Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

I think that the perception of most fans is that the steroid problem in MLB has been policed and is a thing of the past. and that we are once more seeing a level playing field.

Perhaps. The decline in offensive superstar seasons tends to support the perception and there aren't any obvious suspects under fire for current use.

The problem though is not a thing of the past, even if MLB is completely clean. It will continue to plague for some time to come as the HoF voters either remain consistent with the McGwire treatment for all suspected users, or start to discriminate by electing some of the offenders, but not others.

The three major figures of controversy will be Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and eventually Alex Rodriguez, but we will have plenty of controversy before we get to Arod.

Those three are part of one group which contains those who have been caught or confessed and there is no doubt:
Rafael Palimiero
Manny Ramirez
David Ortiz
Sammy Sosa
Andy Pettite
Jason Giambi
Gary Sheffield
Plenty of others, but none who are true Hall candidates

Then there is another group who have been identified in one way or another, but have not confessed nor tested positive.
Juan Gonzalez
Ivan Rodriguez
Miguel Tejada

and some others who are borderline candidates such as Magglio Ordonez and Kevin Brown.

I suspect that the vote on Barry Bonds, who will be on the ballot in 2013, will dictate the direction for the entire group. I have read explanations from some of the voters who are saying that they will vote for Bonds on the basis of his being a lock for the Hall before he began his steroid use. (The same is being said for Clemens.) They are reasoning that Mark McGwire would not be a strong candidate except for his steroid use, so the cases are different. That sort of thinking seems misguided to me in that it is saying that steroid use in itself shouldn't keep someone out, just those who benefitted enough from it to make them Hall candidates.

If Bonds is elected, then I think what will follow will be a long, slow period of forgiveness for all of them, and reconsideration in the voting. If Bonds is given the McGwire treatement, (25% or less of the vote) then I think that all the others are doomed. On what grounds could they keep Bonds out while later electing Arod?

I also think Bonds' chances will be closely tied to the outcome of his perjury trial, now scheduled for next March. If Bonds is convicted, I think that will sink him with the voters, and if he is not convicted, it could give him a big boost.

So steroids, while they may not be with on the field any longer, are still going to be with us for at least another 15 or 20 years worth of arguing about how the Hall should treat this era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:50 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I don't see too many of those guys you listed as Hall of Famers at this point. Bonds and A-Rod definitely...but now way will Giambi, Sheffield, Ortiz, Manny, Pettite, Juan Gonzalez, or Tejada even be seriosly considered for the hall. Palmiero and Pudge would be outside shots to make the hall, but the rest I don't think will be in any serious hall of fame discussions, steroids or not.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I certainly disagree with you regarding Ivan Rodriguez. Sans steroid problems, he would be a certain first ballot inductee. How many 14 time all star catchers with 13 gold gloves and an MVP award do you think there have been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball