
The following books are mysteries that have animals in them, they are animal lovers who include the animals in solving the crime.All of these books are for adults unless otherwise noted.
-Laura Morrigan- " Woof at the Door", and "A Tiger's Tale"- Grace Wilde is an animal behaviorist, who is able to psychically communicate with furry and feathered critters.
-Claire Donally- "The Big Kitty", "Cat Nap", "Last Licks"- Sunny Coolidge is a former New York City newspaper reporter, now living in Maine with her cat Shadow.
-Melissa Cleary- has 11 different titles (these are older books, 1990's)
-Susan Conant- she has 18 books, written about her show dogs Kimi, and Rowdy. She also has 5 books she has co-written with her daughter that are also mysteries that are set in restaurants and include recipes in them.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I thought that I'd already commented on this thread and I was actually looking for my own post so that I could remind *myself* the title of this book. Oh geez, it's hard being 49. I can't remember book titles... and the post that I thought that I'd written long, long ago isn't here. Because I forgot to write it! (Senility is going to be *such* a smooth transition for me. I can't wait!)

I loved this book.

The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle

The God of Animals: A Novel - Kindle edition by Aryn Kyle. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Just finished a cozy mystery with the dog show circuit theme.Standard Poodles and an adorable Dachshund puppy. Hot Dog (A Melanie Travis Mystery) by Laurien Berenson

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Dog-Melani...5450290&sr=1-6

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindygshep View Post
I came here to see if I could find any new ideas for books to reads and unfortunately I have read all of these suggestions, plus I have some more to add to your list;
There is a series of stories commonly referred to by those of us who love the works of this author as the 'cat who series'- These books are authored by the late Lillian Jackson Braun. She wrote wrote 30 books about the adventures of Koko, YumYum, and Jim Qwilleran as well as the other residents of *****x. Each story is timeless and engaging and draws you into the small town of *****x, and the mystery as it unfolds.
Wonder why the C-D software doesn't like P-i-c-k-a-x ?

(Good books )

Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Default Bugs!

The Bees is a magnificent new book by Laline Paull and E.O. Wilson wrote Trailhead, published in The New Yorker, a haunting short story about ants that you will remember for a long time. Highly recommended.

E. O. Wilson: Trailhead : The New Yorker

Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
There is another book I have just finished that is good;
'Suspect' By Robert Crais

I am a pretty fast reader on most accounts, usually finishing a book in a couple of days. This one I started in the morning and finished that night. I picked it up to read every chance I got.

Also Rita Mae Brown has a new book out -'Nine Lives to Die' ( A Mrs. Murphy Mystery)
She will also have a new Book out ( Nov,04, 2014)- 'Let Sleeping Dogs Lie: A Novel' (This is one her Sister Jane mysteries)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books