Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah to tell someone who has limited mechanical knowledge to go out buy a manual and tools to replace their timing belt is totally ridiculous.
That's exactly what I did. Needed brakes, did it in the back of a mall parking lot using nothing but the Haynes manual and a cheap tool kit (think $15 tool kit) I had from 10 years ago.

Did my timing belt on a Volvo 850 5 cylinder (interference engine nonetheless) using the same manual and a writeup on an internet forum because if it broke it was new engine time. $26 for the belt vs. $3k for an engine. Hmm.

I did what I had to do to keep my car running. It was either that or walk/ride bike/take taxi around town and to my job.

When I graduated college I had $6000 in CC debt. I sold my car to pay it off, and rode a bike to work.

Joey,

I lived in central FL and the next car I got (after riding a bike to work for several months) had no a/c. I didn't fix it because I knew I had other things that needed tending too and like yourself was lucky to have $500 in the bank at one time. In fact 6 years later it is still not fixed. I have plenty of $$ to do it now but I am waiting until I have the time to fix it myself. $1000 job for a mechanic to do it vs. $200 or so for me. It's not wise to waste $$ which is what you did by fixing a/c and CV joints instead of something that could strand you. You are lucky you didn't just destroy your engine.

OK enough preaching. Do what you can to fix the belt. Your next job is to either get a credit card and use it only for emergencies or save up $500 just for your car.

The Camry is a good car, continue doing routine mx on it (OIL CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!! every 3k) and don't cheap out. Don't fix things you don't need to fix if you are short of $$. You won't ever get ahead that way.

And for pete's sakes start doing stuff yourself. I just replaced the entire a/c system on my wifes car for $490 and I spent more than I needed to. Local shops wanted $1k-$1.2k. I also just bought a $360 air compressor to add to my growing list of tools. The more you have the more you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,914,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's exactly what I did. Needed brakes, did it in the back of a mall parking lot using nothing but the Haynes manual and a cheap tool kit (think $15 tool kit) I had from 10 years ago.

Did my timing belt on a Volvo 850 5 cylinder (interference engine nonetheless) using the same manual and a writeup on an internet forum because if it broke it was new engine time. $26 for the belt vs. $3k for an engine. Hmm.

I did what I had to do to keep my car running. It was either that or walk/ride bike/take taxi around town and to my job.

When I graduated college I had $6000 in CC debt. I sold my car to pay it off, and rode a bike to work.

Joey,

I lived in central FL and the next car I got (after riding a bike to work for several months) had no a/c. I didn't fix it because I knew I had other things that needed tending too and like yourself was lucky to have $500 in the bank at one time. In fact 6 years later it is still not fixed. I have plenty of $$ to do it now but I am waiting until I have the time to fix it myself. $1000 job for a mechanic to do it vs. $200 or so for me. It's not wise to waste $$ which is what you did by fixing a/c and CV joints instead of something that could strand you. You are lucky you didn't just destroy your engine.

OK enough preaching. Do what you can to fix the belt. Your next job is to either get a credit card and use it only for emergencies or save up $500 just for your car.

The Camry is a good car, continue doing routine mx on it (OIL CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!! every 3k) and don't cheap out. Don't fix things you don't need to fix if you are short of $$. You won't ever get ahead that way.

And for pete's sakes start doing stuff yourself. I just replaced the entire a/c system on my wifes car for $490 and I spent more than I needed to. Local shops wanted $1k-$1.2k. I also just bought a $360 air compressor to add to my growing list of tools. The more you have the more you can do.
I was impressed when you replaced your entire A/C system yourself. I would never think of doing that myself. Most mechanics I know would shy away from that type of job themselves. But I have to disagree that someone with limited mechanical knowledge can buy a manual and the tools and successfully replace their own timing belt.

I know some people can do it, but many of us just aren't as mechanically inclined as you are.

I just don't consider it wise to suggest that anyone can do complex mechanical work on their cars. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM

2 years ago I didn't know (or care) where the air filter was on the car. I guess my point was you learn by doing. Paying a shop to do this for $300 or even $600 is probably a good idea and a lesson. But if he doesn't learn from it he will always be in this predicament.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 PM

50 posts, read 291,602 times
Ok...mr fix it (wheelsup) Congratulations on fixing your timing belt and a/c

I do know how to fix some things in my car but its mostly interior stuff (speakers, windows, lights, fluids, etc.)

I have to disagree with your bragging about fixing your a/c. Most of those manuals dont suggest even working on a/c because the freon involved. In my case I had needed a new compressor and evaporator which called for removing the entire dashboard of my car. You expect a newbie to do that?

Thats what mechanics are for. To fix thing. Maybe if I still had a house with a garage I'd consider doing stuff like that. I changed a thermostat and installed a seatbelt and headlights in my 87 buick. Well, that was a 'fixer' anyways so I didnt mind. But now, I live in an uncovered apartment complex.

Im actually tempted to fix the belt myself if I dont end up coming across enough money to have 'labour' done but just enough for parts. I've been reading about it every night just to make me feel better (dont ask how reading about it makes me feel better, but it just does!) This is day 2 being at home and I'm already having 'episodes'. Its not the car Im so stressed about, its getting around. I used to live in downtown and took the buses and trains to work and school. Here, there isnt **** around. So you can understand my disgustion

Quote:
2 years ago I didn't know (or care) where the air filter was on the car.
Hello! I know how to change a damn air filter. Its right ****ing there, Im not stupid I know the basics like I said. Dont tell me a timing belt is a basic maintenance cause if it was people wouldnt be charging the amount they do.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Dude relax I'm saying 2 years ago I didn't even know where the air filter was. My point is you should continue to push your limits in repairs unless you want to be beholden to mechanics.

Yes I know that is what mechanics are for, to fix cars. If you have the $$ to pay them that is fine. If not either you walk or you fix it yourself. Or I guess you could complain on a message board that life has ended.

To answer your question about a/c you have a shop suck it down before opening it up. It was the first time I attempted it, I did my research and I'm damn proud of it .

Life sucks man, 3 months after buying my house I took a 40% pay cut and the wife quit her job so we could relocate. But I didn't come on here and ***** about it. I dealt with it.

Do you have access to a credit card? Now would be the perfect time to use it. How old are you? Do you have family that could loan you $$?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Step by step w/ pics

DIY: GEN3 Timing Belt + Waterpump + Oil Seal Change - Part 1 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

DIY: GEN3 Timing Belt + Waterpump + Oil Seal Change - Part 2 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Looks fun! $600 seems like a pretty decent price for someone to do it.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
I know some of the basics, but hell there's some things that just arent easy to do. Hell, I've even been to some auto places where the shop workers still have to grab a co-mechanic to help them do something or figure something out. Telling me to work on it myself does NOT help the situation right now. I also just found toyotanation.com and read a few of their repair manuals, but still without money for parts Im still ****ing ****ed!
Well since you just joined toyotanation, head over to your regional forum and beg for help from the membership. I know with the Honda forums, we've had many a meet to help out friends on the boards. If you lived in CT, there's a guy that would have worked on your car for a case of beer... just don't let him start drinking it until he finishes the work on your car. And those car message boards are a great source for finding cheap parts for your car. Some vendors advertise discounts and group buys. There's one vendor that has owm timing belt kits (timing belt, water pump and tensioner) that are about $100 cheaper than the ones from the dealership.

And yes, I can think of at least four guys I know that taught themselves to work on their own cars through neccessity and for the love of their vehicles. In high school, my boyfriend learned how to rebuild his automatic tranny PLUS add in extra clutch packs for beefiness just because he didn't have the $1500 to pay a garage to fix his car as his parents weren't going to help him out.

Anyway, this is a forum to talk about cars, not whine about ones poor finances. So stop whining about your lack of funds since we can't do anything about that for you. All we can offer is advice on how to fix your mechanical problems.

And... I think that in your situation, it would be very unwise to take a loan out against the title of your car. Those loans charge high interest rates and before you know it, you will owe more on your car's title than it's worth. And on that note, I advise you to head over the the Business forum here and start hanging out in the Frugal Living and Personal Finance section. You can't keep living the way you are living now and for the last few years. The whole point of owning a cheap beater car is to be able to save money. I don't doubt that you are a hard worker, but you have to start keeping a journal of all of your daily expenses and figuring out where your money is going and how to get ahead in life, instead of falling behind like you are currently doing.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
Quote:
Wow - very helpful stuff!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 PM

50 posts, read 291,602 times
Ok...although some of you unnecessarily criticized the situation on hand (miu), (while others gave fair advice) I re-thought the situation and...

I think I decided to go ahead and do this myself. The other day I was doing a test to see if it was really the timing belt that broke, and so just dove in and took off the distributer cap (along with the intake hose) and had someone start it to see if it turned. Its didnt.

Anyway, Once I got started working on it it was just alot easier, although finding the right size screws was hard, so I'd have to buy a bigger kit. Hell its my **** so I might as well figure out the engine. Besides some mechanics ****ing suck...had 2 who couldnt even put my damn headlights on right the first time. So **** it I'll just do this one myself. Not saying I'll always be working on my car myself because I'm just not inclined to do so...but some things I think I can.

Like the distributer cap? **** I could have fixed that when it broke last year. I used to like to take things apart at one point in life, but I didnt want my car to end up like some of those freak cars you see on the road, you know...maybe headlights wont turn off or something, or the belt all sqeaky because someone tried to **do it themselves** and didnt do it right. But I think if I read the instructions a few times over I should get it right.

Thanks for the encouragement...In a way I do like the idea of not having to depend on someone to do it. And if I need help I'll ring someone up from craigslist. I've already spoke to 4 people. Matter fact, each of you give me your #'s so I can call you if I get stuck

by the way, I've got the $ side all sorted, it was just a ****ty week that time....it just seemed to obscure all reasoning and thinking

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
^ Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive