Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,242,301 times

Advertisements

On January 9th the voters will be selecting from among:

Jeff Bagwell, 1B
Jeromy Burnitz, OF *
Vinny Castilla, 3B *
Juan Gonzalez, OF
Brian Jordan, OF *
Barry Larkin, SS
Javy Lopez, C *
Edgar Martinez, 3B/DH
Don Mattingly, 1B
Fred McGriff, 1B
Mark McGwire, 1B
Jack Morris, RHP
Bill Mueller, 3B *
Terry Mulholland, LHP*
Dale Murphy, OF
Phil Nevin, 3B/1B *
Rafael Palmeiro, 1B
Brad Radke, RHP *
Tim Raines, OF
Tim Salmon, OF *
Ruben Sierra, OF *
Lee Smith, RHP
Alan Trammell, SS
Larry Walker, OF
Bernie Williams, OF *
Tony Womack, 2B/SS *
Eric Young, 2B *
* -- first year on ballot.

It is a very weak field of first time elligble candidates, I don't see any of them ever being elected. I'd predict Bernie Williams getting the most votes among the first timers, but not more than 35%. Consequently, this will help those getting reconsideration. Barry Larkin has come closest among that latter group, receiving 62% of the vote last year. The circumstances will probably never be more favorable for Larkin's election, and I expect that he will make this time around.

Others with a chance are Jeff Bagwell and Jack Morris, but Bagwell has been level at 47% support in both of his previous votes, and Morris is up for the 12th time, never having risen higher than 53%. Tim Raines is always a dark horse, Lee Smith gets some editorial support, but I think the most likely outcome will be Larkin and no one else.

Far more interesting will be the 2013 election where the first timer list will feature Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa. (also Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza and Curt Schilling.)

Last edited by Grandstander; 11-30-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,058,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
On January 9th te voters will be selecting from among:

Jeff Bagwell, 1B
Jeromy Burnitz, OF *
Vinny Castilla, 3B *
Juan Gonzalez, OF
Brian Jordan, OF *
Barry Larkin, SS
Javy Lopez, C *
Edgar Martinez, 3B/DH
Don Mattingly, 1B
Fred McGriff, 1B
Mark McGwire, 1B
Jack Morris, RHP
Bill Mueller, 3B *
Terry Mulholland, LHP*
Dale Murphy, OF
Phil Nevin, 3B/1B *
Rafael Palmeiro, 1B
Brad Radke, RHP *
Tim Raines, OF
Tim Salmon, OF *
Ruben Sierra, OF *
Lee Smith, RHP
Alan Trammell, SS
Larry Walker, OF
Bernie Williams, OF *
Tony Womack, 2B/SS *
Eric Young, 2B *
* -- first year on ballot.

It is a very weak field of first time elligble candidates, I don't see any of them ever being elected. I'd predict Bernie Williams getting the most votes among the first timers, but not more than 35%. Consequently, this will help those getting reconsideration. Barry Larkin has come closest among that latter group, receiving 62% of the vote last year. The circumstances will probably never be more favorable for Larkin's election, and I expect that he will make this time around.

Others with a chance are Jeff Bagwell and Jack Morris, but Bagwell has been level at 47% support in both of his previous votes, and Morris is up for the 12th time, never having risen higher than 53%. Tim Raines is always a dark horse, Lee Smith gets some editorial support, but I think the most likely outcome will be Larkin and no one else.

Far more interesting will be the 2013 election where the first timer list will feature Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa. (also Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza and Curt Schilling.)

All three for 2013 will be interesting

Agree on the week class though a case seems like could be made for a few

Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,721,582 times
Only one I can see having a shot is Larkin.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,186,710 times
As a Yankee fan it's weird. Mattingly had a shorter career but his numbers and defense were better during that time but because Bernie had a long enough career, his numbers are good but I don't consider him hall worthy, maybe borderline at best. Mattingly I do consider hall worthy but his shorter career does hurt him.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,086,385 times
There are some good players on this ballot, but I am struggling to find players I would equate with the hall of fame.

The players with the statistics are all under the grey steroid cloud. I do not anticipate them getting the votes. Including the newcomers next year.

It will be an interesting vote...

I am hoping the vets committee votes on Ron Santo this year!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 PM

14,753 posts, read 14,742,076 times
Larkin should be in as the best SS of his generation along with Ripkin. I believe Larry Walker to be highly underrated, though injuries will probably keep him out. Edgar is also the best test-case we have for whether a DH is eligible for the Hall of Fame (the next will be Frank Thomas).

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,186,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Larkin should be in as the best SS of his generation along with Ripkin. I believe Larry Walker to be highly underrated, though injuries will probably keep him out. Edgar is also the best test-case we have for whether a DH is eligible for the Hall of Fame (the next will be Frank Thomas).
The problem with Larry Walker is that his numbers were padded with all those years playing for the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball