Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have a source link for this FBI advice? I'm interested to take a look.

That just seems like that would be odd for the FBI advice to arm yourself.

I'd think the US having one of the highest firearm murder rates in the world would have the FBI being cautious on that.

Did you know that of industrialized nations, the US is #2 in rate of gun deaths. Only Mexico beats us. Yay us.

This is not a pretty story:

[URL="http://www.businessinsider.com/shooting-gun-laws-2012-12"]America's Gun Problem In One Chart - Business Insider[/URL]
It is not advice, per se, it is statistical info from the Uniform Crime Report.

Did you know that the murder rate committed by White Americans is almost smack in the middle of the European countries. Higher than some, lower than others. It is interesting that you should single out gun-deaths as if other deaths don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Well, it's easy to single out since it is so off the charts in the US. Mexico # 1, US # 2 - then a massive drop off in gun related deaths in the industrialized world. Who cares about the white murder rate in the US versus Europe, it isn't a reach that whites in the US will be a minority soon.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I have to be careful in how I phrase my words as the forum masters do not like things too controversial...
Having said that, I wish to say that instead of taking the guns away from the law abiding citizens, the government would do better by removing from "the scene" the twisted criminals who break into people's cars, homes, property.

To make clearer - eliminate the twisted criminals. Not confiscature of firearms.
No matter what state we are talking about, I never heard anyone in Washington say we should take away hand guns or shotguns from responsible citizens. Never. Not once. Any discussion about the law has been focused on high power assault weapons and 30 to 100 round magazines. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting here, but it drives me crazy when I read comments like this. I'm sure a 9mm Glock will do an efficient job killing a burglar.

Peace. Merry Christmas to all. Prayers for those who are suffering.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Well, it's easy to single out since it is so off the charts in the US. Mexico # 1, US # 2 - then a massive drop off in gun related deaths in the industrialized world. Who cares about the white murder rate in the US versus Europe, it isn't a reach that whites in the US will be a minority soon.
Possibly, but it is excellent news for Hawaii because of its favorable demographics. This demographic, not infringement of constitutional rights, is what is responsible for the enviable murder rate (including home invasion) for Hawaii.

That is why we are considering Hawaii, possbly the BI, perhaps Volcano, for our retirement "cottage". Idaho, a state with a high representation of ex-LEOs transplanted retirees, is just too cold for me.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
OK, I'll take the bait ("since no one answered ... no one knows"]. Home invasions are not a common problem in Hawaii. They do occasionally occur, but they are not on the forefront of Hawaii crime problems. Crime happens in Hawaii, just like it does in other states. We are not unique ... we do not claim to be "crime free". But for the average resident, worrying about a "home evasion" is not even on our radar.

Meanwhile, one of the cases in the OP has a new development: "It appears that a plea deal has been made in the case of a 20-year-old Hawaiian Paradise Park man who allegedly invaded a neighbor’s home and brutally attacked and burglarized her a little more than a year ago." It seems that assault could have happened anywhere in the U.S., to whoever had the unfortunate luck of living nearby to where that man was living at the time.
THANKS. I was looking for information, not rhetoric. Tried to rep you.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Well, it's easy to single out since it is so off the charts in the US. Mexico # 1, US # 2 - t
Mexico number one in gun related homicides. Very interesting because gun laws are intense in Mexico. Effectively only police, military, and body guards are allowed to legally have guns. Hunters and competition shooters can obtain licenses with a degree of difficulty and are not allowed to have their guns out and about. Penalties are severe.

I'm sorry. What were we talking about? Oh yeah. Pass some laws against owning guns so we can all be safe.

Hawaii doesn't seem to have a gun culture. Paniolos aren't like Texas cowboys with hostiles and rattlesnakes to shoot. If Hawaiian kids are growing up playing cowboy, it is a different type of cowboy. Traditionally, hunting is often done with dogs and a knife. Wars were fought with clubs. There is at least some remnants of a culture of respect for other people. I think that culture is eroding but it still has some force.

Who your neighbors are is what makes you safe or unsafe. It really doesn't have much to do with who has guns and who doesn't. If your next door neighbor in Hawaii isn't the type to shoot you, he isn't going to shoot you even if he owns a gun. If your next door neighbor is a psycho killer, then you aren't safe even if he doesn't own a gun because he can always find a different way to hurt you.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mexico number one in gun related homicides. Very interesting because gun laws are intense in Mexico. Effectively only police, military, and body guards are allowed to legally have guns. Hunters and competition shooters can obtain licenses with a degree of difficulty and are not allowed to have their guns out and about. Penalties are severe.

I'm sorry. What were we talking about? Oh yeah. Pass some laws against owning guns so we can all be safe.

Hawaii doesn't seem to have a gun culture. Paniolos aren't like Texas cowboys with hostiles and rattlesnakes to shoot. If Hawaiian kids are growing up playing cowboy, it is a different type of cowboy. Traditionally, hunting is often done with dogs and a knife. Wars were fought with clubs. There is at least some remnants of a culture of respect for other people. I think that culture is eroding but it still has some force.

Who your neighbors are is what makes you safe or unsafe. It really doesn't have much to do with who has guns and who doesn't. If your next door neighbor in Hawaii isn't the type to shoot you, he isn't going to shoot you even if he owns a gun. If your next door neighbor is a psycho killer, then you aren't safe even if he doesn't own a gun because he can always find a different way to hurt you.
Well said.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
The thing is that you can never tell who is "the type" that will shoot you. For example, most of the people who pulled off these mass-shootings were your "boy next door types" with no publicly-known violent tendencies.

Whether you live in the most dangerous area of Chicago or a so-called "good neighborhood" (as delusional people like to put it), the best indicator as to whether somebody will shoot you or not is the kind of relationship you have with them. If they have no problem with you then you won't be shot (unless your dealing with one of those mass-murder types).

Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Overwelmingly, the enviable murder and violent crime rates in Hawaii are due, and this is not particularly PC, to demographics, just like in Idaho, Iowa, Utah etc. The groups that commit those crimes at greatly accellerated rates, are conspiccuoulsly absent in those areas, and conspicuously present in the areas with high crime rates.

It's not PC, but it is fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Hawaii's approach has really no impact. Criminals, by their nature, are, well, criminals. They don't even KNOW the law, much less CARE about it, or have any intention to OBEY it.

Facts are stubborn things, even the ones that are less-than-PC.

Gun Culture and high crime are not connected, except in an inverse way, i.e. places with prevelant private gun ownership by non-criminals (including CCW issuances) resulting from less-strident gun laws, have lower crime rates.

The issue isn't really in quesiton, it is a well-settled issue - except as a political football. FBI stats prove it, studies by crminologists, such are Gary Keck, prove it.

Economics is a much better indicator of violent crime levels than race. I think it's *ridiculous just to throw out race stats like that while ignoring the different variables that obviously contribute to violent crime levels in an area.

You can post whatever "facts" you want and blindly believe in them without analyzing them through but the reality and common-sense of the matter is that if your a Doctor, Teacher, Accountant, Lawyer, CEO, Manager, Engineer, Architect, Scientist, etc, then it will be very rare to go around shooting people up.

An example of this is:

Ladera Heights, CA: This is an upper middle class area that is predominately black. This area is safer and has a much lower violent crime rate than these predominately white areas:
- South El Monte
- Mission Hills
- Lomita
- Del-Aire
- East Pasadena
- Carthay
- Venice
- Walnut Park
....and many more

Here's my source- Violent Crime Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-28-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I think it's [deleted]

There goes the credibility of the entire post. Hawaii has its fair share of nasty biases and prejudices, but you've hit upon using one that you'll be called out for here.

Edit: the word was changed, thank you LIP.

Last edited by CyberCity; 12-28-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island