Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,563,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparcas View Post
Can someone tell me why there is no high speed trains in USA?
My best guess is because there may not be enough demand to buitt such system like in Europe.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM

6,888 posts, read 9,423,518 times
I own one vehicle and need one vehicle.
HOWEVER,
In the future, I'll own two or three. Why? Because I like cars.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 18,000 times
Atleast two to three cars for a family.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,731,762 times
Vehicles are my weakness... I only have 3.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Boy oh boy! I see a lot of potential hillbilly redneck yard ornaments in the future for a lot of these folk's when gas gets really high priced or hard to find.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,207,301 times
NEED? One, but it'd have to be a pickup and a crew cab.

So, I have a pickup, and a family car.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,785,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy oh boy! I see a lot of potential hillbilly redneck yard ornaments in the future for a lot of these folk's when gas gets really high priced or hard to find.
Don't you know they are called future restoration projects

In all seriousness... gas prices are the reason I need 3 vehicles...

I used to drive my service van, 11 mpg, everywhere when gas was cheap... my van is a 1985 and fully outfitted.

When gas went up I could justify buying a small 30 mpg + passenger car to use when I didn't need my mobile workshop...

I still need the truck with the winch and platform hitch when I rent the cement buggies from the local ready-mix plant... they no longer allow passenger cars or full size 1/2 ton trucks to tow... 3/4 or heavier is now required...

So it's not me... I'm a victim of circumstance

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,433,083 times
5 cars between the wife and myself (1 for her and the kids, 4 for me...Selfish, aren't I? ).

2006 Honda Odyssey EX <--- hers, and the kids

ALL MINE!!!!!
2005 Toyota Avalon XLS Touring (Daily driver)
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo (weekend project/cruiser)
2003 Lexus IS300 (picked it up at an auction without an engine/will be getting a Supra turbo engine and a Getrag tranny in months to come, read...salivation )
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S (restoration in progress)

Contemplating getting a truck to tow the toys around. (used Tundra maybe, I would prefer Diesel, but not an option for Toyotas in the US)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not really, not for me anyway - the advantage of multiple cars is that since I do almost all my own service work, and it's perhaps a luxury I choose to afford, but having several older, paid-for cars in my "fleet" allows me to have several to drive while I am working on one, when I am working on one.

There is nothing more irritating to me than to be forced to finish working on a car Sunday evening because I need it to go to work on Monday. That and sometimes I find other issues during the teardown, I like to have the time to order in parts if necessary without haveing to disassemble/reassemble multiple times.

That and to me driving the same car all the time would get boring..
Great post. I enjoy working on my project cars without having to rush or worry about getting to work the next day. As a car lover, I could not agree more with your last statement.

Quote:
The question of this topic has nothing at all to do with hobby expense cars or otherwise. It's about how many cars YOU NEED FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE! To which I still say...ONE!
While there seemed to be a confusion here, most people answered with the amount of cars they have. Do they need them? Maybe, maybe not. But really, who cares? I agree that for the most part, people may only NEED one, but that should not stop them from enjoying multiple cars for daily uses and hobbies. I own a few myself, because I love cars and they're a hobby of mine. People should enjoy their lives the way they see fit. I for one don't buy new, don't get into car payments, but enjoy multiple cars because I am a car lover. Nothing wrong with that.

Some can ask the same question, how many pairs of pants do you need? Some could say 5 at most, but most people own way more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Always wanted one of those.....I at least got to take one for a test drive once and it was a real blast. It's a shame Peugeot didn't hang on long enough in the US to sell us the 406 Coupe.
Ah, the Peugeots....great cars. I get a kick everytime I visit relatives in Europe. I have a cousin that has a modded Peugeot 205 GTi, and Renault Megane. Great cars. We're missing out on some good cars on this side of the pond. It's a shame the French didn't duke it out like the Germans did in the early 90s (Vw/Audi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
SG,
Some people just use a car to get from point a to point b. They don't car about styling, performance , or the enjoyment of driving. Those types seem to only care about resale value, mpg, etc... That is why there are so many boring egg mobiles that are on our roads today.
Well said.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,477,061 times
Quote:
I'll let you know when the DBS becomes a redneck lawn ornament!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,046,442 times
Quote:
Some people just don't get it.

I am so glad we have the freedom to choose what meets our own needs and are not dictated to by narrow minded folks like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive