Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:06 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

If I may ask, how many years driving experience do you have?
Obviously, not very many.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM

836 posts, read 3,384,949 times
I agree people shouldn't tailgate, I also agree that you shouldn't be just hitting your brakes at random because someone is tailgating you! I also think when you try to go around someone riding in the left lane that they shouldn't speed up so you cant get back over but they do. And what about the ones who weave in and out of lanes driving like a crazy person. But hey this is what people do when they drive.. they are in a hurry and don't think about other peoples lives on the road...heck they don't even think about their own lives.

If you choose to hit your brakes when someone is tailgating you.....You are taking a risk not only with your life (and whom ever may be with you) but theirs too.. just because they are being stupid doesn't mean you need to follow along and be just as stupid. Regardless of whether or not they tailgate you, if they hit you and this causes a horrific accident and someone gets killed in the process due to the fact that you all the sudden hit your brakes because they were riding your a$$...you will be the one to pay in the end. A rear end collision wouldn't be fun specially at a high rate of speed. In most cases you will end up being injured or possibly killed..but hey you go right ahead and let someone hit you please let me know what happens afterward cause I would like to know. You would probably end up being charged for causing the accident regardless of that persons tailgating. Remember ppl have cell phones with them at all times and take pics of everything.. you just never know when someone might take a picture of you hitting your brakes and the car behind you hitting you. So yea talk is good but think about the people around you before you do something stupid. Life isn't fair but we all end up paying for the stupid things we do.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 11-05-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,884,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Obviously, not very many.
Makes me think of all the teens I see on the road driving way too fast or talking on their cell phone or hauling around 3 or 4 passengers, oblivious to what's going on around them. They don't have enough experience to be driving like they do.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Makes me think of all the teens I see on the road driving way too fast or talking on their cell phone or hauling around 3 or 4 passengers, oblivious to what's going on around them. They don't have enough experience to be driving like they do.
I think part of the problem is that they have that ever-present "Teenager Invincibility Syndrome." Another problem is that, due to lack of experience, they have absolutely no idea how fast they're actually traveling and how much ground they're covering every second. Unfortunately, some never learn, even when they become older adults.

Myself? I prefer to arrive alive, even though I'm extremely impatient. I've had enough close calls to know that it just isn't worth it. Who cares if I was right, if I'm dead.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
When I'm tailgated I turn on my rear window washer which also spritzes the tailgater's windshield. This usually backs people off, especially those that are tailgating out of carelessness rather than agressiveness.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
There are a select few people out there (me for one) who relish the opportunity when someone rides their back bumper. You see, when I can't see your headlights in my rearview, you are taking one heck of a gamble. I don't care what car I am driving, when I see that you are trying to bully me on the road, I tend to lock up my brakes so you will hit me. Tend is the wrong word. I look forward to locking my brakes up and watching you squeal your tires and get really scared trying everything in your power to not hit me. And it would serve you well to not hit me. I will make the most out of the opportunity and make sure I milk your insurance for so much money, that you will be deemed unisurable by every insurance company short of Safe Auto. And even better, if you are dumb enough to not have insurance, I will bankrupt you and your family.

So next time you are in such a hurry to get nowhere and want to play bully on the highway, just remember that I am not the only one who thinks like this. Have a nice day!!!
My dad had some jacka-s like you do this to him and he wasn't even tailgating....and let me emphasize....you ARE a JACKA-S!!!!

Lets just say....in the case of 1982 Chevy 4X4 vs Compact POS the outcome was pretty one-sided.

The guy stumbled out of his car and started mouthing about how he was going to sue.

My dad went back to his truck and got his .45 and asked, "What was that you said?"

"Uh....can you help me get out of this ditch!"

<LOL> "See you later, m-f-er"

Ya see....one of these days you will find yourself face to face with a former Army Special Forces Vietnam vet that doesn't give two sh-ts about whether or not some ingrate pos like you ends up as an oily spot in the dirt.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
O. K. so I am driving through Kentucky on a four lane road doing the speed limit. The next thing I know I am surrounded by three trucks that have me totally boxed in on the right lane. One truck in front, one truck closely behind, and one on the left side where I can see the driver. The truck behind me is talking on a two way radio, I can see him with it in his hand. So I look to the left and the trucker is talking into his speaker and both men are having a fun time laughing. I am pretty terrified, considering I have my two children in the car and we are on our way to Ohio to visit my husband. I figured the one in front is part of the party. What would you have done?

I certainly did not want to pull over and stop, because I didn't know what these men were up to. So I got to an area where I could have escaped into a field if necessary and showed the driver behind me the tail lights. They got away from me and left me alone. You may call that dangerous driving. I call it smart and I would not have felt responsible if the bullies had crashed. They deserved to wreck and I think any tailgater deserves to wreck too. A tailgater is a bully that is threatening your life and whatever it takes to make them stop should not be against the law. Just make sure you have a way out of it yourself. They need to learn how to drive or start paying attention to the other traffic. I didn't slam on my brakes, but the driver behind me thought I had.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My dad had some jacka-s like you do this to him and he wasn't even tailgating....and let me emphasize....you ARE a JACKA-S!!!!

Lets just say....in the case of 1982 Chevy 4X4 vs Compact POS the outcome was pretty one-sided.

The guy stumbled out of his car and started mouthing about how he was going to sue.

My dad went back to his truck and got his .45 and asked, "What was that you said?"

"Uh....can you help me get out of this ditch!"

<LOL> "See you later, m-f-er"

Ya see....one of these days you will find yourself face to face with a former Army Special Forces Vietnam vet that doesn't give two sh-ts about whether or not some ingrate pos like you ends up as an oily spot in the dirt.

Spare us the John Wayne crap. Your dad's mighty Chevy 4x4 might be pretty intimidating to a compact car driver, but he's not such hot crap when facing the front bumper of a Semi Tractor. What's more, threatening somebody with a gun is not only STUPID, it's illegal.

If you rear-end somebody because you're tail-gaiting them, you're in trouble with the law.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
O. K. so I am driving through Kentucky on a four lane road doing the speed limit. The next thing I know I am surrounded by three trucks that have me totally boxed in on the right lane. One truck in front, one truck closely behind, and one on the left side where I can see the driver. The truck behind me is talking on a two way radio, I can see him with it in his hand. So I look to the left and the trucker is talking into his speaker and both men are having a fun time laughing. I am pretty terrified, considering I have my two children in the car and we are on our way to Ohio to visit my husband. I figured the one in front is part of the party. What would you have done?

I certainly did not want to pull over and stop, because I didn't know what these men were up to. So I got to an area where I could have escaped into a field if necessary and showed the driver behind me the tail lights. They got away from me and left me alone. You may call that dangerous driving. I call it smart and I would not have felt responsible if the bullies had crashed. They deserved to wreck and I think any tailgater deserves to wreck too. A tailgater is a bully that is threatening your life and whatever it takes to make them stop should not be against the law. Just make sure you have a way out of it yourself. They need to learn how to drive or start paying attention to the other traffic. I didn't slam on my brakes, but the driver behind me thought I had.
A lot of trucks have "How Is My Driving?" stickers on the back of them, with phone numbers. They're there to be used.

Glad you came out okay!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM

836 posts, read 3,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
No, it doesn't deflate it. My statement still applies except I guess in the case of congested traffic as that in a metropolitan area at rush hour. It doesn't matter how many lanes. The SLOWER people, whatever the speed, still need to get out of the left farthest lane and let the faster people pass. Even if you are making headway and the left land is oncoming traffic that means the people in front of you need to get themselves over for you to pass. As I said I'm sure the problem arises when there is too much traffic in a city area or something and there is just too many people on the road. But then I guess if you don't want to deal with it then don't be on the highway then or take a different route if possible. There is no reason on an open highway without congested traffic for someone to not let a faster motorist pass them, but of course if there is no traffic you can just get into the right lane and pass the slow person on the left too.
Girl if you are on a road where oncoming traffic is both ways and someone is going slow in front of you and you want to pass..that is just tough sh*t for you. You can't pass unless it is a passing zone. They don't have to pull over so you can go around them! There is NO Law stating you must move off to the side of the road where there is oncoming traffic both ways so that you the tailgater can go around them! If your on a 4 lane hwy/interstate the yes they should be courteous and move over to let faster traffic pass, but most people don't.
There is a move over law for Emergency Vehicles or at least slow down to pass them if they are stationary on the side of the road.
Bottom Line is.. Moving over is a matter of courtesy. It is a matter of safety. It is a matter of doing one's part to help traffic flow smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive