Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM

50 posts, read 291,708 times

Advertisements

Just when things couldnt get any worse; my only car that is in relatively great condition '96 camry...dies. Supposedly its the timing belt. I say supposedly because I only got 1 estimate, but the tow truck guy from earlier told me its something else, like the fuel pump? He kept trying to start it, covering up vacuums and stuff but to no avail. But the muchanic I go to has fixed my car often and they after looking it over and starting it said it was the timing belt.

Anyways, I got the estimate for nearly $600. I know some will say its a good deal, and the guy even offered to meet me half-way on it...but I am so broke, that its not even funny. I've spent nearly $500 with this mechanic for CV and A/C work 2 months ago, then $300 while on the road last month. So Im ****ed out of all my car repair money. Whats worse, my night job hasnt been calling me lately and I am...excuse me WAS seeking a second job to cover. Well now looks like I cant go anywhere, there's no public transportation here to get to my night job even if they call on weekends....basically I feel like my things are taking a major hit.

Ok Im sounding silly right now, but its a disappointment. I had planned to do some contract work in another city thats about 4 hours away, but now I had to call that off due to this. I just dont know what to do. This has got to be one of the biggest set backs I can remember in years.

People always talk about foreign cars are keepers, and American cars suck...well I cant put my money on it, being an owner of both. I had an 87 buick was my first car, this 96 camry is my second...all in all the camry has caused me the most problems, but at the same time they were minor, existing problems (except the a/c...took hundreds to fix everything). The buick, had issues at first, a/c also messed up...I didnt drive it as far as the camry, but it was pretty durable. I guess foreign cars are great until they reach a certain amount of mile/age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,932,382 times
Sorry to hear about your situation. To be honest you need to find the $600 or $300--you said he would meet you half way to fix it.

Even Toyota's need to be maintained--on a 96 Camry timing belt needs to be changed every 60K miles. When was the last time you replaced it?

My friend has a 96 Camry with 240K miles. Reliable yes. But recently he had to put some money into it. The camshaft seals went bad and leaked oil all over the timing belt. About a 6 hour job to fix.

How many miles on your car?

I would suggest finding the money somewhere/somehow to fix it and start working again.--Certainly if they fix it for the price you said you are lucky! Cheer up Pal--brighter days are ahead!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
1st opinion imho ditch it. for the mechanic you got a great car. been there done that.
no life does not end, it just slows way down.
codependent no more get a better car.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
1st opinion imho ditch it. for the mechanic you got a great car. been there done that.
no life does not end, it just slows way down.
codependent no more get a better car.
Hello? He doesn't have the money

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,613,008 times
Like one poster put it, timing belts need to be changed on a regular basis. Can't bame the car for that one. How many miles do you have on it and have you taken good care of it?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Exactly Frisco...so thats it right there. And its not like Im just some broke joke that never takes care of the car, the mechanic knows whenever I go I usually get things fixed the same day, even a $300 CV job that probably could have waited awhile I did. But now I had the car towed there and didnt even have $1 to get it fixed. Im surprised they even disgnosed it without charging me...

The car has 164,6.. something miles. Recently the valve cover gasket leaked into the top of the engine and had to change spark plugs and wires AGAIN! For the 2nd time in ony 6 months had to change those. When I first bought the car about 1.5 years ago guy said timing belt was new. That was at 130K something miles, so maybe it was changed at 100K and now at 164 it dies.

I wish I listened to Toyota and Firestone they 'mentioned' fixing the timing belt, but didnt necessarily say it needed to. Since I didnt know how long ago it was fixed, I waited it out. Other things broke soon after they said that...like distributer cap and gasket seals. So I waited til something else happens...imagine replacing a timing belt that may last for another 10K, when the next day something completely unrelated happens.

How am I supposed to live like this?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
Exactly Frisco...so thats it right there. And its not like Im just some broke joke that never takes care of the car, the mechanic knows whenever I go I usually get things fixed the same day, even a $300 CV job that probably could have waited awhile I did. But now I had the car towed there and didnt even have $1 to get it fixed. Im surprised they even disgnosed it without charging me...

The car has 164,6.. something miles (probably elapsed the evil 666, have to double check) Recently the valve cover gasket leaked into the top of the engine and had to change spark plugs and wires AGAIN! For the 2nd time in ony 6 months had to change those. When I first bought the car about 1.5 years ago guy said timing belt was new. That was at 130K something miles, so maybe it was changed at 100K and now at 164 it dies.

I wish I listened to Toyota and Firestone they 'mentioned' fixing the timing belt, but didnt necessarily say it needed to. Since I didnt know how long ago it was fixed, I waited it out. Other things broke soon after they said that...like distributer cap and gasket seals. So I waited til something else happens...imagine replacing a timing belt that may last for another 10K, when the next day something completely unrelated happens.

How am I supposed to live like this?
Well first off it sounds like you have a honest mechanic and trust me they aren't easy to find.

I understand it stinks having to replace plugs and wires twice, but if the valve cover gasket goes bad and leaks oil all over them even new plugs need to be replaced.

Obviously when you bought the car they were not honest about previous timing belt changes, but you can't dwell on that now. That is in the past.

Your car is well made. If you had a Chrysler I would say get a bike

In my opinion fixing up your Camry will be cheaper than buying another car. Yes you will have to put some cash into it, but monthly payments on a new car can add up quick.

Once again get your timing belt fixed. Go back to work and save a little each week for a newer slightly used car.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 PM

17,233 posts, read 57,204,530 times
Life begins when you man up and learn how to look after a car, preferably by doing the maintenance yourself. Life begins when you budget enough $ to take care of car problems, rather than spend your last dime on A/C work (you *can* live without A/C) and on CV joints that you could have delayed, when you knew even if the belt was new 60K miles ago, even if the crooks you bought the car from were honest with you, the timing belt is about due and you are not set up to DIY.

Life begins when you learn you can run 2 older cars for less than one late model. Life begins when the first engine you have built from the ground up starts up and runs.

Life begins when you contemplate the deeds of men like Dick Marcenko, Chesty Puller, Vladimir Klitschko, Sir Edmund Hillary...I could go on but you should get the point. When you contemplate t what *real* heroes did in *real* adversity, and consider just how puny your current inconvenience, I won't even call it a problem, really is.

Life begins when you man up and make it begin.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 04-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Bold final point

Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,723,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
Just when things couldnt get any worse; my only car that is in relatively great condition '96 camry...dies. Supposedly its the timing belt. I say supposedly because I only got 1 estimate, but the tow truck guy from earlier told me its something else, like the fuel pump? He kept trying to start it, covering up vacuums and stuff but to no avail. But the muchanic I go to has fixed my car often and they after looking it over and starting it said it was the timing belt.

Anyways, I got the estimate for nearly $600. I know some will say its a good deal, and the guy even offered to meet me half-way on it...but I am so broke, that its not even funny. I've spent nearly $500 with this mechanic for CV and A/C work 2 months ago, then $300 while on the road last month. So Im ****ed out of all my car repair money. Whats worse, my night job hasnt been calling me lately and I am...excuse me WAS seeking a second job to cover. Well now looks like I cant go anywhere, there's no public transportation here to get to my night job even if they call on weekends....basically I feel like my things are taking a major hit.

Ok Im sounding silly right now, but its a disappointment. I had planned to do some contract work in another city thats about 4 hours away, but now I had to call that off due to this. I just dont know what to do. This has got to be one of the biggest set backs I can remember in years.

People always talk about foreign cars are keepers, and American cars suck...well I cant put my money on it, being an owner of both. I had an 87 buick was my first car, this 96 camry is my second...all in all the camry has caused me the most problems, but at the same time they were minor, existing problems (except the a/c...took hundreds to fix everything). The buick, had issues at first, a/c also messed up...I didnt drive it as far as the camry, but it was pretty durable. I guess foreign cars are great until they reach a certain amount of mile/age?
Are you in a place, or a position, to rent a car so that you don't miss job opportunities?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
and consider just how puny your current inconvenience, I won't even call it a problem, really is.

Life begins when you man up and make it begin.
Ok Mr. know it all...lets trade positions then. Let your only car be disabled and you figure out how to get around. Matter fact, let your BUSINESS car be disabled and figure out how you can make it to work.

And for your info, I take good care of my car. I may not let mechanics fix everything that isnt broken, but when things are amiss...I usually have them taken care of when I have the money.

This is not a puny inconvenienvce. There is no busses or trains around here to get me anywhere. I have 1 family member to rely on to get to work, and that person already has an overbooked worked schedule.

Dont depress me any further with your should have-could haves. Why are you adding injury to insult? Cant you seem Im already ****ed up enough? For ****s sake, give me a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Are you in a place, or a position, to rent a car so that you don't miss job opportunities?
No, not at the moment. If I did, I wouldnt need to come here and talk about life ending due to not being able to get around

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
rather than spend your last dime on A/C work (you *can* live without A/C) and on CV joints that you could have delayed, when you knew even if the belt was new 60K miles ago.
No, no , no...Listen I may be at a disadvantage but I refuse to let you talk to me like this! First a/c is not an option in Florida nor Texas in the summer time. I cant go to work sweating and drenched to the office because my a/c is out. You have no idea buddy. Plus that was last summer and I had well enough money in savings back then to do so. 2 months ago, I needed to replace a drier and valve cause the other mechanics didnt change it when they changed the compressor and evaporator. 2nd, those CV joints were messed up and were popping for months before Toyota finally told me it was the CV axle. 3rd...I had no idea the belt was new 60K miles ago...Im guessing that since it broke today, maybe it was changed at 100K. I didnt want to risk changing it earlier because when I bought it at 134K, the guy told me it had new water pump, timing belt, and oil change (oil was clean)...so I took his word on it.

Last edited by JoeyR; 04-28-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive