Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 06:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,303,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
In Rev Birmingham 2021 State of Downtown report, two new green parks are in the works.
One is in the Civil Rights District and the other one is the empty block across from Top Golf and the stadium on 24th st. N.
damn. hope the one across from the stadium / top golf is not a permanent solution. does the city own it? that really needs to be hotel / entertainment / parking. yes a park is better than an empty lot, but i don't see the need with CityWalk BHM just steps away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 09:34 PM

Forever Wild votes to acquire 1,611 acre addition to Oak Mountain State Park

Old 08-05-2021, 10:00 PM

346 posts, read 273,147 times
It is wild how much EBSCO owns. They gotta be the biggest under the radar company in town.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:15 AM

2,139 posts, read 2,241,714 times
Infrastructure bill promotion...

https://birminghamwatch.org/hud-secr...nfrastructure/

Old 08-16-2021, 09:13 AM

https://alabamanewscenter.com/2021/0...chool-program/

https://alabamanewscenter.com/2021/0...eir-community/

Old 08-17-2021, 12:02 PM

Mark Cuban AI bootcamp...

https://yellowhammernews.com/birming...rved-students/

Old 08-18-2021, 03:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,361,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
It is wild how much EBSCO owns. They gotta be the biggest under the radar company in town.

Five years ago they were listed as the 66th richest family in the nation, for what it is worth.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:17 PM

National Park Service awards $500,000 grant to Sixteenth Street Baptist Church

A historic Birmingham church is receiving grant funding for a renovation project.

National Park Service awarded a $500,000 grant to Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, which the entity will use for restoration of its historic parsonage.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:43 AM

Bridge + Root

https://www.birminghamtimes.com/2021...an-experience/

Old 08-20-2021, 02:11 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...dditional.html

Additional rail service is one step closer to arriving in Birmingham with a bill currently in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The U.S. Senate recently passed the infrastructure bill, which authorizes $1 trillion in new spending for roads, bridges, broadband, electric, water and rail infrastructure, including $66 billion for passenger rail programs, projects and operations across the nation.

While the bill could still be derailed in the House, the Southern Rail Commission said it anticipates the ultimate passage of the bill.

Knox Ross, Mississippi commissioner for the SRC, said this bill will allow for unprecedented expansion and development of passenger rail services in the South, especially Alabama, which he said has many opportunities for connections through the city of Birmingham.

“I think the future of the Southeast is around Charlotte, Atlanta and Birmingham – tying all of those cities together. I think that’s what the business future looks like,” Ross said. “From a Birmingham-centric standpoint, I would want to marry myself to Atlanta just as fast as I could.”

Amtrak has proposed a plan to increase rail service to 47 of the top 50 metros, including Birmingham, connecting 160 communities throughout the country by building new or improving rail corridors in over 25 states.

The plan includes the potential for one or more additional trains each day between Birmingham and Atlanta on to Charlotte.

“You already have one train a day between Birmingham and Atlanta. We’re saying there needs to be more than one,” said Marc Magliari, an Amtrak spokesperson.

Ross said that could look like laying new tracks, using existing tracks or a combination of both. He said studies by the Federal Railroad Administration show that existing tracks are overrun by freight, and the geography they are located in is not conducive to high speed with a semi-mountainous area and many curves along the route.

“That has always been a little out of reach money-wise, but I think now maybe it’s not,” he said. “I’m not saying this is coming tomorrow, but with the amount of money that’s being proffered, those types of things become more realistic.”

Ross said additional routes have been proposed as well like Birmingham to Mobile and Montgomery, Birmingham to Nashville or Chattanooga or Montgomery to Atlanta.

But he said Birmingham to Atlanta is the obvious – albeit most expensive – connection.

He said connecting the cities, which could be done over the next five to 10 years if this bill passes, will make Birmingham more livable and more attractive to new businesses and new residents.

“I think that moves Birmingham up a notch in its ability to compete,” Ross said. “I think as far as traditional passenger rail goes, Alabama has a lot of opportunities that could come from this bill, and it’s just really the will of people if they want to try and do it or not.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area