Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Those show that he is a better athlete.

Except being the most athletic doesn't automatically correlate with career accomplishments. Again, bringing up a laundrylist of accomplishments doesn't have anything to do with comparing their specific athletic abilities. Why is this a point of contention?Reading through the posts would have clued you in that bringing up championships and scoring averages is irrelevent in the context of this particular thread.

Last edited by Roman77; 09-22-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The OP didn't give specifics. Either way, Bird gets my vote.
Not great specifics, but he/ she did talk about speed, which is a clue. In any event, most of the subsequent posts have discussed and compared their jumping/running/explosiveness etc etc, so I guess thats enough of a clue to know we weren't comparing championships and scoring average. If it were about achievements, the thread would have ended after 5 posts; obviously Jordan has more overall accomplishments, but Lebron isn't finished with his career yet. Since you want to go the route of who's more accomplished, Lebron after 9 seasons has 3 mvps and one ring at 27, Jordan 3 mvps and 3 rings at 30. I don't believe Lebron catches Jordan's ring count but he likely matches or eclipses his mvp total of 5.

Last edited by Roman77; 09-22-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Except being the most athletic doesn't automatically correlate with career accomplishments. Again, bringing up a laundrylist of accomplishments doesn't have anything to do with comparing their specific athletic abilities. Why is this a point of contention?Reading through the posts would have clued you in that bringing up championships and scoring averages is irrelevent in the context of this particular thread.
I never said that it did.

Here's the thing, and I'm going to lay it out for you, it doesn't matter what I say, you don't like who I chose as a better athlete so you will argue no matter what. You understand my points, very simply put out, you are just being difficult.

Quote:
Not great specifics, but he/ she did talk about speed, which is a clue. In any event, most of the subsequent posts have discussed and compared their jumping/running/explosiveness etc etc, so I guess thats enough of a clue to know we weren't comparing championships and scoring average. If it were about achievements, the thread would have ended after 5 posts; obviously Jordan has more overall accomplishments, but Lebron isn't finished with his career yet. Since you want to go the route of who's more accomplished, Lebron after 9 seasons has 3 mvps and one ring at 27, Jordan 3 mvps and 3 rings at 30. I don't believe Lebron catches Jordan's ring count but he likely matches or eclipses his mvp total of 5.
If you were talking about what your favorite type of dog was first it wouldn't make it correct.

I already know where I stand so it seems like you are trying to convince yourself.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I never said that it did.

Here's the thing, and I'm going to lay it out for you, it doesn't matter what I say, you don't like who I chose as a better athlete so you will argue no matter what. You understand my points, very simply put out, you are just being difficult.

No you never said it did, you merely gave an answer that was irrelevent to what was well established that everyone else was talking about.

I understood your points fine, only those points dont mesh with the rest of the discussion. So I'll lay it out for you now: who you choose as a better athlete is irrelevant to me. The fact that everyone else was comparing these guys on athletic ability and you bring up scoring and championships, TOTALLY irrelevant to who's the better jumper/ speed/strength etc etc, is what I'm talking about here. Everyone else understands the nature of the debate and has answered accordingly, you decided to come charging in with a laundrylist of Jordan's acomplishments in a thread where everyone else is discussing individual athletic ability. Seems you're the one being difficult and contrarian, but you already know that. My original reply to you was intended to be good-natured, but it seems you genuinely wish to go against the grain for the sake of doing so. Don't be upset because you were called out on it.

Last edited by Roman77; 09-23-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:

I already know where I stand so it seems like you are trying to convince yourself.
Convince myself of what, exactly? We know where you stand too, somewhere out in left field discussing oranges when everyone else has spent the last 9 pages discussing apples. Should we open up a new thread 'who's the more accomplished player: Jordan or Lebron?' just for you? Because your prior answer really had nothing to do with what anyone else was discussing, you know that but want to argue it anyway because it was pointed out to you, in a non-argumentative manner.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
No you never said it did, you merely gave an answer that was irrelevent to what was well established that everyone else was talking about.

I understood your points fine, only those points dont mesh with the rest of the discussion. So I'll lay it out for you now: who you choose as a better athlete is irrelevant to me. The fact that everyone else was comparing these guys on athletic ability and you bring up scoring and championships, TOTALLY irrelevant to who's the better jumper/ speed/strength etc etc, is what I'm talking about here. Everyone else understands the nature of the debate and has answered accordingly, you decided to come charging in with a laundrylist of Jordan's acomplishments in a thread where everyone else is discussing individual athletic ability. Seems you're the one being difficult and contrarian, but you already know that. My original reply to you was intended to be good-natured, but it seems you genuinely wish to go against the grain for the sake of doing so. Don't be upset because you were called out on it.
Good natured, that's why you attacked my views and attacked me. It's an opinion, you can't be wrong when it's an opinion but according to you that can happen. Don't play the victim.

Quote:
Convince myself of what, exactly? We know where you stand too, somewhere out in left field discussing oranges when everyone else has spent the last 9 pages discussing apples. Should we open up a new thread 'who's the more accomplished player: Jordan or Lebron?' just for you? Because your prior answer really had nothing to do with what anyone else was discussing, you know that but want to argue it anyway because it was pointed out to you, in a non-argumentative manner.
You're right that it was non-argumentative because it was me posting and you attacking what you didn't like.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Good natured, that's why you attacked my views and attacked me. It's an opinion, you can't be wrong when it's an opinion but according to you that can happen. Don't play the victim.
This was my first reply to you:

The thread is about the better athlete, not the more accomplished career.

How the hell is that an attack?

And now I'm playing the victim? Ho that's rich!!Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

So let's review this: everyone here is comparing Jordan vs Lebron in terms of jumping/quickness/strength. You bring up championships and scoring, I mention that the discussion hasn't been about career achievements and stats, and now I'm attacking you and your views.

NO-ONE SAID YOUR OPINION WAS WRONG. I'M SAYING YOUR OPINION WASN'T RELATED TO WHAT WE WERE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT. Do you not understand the difference? It's like you came into this discussion and started talking about Baseball or something. Bringing up championships and stats is IRRELEVANT to a discussion where we're talking about who's the better jumper/faster/stronger athlete. Do you grasp rudimentary comprehension, or are you deliberating ignoring what's being said?

Oh and in terms of opinions, while there's no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion, there is such a thing as an 'uninformed' one.

Quote:

You're right that it was non-argumentative because it was me posting and you attacking what you didn't like.
Ummm no, it was me bringing to your attention that bringing up championships and scoring in a conversation where everyone else is comparing jumping/quickness/strength is an irrelevant point within the context of the discussion. Disagreeing with an opinion doesn't necessarily mean I 'dislike' it, but in terms of what you posted earlier, it's not about liking or disliking it. I simply pointed out that bringing up championships won is irrelevant in a discussion about quickness and jumping ability. A five year old could figure that out, why can't you?

You throw the word 'attack' around a lot, and have the audacity to accuse me of playing victim. This is an open message board; we discuss, debate, agree and disagree. If you're going to classify any post disagreeable with your posts as an attack, you're going to have problems here. You remind me of certain posters around here who scream 'hater' at every opportunity when they have no other recourse.

I know, flies right your head.

Last edited by Roman77; 09-23-2012 at 03:13 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I ran screaming from this thread long ago greg....sometimes, you just have to jump off the crazy train.

Don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball