Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times

Advertisements

This article was in today's Houston Chronicle. I don't know about you but it really bummed me out to realize how few people are actually readers. Reading is one of the joys of my life and I just can't imagine that there are people who choose NOT to read.

Aug. 22, 2007, 12:16AM
1 in 4 adults read no books last year, poll finds
Findings indicate seniors and women were the most avid readers

By ALAN FRAM
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — There it sits on your night stand, that book you've meant to read for who knows how long but haven't yet cracked open. Tonight, as you feel its stare from beneath that teetering pile of magazines, know one thing — you are not alone.

One in four adults say they read no books at all in the past year, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll released Tuesday. Of those who did read, women and seniors were most avid, and religious works and popular fiction were the top choices.

Moderator cut: please post link, copyright laws

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-11-2007 at 03:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,945 times
I personally do not think that it is because"we choose not to read"
I think due to the heavy schedules of raising children, working to"stay alive" in America - the average person just does not seem to have the time to sit and enjoy a good book - I have 2 on my nightstand and look at them everyday -and I love to read - but life is so fast and consuming - where do you find those few minutes of quietness...

Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times
I'm not sure that I entirely agree. I think that reading has been replaced by television, computers and all the other personal electronics. My husband and I are both readers and we raised a reader (she'd rather read than sleep). I never leave the house without the book I'm reading in case I find myself with a few idle minutes. It comes to work with me each day and because I "eat in" rather than going out, I have a full hour to devote to my book. I manage to get in a few pages before falling asleep each night and whenever I have a doctor/dentist appointment I know I'll be kept waiting in the waiting room. Most people just do like you do, keep it in one spot and hope for some time. Your books have to be like an American Express card - you can't leave home without it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
As an avid reader I find this troubling. It seems like people hardly go to the public library to check out books anymore. Now they just go straight to the computers (yeah I know they are technically reading but it's not the same) or video section. I'm like you Redrover, I'm never without a book just in case I have some idle time. IMO there is really no excuse to not read at least one book in a year.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM

311 posts, read 1,377,086 times
I have been an avid reader ever since I learned to read and have to exercise some restraint at booksales if I don't want to fill up my car. One time I heard someone say that she does not like to read because you don't learn anything! Ironically, she was in a bookstore at the time. I was stunned. The thousands of books I have read have been an incredible learning experience.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
I find it sad but hardly shocking as nowadays most leisure activity seems to involve audio-visual stimulation or shopping... I too love to read and in fact cannot even imagine one day without a book . I find it terribly depressing that we are becoming less literate as a society and I still cannot fathom why anyone would find reading boring ( as many people do ) when it opens a new world , excites the imagination and fires up dreams. It is such a wonderful means of escapism and I am always stunned when I visit people who don't own books ( and I have met many). How can anybody exist without the joys of literature ?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM

145 posts, read 519,466 times
I believe that more people are reading today than cited by the article. Today parents read to their children nightly, while not the classic tomes for adults, families are sharing 'reading' as an activity. An example for the resurgence in readers is the Harry Potter series. These stories are a huge domestic and international phenomenon. Readers, mostly young to preteen with some adult following, hungrily devour the series and enjoy comparing the movie versions to the books.
The majority of the readers out there, in my opinion, read for pleasure rather than advancing their knowledge in world politics, economics, the sciences or history. So many are not as informed about core historical facts, or have read the recognized classics of the past, as our counterparts forty years ago. It would be sad if true.
I admit that the books I read have mostly honed my detective skills and vivid imagination! Most evenings I read before falling asleep and my loving husband turns off my light when alerted by the thud of my booking falling to the floor! My family often trades shopping bags filled with paperbacks when we get together and I look forward to reading what others found interesting enough to share. Our nine year old daughter reads at bedtime too.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
Agree with PP's. I am never without a book. At work, I always read either newspaper or book at lunchtime sometimes at the library.
Neil Conan, NPR, led with this statistic today. Conan pointed out perhaps one reason for the low number could be people are now listening to audio books instead of reading. The hour was devoted to this topic. One participant made the point that some books are more enjoyable on audio, depending on the reader's voice; i.e., The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, even Harry Potter.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,803 times
I LOVE to read- always have, always will. I agree that the internet - in large part - does NOT count (LOL) as far as reading goes. It takes critical thinking, imagination, etc when it comes to reading your favorite novel (mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, etc). I have to read alot of textbooks for gradschool but it will never rob me of my recreational reading time. Sometimes your brain needs a break, an escape. You would think picking up another book is the last thing I would do but it's different....

Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Well they can classify me as one of those 4 because I rarely read (books). I read music, maps, magazines, news articles, floor plans, but not books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books