Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times

Advertisements

OK, some basic info on this 'jumping higher' debate:

BOTH Jordan and Lebron have verticals in the 42-44 range. So do players like Vince Carter and Clyde Drexler....Gerald Green has like a 44"( youtube him if you don't know who that is). Shannon Brown has like a 44" as well. It has been stated that Jordan's vertical was 48", incorrect. if you want to see someone with a vertical approaching 48", youtube 'James "Flight" White'. Also youtube 'the air up there'.....

Michael Jordan is not 6"6. He is 6"4 3/4 without shoes, Lebron is 6"7 1/2 without shoes. Logic dictates that Lebron's head will be closer to/above the rim compared to Jordan, who is 3 inches shorter. Jordan's 'kiss the rim' dunk is one of the best examples of MJ's head being at or near the rim. Lebron is primarily a one-legged leaper; he needs a running start to attain his full leaping potential. Jordan is capable of jumping off one OR two legs and getting good air under his feet in both scenarios. So, all things considered, Jordan is the more versatile jumper and that shows in his greater variety of dunks, if you wanted to youtube dunk footage of both. The best combination of jumping, in-air creativity, power, finesse rolled into one package in terms of NBA players is easily Vince Carter.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM

266 posts, read 410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Verts and standing reach are common information on players.

I'm done arguing with someone with less that 10 posts to their name who can't do the basic research.

The rest of you have fun with this short-bus thread.
For someone who spends as much time on the internet as you with 20,000 posts you should know that when you look around the internet you can find various records of Michael Jordans vertical and there all between like 35 - 48 inches. So you can just pick whatever one you choose to believe but that does not make it the correct one. Since you know everything, can you post a link of the 1984 NBA Combine where Jordan got his vertical measured? Or can you post something where Tim Grover (Jordans trainer) is talking about his vertical? Those are the only 2 sources i would truly believe.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM

This has verticals, no step and running, from the NBA draft combine...

DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,253,045 times
Michael Jordan hands down.

In his seventh season in the league he won his first championship, Lebron took nine. This is also considering that Jordan missed most of his second year. Jordan has also won six championships to Lebron's one. Lebron needed to pick and choose who would be on the Heat with him to win one championship. This did not happen with the Bulls.

Jordan averaged over 30 points in his career, Lebron's best season average is less than Jordan's career average with the Bulls.

Jordan has an NCAA championship.

Jordan also did not lose a game in the Olympics.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Michael Jordan hands down.

In his seventh season in the league he won his first championship, Lebron took nine. This is also considering that Jordan missed most of his second year. Jordan has also won six championships to Lebron's one. Lebron needed to pick and choose who would be on the Heat with him to win one championship. This did not happen with the Bulls.

Jordan averaged over 30 points in his career, Lebron's best season average is less than Jordan's career average with the Bulls.

Jordan has an NCAA championship.

Jordan also did not lose a game in the Olympics.
The thread is about the better athlete, not the more accomplished career.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The thread is about the better athlete, not the more accomplished career.
Those show that he is a better athlete.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Those show that he is a better athlete.
So you'd say Larry Bird is a better athlete then say Vince Carter?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
So you'd say Larry Bird is a better athlete then say Vince Carter?
I like Vince Carter, he's a great basketball player, but yes, Larry Bird is better.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I like Vince Carter, he's a great basketball player, but yes, Larry Bird is better.
I guess we have different definitions of "athlete". Larry Bird is obviously the better basketball player but I'm pretty sure this thread is about whose the better athlete in terms of pure natural athletic ability. Things such as speed, agility, body control, explosiveness, strength, etc... not basketball skill.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I guess we have different definitions of "athlete". Larry Bird is obviously the better basketball player but I'm pretty sure this thread is about whose the better athlete in terms of pure natural athletic ability. Things such as speed, agility, body control, explosiveness, strength, etc... not basketball skill.
The OP didn't give specifics. Either way, Bird gets my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball