Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,090,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Wow, that's an evenly splattered piece of bird's shyt.
Velocity caused that I would imagine you should have seen the whole truck a couple of weeks ago when a huge flock of geese flew over....unreal amount of dung came out of those things....they must have ate at Taco Bell just before they flew over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You are talking so far over my head with kelvins and such that I'm not sure you are even talking about headlights anymore....all I TRULY know is that I can't see crap with them (as evidenced by my bug screen) and they take all of the color out of things at night.If you drive under a street light at night,you can't even tell they are on behind the windshield.They suck major butt imho.Two thumbs down.

Ha.lol I think you got jipped. Your essentially running regular halogens with blue tint on the bulbs. That's why they're not that bright, I had those when I was in high school, they do stink. Then I stopped being a cheap skate and bought true High intensity discharge headlights. I hooked up the Ballast et cetera all by myself. Not hard what so ever. Mine run 35 watts, almost half of what my halogens ran. I get lots and lots of compliments on the headlights. I love em.

They're so bright too, that's one way to tell if you have true Hid's.

Key to High Intensity Discharge headlamps. ------------
Brightness: 1 star being not so bright and 5 being brightest

3000K are yellow, usually used as fog lights***
4300K are closer to white****
6000K are ultra white*****
8000K are bluish***1/2
10000K are more violet**1/2
12000K are more pink.**

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Ha.lol I think you got jipped. Your essentially running regular halogens with blue tint on the bulbs. That's why they're not that bright, I had those when I was in high school, they do stink. Then I stopped being a cheap skate and bought true High intensity discharge headlights. I hooked up the Ballast et cetera all by myself. Not hard what so ever. Mine run 35 watts, almost half of what my halogens ran. I get lots and lots of compliments on the headlights. I love em.

They're so bright too, that's one way to tell if you have true Hid's.

Key to High Intensity Discharge headlamps. ------------
Brightness: 1 star being not so bright and 5 being brightest

3000K are yellow, usually used as fog lights***
4300K are closer to white****
6000K are ultra white*****
8000K are bluish***1/2
10000K are more violet**1/2
12000K are more pink.**
You are more likely than not right...I didn't have to hook up a ballast or anything else,just plug and play.....they ARE bright as hell,just to diffused or something(hard to describe.......crappy I think describes them best).....they do LOOK cool tho',but if I ram into a deer at 75-80 mph because I can't see him then I don't think cool really counts then does it?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You are more likely than not right...I didn't have to hook up a ballast or anything else,just plug and play.....they ARE bright as hell,just to diffused or something(hard to describe.......crappy I think describes them best).....they do LOOK cool tho',but if I ram into a deer at 75-80 mph because I can't see him then I don't think cool really counts then does it?

I'm not sure I understand you? Your saying I'm wrong? I said hid's require ballast. I know your's are plug and play I'm guessing they're Nokya's. Or Piaa? You need projectors that's why the light is diffused. Hid's require ballast to ignite the gas inside the Xenon bulb because in a xenon bulb there isn't a filament like a regular halogen.

Are we on the same page now?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,969,830 times
Quote:
I paid $63 for mine. Based on the directions a caveman can install them.
Are they really Xenon or just different color bulbs bright bulbs? The Xenon lights are extremely bright but require ballasts / ignitors that are more expensive and often don't fit well in a car that not designed for them.

Just a bulb called HID is not in the same class of lighting intensity.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
I paid $63 for mine. Based on the directions a caveman can install them.
Sounds like a Super Deal to me, Cat.

A friend of mine has a "just out of warranty" Acura . . . the cost for replacing one burned out HID was in excess of 500 bucks.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm not sure I understand you? Your saying I'm wrong? I said hid's require ballast. I know your's are plug and play I'm guessing they're Nokya's. Or Piaa? You need projectors that's why the light is diffused. Hid's require ballast to ignite the gas inside the Xenon bulb because in a xenon bulb there isn't a filament like a regular halogen.

Are we on the same page now?
LMAO...NO...I'm saying YOU ARE PROBABABLY RIGHT!!! lol....I need to straighten my hillbilly talk out on here I guess

Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sounds like a Super Deal to me, Cat.

A friend of mine has a "just out of warranty" Acura . . . the cost for replacing one burned out HID was in excess of 500 bucks.
WOW!!!!!! You can buy an a trailer ,5 acres of ground plus an Asian bride around here for $500

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,347,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Are they really Xenon or just different color bulbs bright bulbs? The Xenon lights are extremely bright but require ballasts / ignitors that are more expensive and often don't fit well in a car that not designed for them.

Just a bulb called HID is not in the same class of lighting intensity.

They're real HID's. They came with the ballasts and all the necesary hardware. I installed them yesterday on the Murano and they look awesome.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,347,265 times
Over here at the Lexus dealer I work for, some HID bulbs retail close to $500. When customers call asking for them and I tell them the price I always hear either a dead silence, a "Oh my God" or a curse. Some of the techs use the warranty HID headlights and modify them to fit their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive