Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 PM

50 posts, read 291,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
that **** looks hard. but I beat ya to it, I read it like last week. Tell me that **** looks easy? You really have to have the right tools. Thats also what mechanics are for. I live in a complex, no garage.

I think I take that back about fixing the belt myself, cause I bet the seals need to be done also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,224,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyR View Post
that **** looks hard. but I beat ya to it, I read it like last week. Tell me that **** looks easy? You really have to have the right tools. Thats also what mechanics are for. I live in a complex, no garage.

I think I take that back about fixing the belt myself, cause I bet the seals need to be done also
So... have you posted on the Toyotanation message board asking for mechanical help yet? Make your help post in the Florida regional section. There's gotta be some members local to you that can help you out. Honda message board people help each other out all of the time.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,496,934 times
Quote:

Yeah thats why I mentioned $600 for someone to do it isn't a bad deal. Personally if this were my car in your situation I'd pay someone to do it. If it needs seals than make sure they know to replace everything while they are there if you plan to keep the car.

To put it in perspective here is how you do it on my car:
850 S/V/C 70 Timing Belt Replacement (http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php - broken link)

Although they didn't detail changing the cam seals so it is a lot shorter. Something I find funny is Toyota used AISIN to make their timing components and so does/did Volvo.

Upon further inspection I think changing just the belt out is probably doable by yourself. If you think you can do it yourself just do the belt and nothing else. Then you will have a running car, and the majority of that technical work was for the cam seals I think. Then budget to do the whole job *right* either with a shop or yourself in the future. If I was in your situation I would probably do that. To put it in perspective my car has a leaky rear main seal, cost ~$700 to fix. I just add oil. No need to pour money into it now, when it gets another tranny I'll have it fixed at the same time.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-09-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 32,958 times
Doesn't sound like JOEYR is in too much of a rush to get his car fixed. He already got good deals from his mechanic and from craigslist. Suddenly he has come into money and still doesn't know what to do.

Yeah go ahead and try to fix it yourself. You'll regret ever posting here.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:

You know what... You need to have a professional do the job. Dual Overhead Cam engines can be a royal pain in the butt to change timing belts on - especially if the old one is broken.

I've re-read all of your posts, and while I don't want to be offensive in any way, I think this job is going to be beyond what you can do.

I guess one way to look at it is that $600 is a lot less money than it'd cost you to buy a different car.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM

50 posts, read 291,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGokey View Post
Doesn't sound like JOEYR is in too much of a rush to get his car fixed. He already got good deals from his mechanic and from craigslist. Suddenly he has come into money and still doesn't know what to do.

Yeah go ahead and try to fix it yourself. You'll regret ever posting here.
Oh put a cork in it! I didnt say I had the cash in my hand at the moment, I said I figured out the money end. I dont have to explain it, but its not here right yet but when it does get here I'll find someone who can work on it.

And why the hell would I regret posting here? You're trying to get me deleted off of city data arent you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You know what... You need to have a professional do the job. Dual Overhead Cam engines can be a royal pain in the butt to change timing belts on - especially if the old one is broken!
great, just great. Thanks for all the city-data know it alls who got my hopes up only to kick me in the teeth and tell me Im not qualified for the job. I wish some of you actually looked into what the job would entail instead of making me feel like **** over the fact of not being able to fix my timing belt myself.

Maybe I can fix it myself? I dont know...honestly I just dont want to go through the aggravation of it. I live in a apartment complex, I have no garage so if it starts pouring out of no where (its been overcast here everyday every since my car broke down 2 weeks ago) thats just going to be an annoyance. Unlike some of you, I dont live in a suburban home with a garage and house full of tools ok. So cut me some slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I guess one way to look at it is that $600 is a lot less money than it'd cost you to buy a different car.

Good luck!
oh btw...actually I found someone to do it for $312.something cents. The dealership. So they can take that 600 and stick it up their ****ing ass!

Last edited by JoeyR; 05-09-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,496,934 times
Sounds like a decent price plus you know it'll be done right. Good to see you are back on your feet again or at least headed in the right direction. When I was 22 and just graduated college I inherited a car that I still have. I didn't take very good care of it until I had my first big "scare" where not tending to it almost cost me the car. Since then I've tried to treat it well. This might be your wake up call. After that scare I started doing stuff myself and haven't looked back. I also lived in an apartment complex and made practically no money, around $800/month. So it was tough but I did it. You car probably has years of service left, don't give up on it!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,522,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Life begins when you man up and learn how to look after a car, preferably by doing the maintenance yourself. Life begins when you budget enough $ to take care of car problems, rather than spend your last dime on A/C work (you *can* live without A/C) and on CV joints that you could have delayed, when you knew even if the belt was new 60K miles ago, even if the crooks you bought the car from were honest with you, the timing belt is about due and you are not set up to DIY.

Life begins when you learn you can run 2 older cars for less than one late model. Life begins when the first engine you have built from the ground up starts up and runs.

Life begins when you contemplate the deeds of men like Dick Marcenko, Chesty Puller, Vladimir Klitschko, Sir Edmund Hillary...I could go on but you should get the point. When you contemplate t what *real* heroes did in *real* adversity, and consider just how puny your current inconvenience, I won't even call it a problem, really is.

Life begins when you man up and make it begin.
Great advice, and not just about the car.

This thread is a freaking soap opera. It's a timing belt, not a malignant brain tumor.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:
great, just great. Thanks for all the city-data know it alls who got my hopes up only to kick me in the teeth and tell me Im not qualified for the job. I wish some of you actually looked into what the job would entail instead of making me feel like **** over the fact of not being able to fix my timing belt myself.

Maybe I can fix it myself? I dont know...honestly I just dont want to go through the aggravation of it. I live in a apartment complex, I have no garage so if it starts pouring out of no where (its been overcast here everyday every since my car broke down 2 weeks ago) thats just going to be an annoyance. Unlike some of you, I dont live in a suburban home with a garage and house full of tools ok. So cut me some slack.
People here are being honest with you, so how 'bout you stop being such a melodramatic little butt-munch? I have replaced timing belts on DOHC engines, after the belt broke. It's a pain in the butt, and I don't think you're going to be able to do it - especially if you don't have the tools necessary.

But go ahead and give it a whirl if you wish.

Regardless... you've been on here whining about it for almost 2 weeks now. I think it's time for you to man up and make a decision regarding what you're going to do.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,179,994 times
The $312 job, I would bet, does not include doing the water pump, at least on the 3S-FE it's got a cogged pulley, is driven by the timing belt, I guess you don't technically *have* to replace it with the TB but that would be a lot less labor than to go in after the fact and change a leaking or squealing water pump.

These Toy engines are sort of unique amongst DOHC in that they have only a single cam drive pulley, IIRC it drives the intake cam, which drives the exhaust cam by a gear.

I would hesitate to do this job in an apartment parking lot, although, it could definitely be done, in that case I might very well leave the water pump alone and just slap in a belt, get the cam/crank timing set up, and call it a day. If I were going that route I'd try to get a couple of buds over, so as not to leave the car unattended, and start early on a Saturday, for example. I probably would put in a new roller, it's just too easy to do while the belt is out.

This is beyond the difficulty of an old-school "points 'n plugs" parking lot tuneup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive