Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM

127 posts, read 747,687 times

Advertisements

I need a new radiator for my 1997 Nissan Altima. It developed a hairline crack in the plastic tank near the cap after 150K miles. I patched it with some epoxy that is holding nicely, but this can't be relied upon forever.

Here's my question:
Local auto stores have the part in stock for about $130 but some online retailers have the thing for as little as 50 bucks. I plan to keep this car for another 2-3 years tops. I want to put a decent part in, but at this point it does not have to be top of the line. Are the cheap online sellers to crappy to even consider?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Don't cheap out on a no name (probably chinese made) radiator. $150 is cheap enough to just do the name brand route.

I've seen the cheap ones fail in as little as 5k miles.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Greatly depends upon what you're comparing ...

The replacement radiator you are seeing online may be the same item, from the same manufacturer, made to the same specs with the same materials ... as the one from the local parts store. So you may be spending a lot more money locally to buy the same quality product. I've been burned more than once this way when the parts store radiator was the same low line import product as the folks sell online.

Unless you're buying the OE radiator ... either from a dealer or from an aftermarket supplier who has the same item, you'll typically be buying a lesser quality product. Even the "big names" in the industry don't make replacement radiators for import cars, they buy them offshore and put them in their box so that they have the item in their catalogue.

As an alternative suggestion ... since you're only planning on keeping the car for a short time at minimal expense ... have you considered buying a used radiator from a boneyard?

In the meantime, the epoxy fix might just last a long time. I've done a lot of these with long term success where the damage wasn't too structural and the radiator had not been overheated. Is there any reason why you must replace the radiator before this repair starts to fail? Is it possible that if it does, that you could clean up the repair area and epoxy it again to last for the time you need it to work?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM

127 posts, read 747,687 times
Thanks for the input sunsprit. I will investigate the used radiator option. In terms of the epoxy fix, I was actually surprised it worked so well, but I know deep down it is not a permanent fix. It is simply a matter of when it will fail, and if I am stranded somewhere I will kick myself real hard for not simply getting the part.
Tomorrow I will price the real deal at the dealership just to get a reference point and also see about a junk yard part. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive