Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 15,792 times

Advertisements

Our 93 Honda Accord L4 2.2L 2156cc engine, std transmission is tooling along nicely when it just simply dies. The engine lights come on, all electrical components are working. It restarts usually after a little bit. I've tried to get the dealer to diagnose it, and after a week, was still unable to figure it out. I've tried checking the fuel pressure...it's ok. The ignition switch module...it's ok. The air flow supply...it's ok. Anyone had this problem and gotten it solved? The car runs great, except for this.
I would appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 PM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
Does it happen when the fuel is low ?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Could be a crank/cam position sensor is going bad.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:09 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Ok lets eliminate a few things. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? That is the first thing I would start with. Even if the fuel pressure tested good it might still be plugged. If you dont want to change it then carry a fuel pressure gauge with you and check it when the car dies. If that does not cure the problem then look else where

Next time it happens hurry get out and check for spark. Heat can cause a coil to break down internally. That could be why when it sits for a bit it cools off and starts to work again.

After that I would check exhaust flow. If your cat is plugged the car will run till the pressure becomes too great. It slowly releases after it dies and you go again.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
We all have our VICES and do not hesitate to spend the money accordingly.

Seven yrs old and things need to be replaced BEFORE they break down on the road somewhere. Best rule of thumb is to keep a record of what was replaced as to mileage/date as a reference point to narrow down a problem.

A car runs on Gas and Electricity...two main points.

A simple tuneup before really needed (no sense in squeezing a extra 735.5 more miles before having it done) is a good idea. That would be like running a car tire down to the steel belt before buying a new set.

Simple low cost items over time will prevent major expenses down the road.

I'm a retired mechanic and last week crossed the border into SD and within two miles my clutch shaft in the trans broke leaving me stranded at a gas station. This particular part was okay a few months ago on inspection but still things can and will break when least expected. I sat for six hrs waiting for my next door neighbor to tow me back home. Traffic and border crossing times can be a bear.

So you see things can happen when least expected. My car is an old model and not everyone has the knowledge to work on them, besides I have a custom TURBO engine and they do not have the total smarts needed.

A potential VW shop would have been a crap shoot (based upon the various cars sitting in their lot) so I oppted to return home. 2-3 days there and staying at a Motel...no thanks.

Long story for naught here I suppose...just an inkling on what can happen when the electrical or gas part is not replaced until it dies a few times when driving.

My dad was a mechanic of 40 yrs and he always said that it was a good rule of thumb to replace some parts while they are still working...better now in the shop then down on some desolate hwy.

Hope my story has some people thinking a little.

Steve

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
On them cars the distributor is a real weak "spot".

I ought to know, I had a 1992 Accord when it just died without notice and good thing it happened in a supermarket parking lot and not on the road someplace.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
There should be some fault codes that can be read. I would think the dealer would have checked this, and also would have checked that the fuel filter was not way overdue for a change.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
The only time this happened to me was with a 69 Camaro. The voltage regulator called it quits while on the interstate at night. The car wouldn't restart, though. Steve - the OP's Honda is 17 years old.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
When I was seven....................................teen...it was a very good year.

Forgot ...that was Sinatra....my booboo in typing.

Steve

Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Some things to check on a Honda of this vintage: the "main relay," about $60 from the dealer, and the ignition switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura