Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like buying vehicles that are made in Mexico?
I don't mind buying vehicles from Mexico. 44 53.01%
I will not buy vehicles from Mexico. 39 46.99%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Who cares where it's made? My main concern is the quality of the parts, how well it drives, and what I'm getting for the money. I used to have a VW Passat that was built in Mexico (parts came from Germany), and it was a great car... drove it HARD for seven years, and it didn't have problems until the last year or so. Now I drive a 2005 Honda Accord, which was probably made in Mexico too (), and it's the best car I've had yet.

I don't think we should be so selfish... and as "GoPadge" said, maybe the immigration issue would improve if they had more jobs down there?? Americans are still getting plenty of work from the auto industry, even when they're built somewhere else... we have to transport them, sell them, assemble certain parts, etc. You have the right to buy whatever you want, but I prefer to choose my cars based on quality - not on who put it together. That's a huge investment, so I'm just being a smart consumer.

P.S. I actually wouldn't buy a Chevy regardless, since I hate how they drive... I'm more into foreign cars, especially German or Japanese, since I like a heavy & fast stick-shift (which American manufacturers don't seem to do well). Though a classic Corvette or Mustang would be pretty cool!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
Gm makes crap ! Heres my review ... 33,000,000 { 1995-2004} cars & trucks that had gasket problems because of dexcool coolant.... Headgaskets blowing after they melt away. After gm had their dealers fix the problem. {on your dime ?} the dealers put dexcool back in ! Citing " they didnt know " cadillacs made in mexico. If you go to the wrecking yard alot, it becomes very clear.... As far as lincoln or cadillac go, theirs usually about 8 dead cadillacs, for every 1 lincoln. If that doesnt convince you. Test drive both first. Lmao, if you like, clunk ! Get a caddy youll have plenty of that !

Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,389,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Oh mannn I'm going to here it.

I don't care where the vehicle is made...

I WILL NOT buy a Chevy.

Or a GM...

Or Ford..

Or anything!

I hate all car companies equally, because they want to charge you so much for the very little you get.

Well I don't hate all car companies...
I use to like Geo... Then Chevy/Gm bought them... Then I did! lol.

I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to cars.

My next car will be a Geo. Then it's going to be turned into an EV! yayy! EV!
I hate to break it to you, but Geo was always a GM brand.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
I don't care what the name is, if the majority of the car was not made in the states, I will not buy it. The reliability has to do with the quality policy of the company, and what suppliers it chooses to use. We employee too many directly and indirectly with the automotive industry not to buy something made in the states. It doesn't have to be GM, Ford or Chrystler either, you can buy Nissans, Toyotas, Mercedes, Hondas, and Kias made in the states.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 AM

844 posts, read 2,102,403 times
I bought an HHR from Mexico. It seemed to be constructed just as well as anything from Japan in that price range. I say go for it!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I bought an HHR from Mexico. It seemed to be constructed just as well as anything from Japan in that price range. I say go for it!
The HHR doesn't even come close to the lowest quality product sold in the states from a Japanese auto manufacturer. This isn't the fault of the Mexicans who assembled it, it is just an awful product to begin with.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but Geo was always a GM brand.
I hate to break it to YOU, but that post was over two years ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM

844 posts, read 2,102,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I hate to break it to YOU, but that post was over two years ago.
As long as you're not the one who revitalized a two year old thread, then it's okay... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The HHR doesn't even come close to the lowest quality product sold in the states from a Japanese auto manufacturer. This isn't the fault of the Mexicans who assembled it, it is just an awful product to begin with.
Awwwww. One day you're my friend, then the next... oh well Was it the NSX debate?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
As long as you're not the one who revitalized a two year old thread, then it's okay... right?
I think that's the generally accepted rule. At least when it comes to responding to questions raised that long ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:

Awwwww. One day you're my friend, then the next... oh well Was it the NSX debate?
lol, it's nothing personal, I just didn't like the car very much after spending a week with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive