Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,634,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Like I said, at least MLB tests for steroids and acknowledges the problem. Steroids are obviously a problem in football, and they just stick their heads in the sand.

MLB the worst? Are you kidding me? I would guess that a majority, if not all, football players are on some kind of performance-enhancing drug.

Prove it.

Its mighty nice of MLB to test, after all these years of benefiting from it and damn near encouraging it. Hell the 2nd in command at the players union was the guy tipping people off on when they were gonna get popped for a test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,915,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Prove it.

Its mighty nice of MLB to test, after all these years of benefiting from it and damn near encouraging it. Hell the 2nd in command at the players union was the guy tipping people off on when they were gonna get popped for a test.
Are you going to tell me that football players have gotten as ripped as they are just from lifting weights and eating their Chunky Soup....

Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,316,719 times
I would doubt any big time player is using roids now. They know the testing and bans and think of the image hit. My guess is that any positive test now would come from some one in the minors trying to work their way up, or an older player trying to hang around.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Are you going to tell me that football players have gotten as ripped as they are just from lifting weights and eating their Chunky Soup....

Like I said. Prove it.

Chunky Soup works, you outta see my physique. LMAO

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM

843 posts, read 1,305,480 times
speed,

I didn't say Selig was a good commish. Just meant that job is worth that kind of money.

For all the bashing that Selig has taken the only thing he has done that I don't like is interleague play. Fact is, baseball is making more money than ever and has more fans than ever. So, he has to be considered a good commisioner.

All the fans knew the players were using and attendance went up. What should Selig have done? Told people to stop coming to games?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM

4,358 posts, read 3,591,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I would doubt any big time player is using roids now. They know the testing and bans and think of the image hit. My guess is that any positive test now would come from some one in the minors trying to work their way up, or an older player trying to hang around.

And you know what's really sad about this? This stuff is not news anymore.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,687,337 times
Its so horrible that baseball players are not being good role models. Children should have lots of strong role models. I mean, remember when congress called a bunch of players up and stood on their soapboxes preaching how important honesty, fairness, and playing by the rules means. What an example! I mean, think how many kids will want to be like DC politicians! There is a good set of role models. And don't forget for the unathletic kids who have no talent and attend games. They get to sit in their seats and listen to the drunk fat fans yell f%%k you at the opposing teams, and especially the roid users. Another fine example of role models. And consider all of the beer adds and exposure to alcohol kids get when going to games, I mean, really it is just sad that all of these other positive strong role models are going unnoticed while little steroid using dirtbags ruin the lives of millions or even billions of kids!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,682,843 times
I am shocked! A big name baseball player on the juice.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,528,581 times
Default Thank You A-Rod

As a long time Yankees fan I must admit I was saddened by the news that A-Rod (now being dubbed A-Fraud) has admitted to using steroids/performance enhancing drugs. I truly hoped that he would reach the homerun records set by Ruth, Aaron, McGwire*, Maris, etc... and in doing so, would do it without the nasty little '*' that seems to pervade every modern day baseball player's records. It is a sad day when a man whom many kids look up to as one of 'the greats' has been found out to be cheating in some capacity.

Regardless of whatever he does in the future, there will always be speculation that he has achieved whatever it is he has achieved under the nasty conclusion that he at one time cheated.

With that being said, I would like to take the time out to thank A-Rod. Not because he hit a few homeruns playing for my favorite team, not because I adore and worship the guy but because for the first time in weeks (maybe months) I have been able to go to CNN.com, FoxNews.com, The New York Times Online, etc... and the first thing that pops onto my screen is something OTHER than the economic crisis, people losing their jobs and other political issues of the day.

Right now, A-Rod is the center of attention, where he presumably likes to be and he is, at least for the time being, a distraction to all of the gloom and doom surrounding the country. One of the things that has made baseball such a wonderful American past-time is the fact that despite wars, other financial crises, terrorist attacks, etc... there seems stitched into the fabric of every glove, baseball and in this day and age: syringes, a way for the American populace to focus their attentions on something other than bad news.

Isn't it nice to focus our attention on one man's follies who really has nothing to fear in his financial and personal future? He will be a quasi-billionaire by the time he is done playing baseball and whether or not that is because he used performance enhancing drugs or steroids to get there, right now he is at the center of American scrutiny and for that I thank him.

As a loyal Yankees fan I will still cheer him on when he comes to the plate, I will still hope that he hits a few homeruns for 'my team' and even though I may never fully feel that his entrance into the hall of fame came solely at the beck and call of natural talent, for right now I am relieved to see that I do not have to see on the front page of every news station, internet site and newspaper another picture of a plant closing, long lines of unemployed people and stock charts showing a steep downward decline over the last few months.

So, I hope that perhaps the scandal will continue for a few more days and perhaps a few more weeks. I hope the press really eats it up and I hope the American public buys into it even more. Whether you love him or hate him, call him A-Rod or A-Fraud, we should at least thank him for giving us the opportunity to focus our attention someplace else if even for a short while.

With that, I will say thank you A-Rod, if only we could all be so lucky to have to worry about our names being plastered over the news as a quasi-billionaire who dabbled with a few illegal drugs. If only life were that nice for the rest of us...

Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
speed,

I didn't say Selig was a good commish. Just meant that job is worth that kind of money.

For all the bashing that Selig has taken the only thing he has done that I don't like is interleague play. Fact is, baseball is making more money than ever and has more fans than ever. So, he has to be considered a good commisioner.

All the fans knew the players were using and attendance went up. What should Selig have done? Told people to stop coming to games?

I guess it would depend on what your definition of good is. Are the money figures in baseball up..yes, so thats a plus but look at the way it got there.

After the strike the american baseball fan did not come back to the ball parks like before. Baseball was in a rut because the average Joe doesnt want to hear about millionares arguing with billionares about money. Baseball needed a story line and that story line was more offense. The most sacred record in all of sports was the Home run records both single season and life time. By "turning a blind eye" to almost encouraging performace enhancing drugs Bud Selig is just as guilty if not more guilty than the players. He knew what was going on, so did the players and so did the players union. Now he wants to parade around on the hero horse of doing everything he can to clean up the sport. WHAT? Are you serious? He's the ring leader but the players are the ones facing all the media scrutiny. WHY? Because we need someone to blame and Bug and MLB gave them Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Palmiero, Clemens and the rest. This guy is a farce at the highest level. Lets reward him for doing what he should have done 8 - 10 years ago??? UM, no he deserves to be on trial too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball