Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times

Advertisements

There's been a spate of home invasions on the Big Island. The commonality is that the crimes have been violent, the perpetrators have been either in their teens or early 20s, and the victims have been senior citizens. Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of a trend...
Elderly Puna woman hospitalized after violent home invasion | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader
Hawaii island police seeking suspect who used stolen credit card - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I hate to read this. I know crime happens everywhere but it just doesn't seem right to happen in that beautiful place <s> I don't know what the crime stats are for you area but i hope this is not a trend. I felt so sorry for that poor woman.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
G'morning!

An armed society is a polite society, so they say, and I'm inclined to agree - and I'm a pacifist. Still, deterrence is an effective tool and I doubt that these cowards would want to risk their lives for... whatever motivates them to be predatory.

I wouldn't kill another human being (I hope, I pray,) for any reason, but the 'bad guys' out there don't know that, and when dealing with violent people it's always best to make 'em think that you're crazier than they are. I learned that years ago from a close family member who was an undercover policeman, and unfortunately it's true. Sigh....

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM

406 posts, read 865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning!

An armed society is a polite society, so they say, and I'm inclined to agree - and I'm a pacifist. Still, deterrence is an effective tool and I doubt that these cowards would want to risk their lives for... whatever motivates them to be predatory.

I wouldn't kill another human being (I hope, I pray,) for any reason, but the 'bad guys' out there don't know that, and when dealing with violent people it's always best to make 'em think that you're crazier than they are. I learned that years ago from a close family member who was an undercover policeman, and unfortunately it's true. Sigh....

Shalom,

Mahrie.
I agree. Everyone should check the Castle Law in Hawaii - see Hawaii Gun Laws: Hawaii gets Castle Doctrine. Yes, Hawaii. | Pointed In Press, LLC , Archived Measure Status , and Archived Measure Status so they know their rights as sometimes the police officers don't.

Mickey

Old 10-25-2011, 09:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
I got a better idea ... he's big and brown and furry and stinky ... f*rts a fair amount ... demands love, craves his belly rubbed, ears scratched ... and is a great weight loss coach complete with the finest piece of exercise equipment ever: a leash. He is also, bar none, flat out, the finest conversationalist I have ever had the pleasure of discussing the finer philosophies of life with

Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I hate to read this. I know crime happens everywhere but it just doesn't seem right to happen in that beautiful place <s> I don't know what the crime stats are for you area but i hope this is not a trend. I felt so sorry for that poor woman.
Although many parts of Hawai'i are incredibly beautiful, it belies the fact that humans are sometimes cruel and vicious towards each other. What's somewhat alarming about the recent spate of crimes on the Big Island is that the young are preying upon the elderly. As a society, Hawai'i is failing many of its youth. Simple Hawaiian values, such as "aloha", "ha'aha'a" (humility), "hō'ihi" (respect), "mālama" (caring), and "lōkahi" (unity) aren't being taught to many young people in Hawai'i today. Unfortunately, some are now adopting "ainokea" as an attitude and value to base their lives upon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I got a better idea ... he's big and brown and furry and stinky ... f*rts a fair amount ... demands love, craves his belly rubbed, ears scratched ... and is a great weight loss coach complete with the finest piece of exercise equipment ever: a leash. He is also, bar none, flat out, the finest conversationalist I have ever had the pleasure of discussing the finer philosophies of life with
The 69 year-old woman that was attacked in HPP had a dog that was pretty much worthless in terms of providing any protection...
Woman faced 'fight of her life' | Hawaii Tribune Herald

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
... The 69 year-old woman that was attacked in HPP had a dog that was pretty much worthless in terms of providing any protection...
My guy weighs 115 lbs ... not an ounce of fat ... won't let anyone near my van, boat, or me ... just a big teddy-bear with 42 teeth . That all said, also have another female for my wife ... girl dog is about 60 pounds and can do the same damage as the 115 pound male. And one of my sons has a 40 pound dog that can rip a strip out of pretty much any pair of pants he takes a mind to.

No, these aren't pit-bulls or fighting dogs. But they are trained watch dogs. My wife's dog and mine are both certified hearing service dogs. Their tasks include alerting us to various alarms and our cell phone text signals. Another is to orient us toward approach of strangers. It isn't too hard to teach dogs these things if you pick the right temperament to start with. And, while I do not advocate for schutzhund / attack-dog training, a good watchdog is preferable to a gun, imho.

What happens when people get nervous and arm themselves against home invasions is that the 14 and 15 year olds in the neighborhood get shot by accident when they are just sneaking through the yard -- or similar. Too many husbands, wives, kids, and others have been mistaken late at night in the dark by each other. Dog knows who is who. Easier to pay for a mistaken dog bite, if it should happen, than to pay for a funeral and grief that lasts a lifetime.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM

140 posts, read 407,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning!

Shalom,

Mahrie.
i whole heartily agree with this. if you are not prepared to protect yourself, then you can become the victim. i believe everyone should have the right to protect themselves from ppl like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The 69 year-old woman that was attacked in HPP had a dog that was pretty much worthless in terms of providing any protection...
wow the comments on the article are pretty bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
I agree. Everyone should check the Castle Law in Hawaii - see Hawaii Gun Laws: Hawaii gets Castle Doctrine. Yes, Hawaii. | Pointed In Press, LLC , Archived Measure Status , and Archived Measure Status so they know their rights as sometimes the police officers don't.

Mickey
all of a sudden my schutzhund idea is not sounding so crazy. lol, i only kid because i'm a firearm nut. i want a well trained dog that would protect me as my first line of defense. should i need to use force, i have the option of using a firearm. if there has to be a choice between his life or mine, i'm sorry but i will use all means to survive.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

113 posts, read 252,300 times
Not to make light of the horrible incident in HPP or Volcano but the dates of attacks are more than two years apart.

The HPP attack was recent the Volcano attack was in 2009 per dates on article...
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 3:16 PM PST

I believe on of the local online newspapers added the 2009 article in a location that did not make this obvious.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM

74 posts, read 166,254 times
Thanks for bringing the dates out on these two incidents. It's not like it's a common occurance here I don't believe . We are new residents here as of Sept 5th.
I will be 58 years old on Nov 1st. I was born and raised around firearms and firearm safety. It'll be 36 years ago on 11/1 that I had a guy smash his way into my house late at night. I was well armed and knew then, and know even more now, about firearms. Due to my familiarity with firearms I was able to get through it without shooting this man. I was also able to hold him, and call the police and they came and took him to jail. Not a great way to finish up ones 22nd birthday.
I bring this up because I get a bit tired of reading about how, if you have a firearm, the bad guy will take it away from and use it on you. I am very glad I didn't kill this man that night. Lucky for him he didn't try to approach me while I was holding him too. I am 100% sure I would have shot him had he tried that night.
For many people, and especially older folks, a good guard dog is a great option, and will usually keep the bad guys away. They'll find someone else to prey on.
And yes, I've read forums where I am told in Hawaii, you are expected to run away from your home and give it to the home invader rather than defend yourself. Well, that is a decision let's hope not many of us will ever have to make. I made my decision on how to handle a home invasion 36 years ago, and I stand by it.

I feel extremly bad for this 69 year old lady. Her life is forever changed in a big way.

jon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island