Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post

He said that most of the Mets injuries this season took place on the road and as a result the team was at the mercy of the other teams' medical staffs.
Wow.....so they're blaming other teams' medical staffs for the rash of injuries?? As much as I like to see the Mets lose, I kind of feel sorry for you Mets fans. The future is not looking good for you as long as those clowns are steering the ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,214,332 times
Quote:
They're doing some media stuff at Citi Field right now, and Jeff Wilpon just said... Get ready for it...

He said that most of the Mets injuries this season took place on the road and as a result the team was at the mercy of the other teams' medical staffs.

Nice to see this organization is ready to step up and take some responsibility for their own failures.
It's probably best to find a new team, because your franchise is done.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,931,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
It gets worse!

"The New York Mets announced Monday that bench coach Sandy Alomar, Sr. and first base coach Luis Alicea would not return for the 2010 season."

THEY FIRED THE WRONG TWO!!

Johnson, Warthen and Niemann will return to their positions. In addition, Razor Shines and catching instructor Sandy Alomar, Jr. will return in yet to be decided roles. If the role for Shines is selling hot dogs at the Shake Shack, that's fine with me. Anything else is above his pay grade!
The sad thing is Sandy Alomar, Sr. is probably the guy who wants this team to win the most of everyone. I've had a few brief chances to talk to him at Spring Training. The guy is a really nice guy, and I know that's not enough to keep a job in the big leagues, but he knows his stuff too. And he also really cares. Apparently they want to reassign him to another part of the organization, but someone needs to tell the Mets that a bench coach does more than high five people in the dugout. Sandy knows his stuff, and if this organization even has any emotions left at all they will be sorry he's not in the dugout sometime in early April next year.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,795 times
Even the Mets' media personel is inept. I live in the NY market so I'd watch Mets on TV every now and then and Gary Cohen can't go a game (playing the Phillies or not) without whining about how unfair it is that the Phillies play in a small park.

Yea Gary, they move the fences in 10 feet when the Phillies hit and the Phillies also don't play any games away from CBP

Not to mention their players always have to bring something up about the Phillies in post-game interviews no matter who the opponent was.

Whatever happened to New Yorkers (residents and athletes) supposedly having thick skin? The Phillies are in their heads and it started with that harmless Rollins comment.

LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Even the Mets' media personel is inept. I live in the NY market so I'd watch Mets on TV every now and then and Gary Cohen can't go a game (playing the Phillies or not) without whining about how unfair it is that the Phillies play in a small park.

Yea Gary, they move the fences in 10 feet when the Phillies hit and the Phillies also don't play any games away from CBP

Not to mention their players always have to bring something up about the Phillies in post-game interviews no matter who the opponent was.

Whatever happened to New Yorkers (residents and athletes) supposedly having thick skin? The Phillies are in their heads and it started with that harmless Rollins comment.

LOL
Gary Cohen is pretty bad. I know there are Mets fans on here who won't agree with that, and I completely understand that. But in my opinion he has taken some major steps back since moving from radio to television. Keith Hernandez does a very nice job. Darling is pretty good too but he's never seen a game that didn't go the Mets way that wasn't the fault of the home plate umpire. Gary, who I used to like, really annoys me now.

Gary has two calls. Here are both of them. "STRUCK HIM OUT" and "AND IT'S OUTTA HERE"; that's it. That's all he has left. On a side-note, he really caused some unrest with the radio guys when he muscled his way back into their booth during the 2006 playoffs. He wanted to call the games, and radio was the only way he could do that with the networks having all of the TV broadcasts. The radio guys weren't on good terms at all with him and felt that he moved on to TV and shouldn't have gone to the organization and asked to go back for the playoffs. We're not exactly talking about one of the living legends of the broadcasting game here. That didn't really get out much, but there were some really bad feelings over that. Not to mention, Howie Rose who does the radio broadcasts is one of the best sports announcers anywhere, period. Of course that's just my opinion.

Keith really caught Cohen and Darling off-guard as the final game came to an end and the broadcast was coming to a close. Cohen and Darling both thanked the fans for sticking with them during the really frustrating season and said they can't wait to get back to work in 2010. Cohen threw it to Keith with a "wouldn't you agree, Keith?" and Keith said, "Well I'm working on a new contract right now, so who knows what will be next season. I hope I'll be here."

Last edited by BringTheContent; 10-05-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,795 times
Keith Hernandez isn't bad. He's pretty objective and intelligent. Hard to believe he was once considered the foulest ball in baseball.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Keith Hernandez isn't bad. He's pretty objective and intelligent. Hard to believe he was once considered the foulest ball in baseball.
What I get from listening to him on the games is that he is who he is and he doesn't care if anyone likes him or not. What I don't like about Gary Cohen and Ron Darling is that they seem to make every call as if to say "Hey Mets fans, we love the Mets like you do!" For me anyway baseball has always been a game that tells its own story on the field, and when we're talking about baseball on TV unless we're talking about someone like Vin Scully, less is definitely more. Radio of course is different, but where TV is concerned people can tell when broadcasters are trying too hard to get their lines in or aren't being sincere.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Keith had better watch out; Tim McCarver got canned for expressing too much in the way of opinions. Although when you think about it, that would be just one more typical move by the Wilpons.

And to JHG, who suggested that it might be time to find a new team because this one is done...I wake up every morning hoping to see blazing headlines announcing the Dodgers' return to Brooklyn. But it hasn't happened yet. (I suspect they're waiting for the A's to come back to Philadelphia!)

Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Keith had better watch out; Tim McCarver got canned for expressing too much in the way of opinions. Although when you think about it, that would be just one more typical move by the Wilpons.
I would not want to be this organization if the day ever comes when they have any kind of a public falling out with Keith Hernandez. And let's face it, this being New York, just not giving him a new contract will turn into exactly that whether things really went down that way or not. There actually ARE fans who are ready to jump ship at this point. Not bandwagon fans either. Lifelong fans who are so discouraged they are ready to just move on from baseball. It's the kind of thing you hear about every year things don't work out, but this is about as low as things can get. This group can't afford any public relations nightmares right now. I don't think this will end up being Keith vs. The Mets, but if it does it's a battle the Mets aren't in any position to win. Of course, more than likely, Hernandez just lit a fire under them to get his contract worked out ASAP. Kind of well-played really.

By the way, a great quote from the Keith Hernandez book If At First... When he found out he was being traded to the Mets he called his accountant: "Do I have enough money right now to retire?"

Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,832,098 times
Quote:
What I get from listening to him on the games is that he is who he is and he doesn't care if anyone likes him or not. What I don't like about Gary Cohen and Ron Darling is that they seem to make every call as if to say "Hey Mets fans, we love the Mets like you do!" For me anyway baseball has always been a game that tells its own story on the field, and when we're talking about baseball on TV unless we're talking about someone like Vin Scully, less is definitely more. Radio of course is different, but where TV is concerned people can tell when broadcasters are trying too hard to get their lines in or aren't being sincere.
That is exactly what the Phillies TV announcers are now....Tom McCarthy (formerly a Mets broadcaster) and Chris Wheeler just talk too damn much, and most of the time they're talking about something dumb that has nothing to do with the game. The Phillies TV broadcasts went downhill fast after Harry's passing. Growing up listening to Harry and Whitey calling the games and now listening to McCarthy and Wheeler is like day and night. The Phils' radio brodcasts are good, though, with Larry Andersen and Scott Franzke. But it says something for the Phils' TV team that whenever I had the chance to watch the game on the opposing teams' network I would watch it there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball